Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddiesverus
    • Dec 2008

10.4 upgrade

I Just Got my Verus update to 10.4, So far I agree with Wheel and Phill, I Also used many graphs always and viewed 12 to 16 graphed pids, it just make it easier to spot problems instead of having to scroll through the whole list. but what now upsets me the most is that I lost the ability to see the scan data and view the Scope/DMM windows side by side. Previously I loved this feature, I used it every time. Now I can't!! you can have them running at the same time but you cant view them together, you have to switch from one window or the other. I do like that its easier to identify and load the scanner, and the worksheet is been improved and easier to use, the way to navigate is much better and faster, but the boot and loading time is way longer than before, also I noticed the Verus running much slower now than before, even with the 1GB memory upgrade. I hope that SnapOn did this change for a good reason such as adding the wireless capabilities to the Verus from the Verdict. other wise like Phill said they should of asked us before changing the User Interface.
    Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• hawkhunter
      • Sep 2007

Also...

Also gone seems to be the ability to chang text size. This feature was great for big pids while on test drives or viewing from a distance, the more I use this the more disapointed I become.

Comment

• phill57
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Wheel
        You could also drag a pid off the list at left and drop it on the graph screen and change the graph order that way - WITHOUT having to scroll your graphs! Try that with the new interface.
        Wow, I have had my Verus for almost two years now and I knew I could drag graphs around on the graph side and text versions of the PIDs on the text side but I didn't realize you could drag them from the left text view to where you want them on the right graph view. Very handy! Too bad this feature will not be available with 10.4.

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

WOW !!! your right, it does work on the 10.2. I had no idea, double click to the left of the pid text you wish to see in the graph, it;ll turn a shade of gray, then drag it to the heading part of the graph where you wish to see it, cool. Two years and I finally figure this out, I'm a little slow I guess.
          Last edited by greasybob; 10-25-2010, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

Even cooler than that, you can do the same thing with any recorded movies you have !! I should have payed more attention when watching the instruction videos.

Comment

• Wheel
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by phill57
              I agree with Wheel 110%. I almost always use 12 to 16 graphs and the ability to organize the PIDs into a list that is in "my order" is extremely helpful. I had previously suggested that it would be nice to be able to build a "custom PID list in a specific order, while working on a vehicle, and be able to save and possibly recall that same list, at least while working on this vehicle. The OTC Genisys will reload the vehicle PID list in the same order and graph/text as was previously used.

I use the full pid list on one screen as you mentioned to see what is available and also to look at Freeze Frame data and capture a screen for print. I guess we can't do that now either?

I use the split screen to quickly see which pids are being graphed and drag the scroll bar down until I see in the highlighted list, the PIDs I want to graph. I can give several examples of where these features are priceless.

I have yet to "upgrade" to 10.4 but given the takeaways I am pretty sure I am going to wait and see what happens.

I think most of us Verus power users had no problem with the use of the stylus. I added a tether string so I would not leave it in the car. I noticed when using the Verdict that the interface is designed to be operated with a finger but some icons are still too small to activate with a greasy finger so I would prefer the stylus myself.

I would like to think that Snap-On acts on suggestions from their end users but I don't recall asking for some of these "improvements". I think that the 10.2 Verus, (Shopstream), software would not work on the small Verdict screen, because of the limited space, so they decided to drop it in favor of the Verdict format. They probably decided to just go with one software supplier to save money. I sure wish they would ask us what we want first and not take things away.
              Having your "ordered the way you want it" pid list remembered and recallable would be priceless. It has been so handy on my Genisys, which has had it for years. I also discovered when I got the 2009 Genisys update that the custom data list selection where you choose which pids to see and which to turn off is now saved ! Boy does Snap On need to do this for all their scanners !!!
              It is real aggravating to have to take the time to build this list then have to exit to check codes, consult troubleshooter, etc and come back only to have to waste more time to totally redo your list when you could be making money.

I forgot about viewing the freeze frame with the full pid list. To me, that's the ONLY way to view and print freeze frame. I have a pdf printer program on my Verus that I use to print to a pdf file and save it to disk. Try that in 10.4.

The value of the split screen the way it was is extremely well thought out and very efficient. Priceless.

I admit I do find the stylus awkward at times, making me miss the thumbpad of my Modis in some situations, but I don't mind it because it is more precise than my greasy or solvent laden fingers. Speaking of grease or plastic - hungry chemicals on your fingers - do you really want to be touching your screen with them, even with a screen protector? I do a lot of brake system pressure testing, and we all know how kind that brake fluid is to touch screens - that stylus is sure starting to sound pretty good to me !!!

The Verus and Verdict are two very different machines, and two very good machines how they were originally designed. If they try to make "one size fits all" software for both machines, then they will have two pieces of junk they won't be able to sell. Verus is still a fairly new platform that they needed to iron out a few bugs in, and they have been doing a good job of it...until 10.4. Now we get to start all over again with our bug ironing !!! no thanks!!!

I understand that Snap On builds these tools and they don't need our permission to change anything, but by the same token, we don't have to buy their stuff if it no longer meets our needs, and we won't. If our business is important to them, they'll listen, and we'll keep buying. If not... well, we'll see within the next few months where we stand.

When they came out with the Verus, it was as though Snap On read my mind in what I wanted in a scanner and delivered. With 10.4 it's as if someone at Snap On with a vendetta against me read my mind and nuked all the things I liked best about it.
              You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by eddiesverus
                I Just Got my Verus update to 10.4, So far I agree with Wheel and Phill, I Also used many graphs always and viewed 12 to 16 graphed pids, it just make it easier to spot problems instead of having to scroll through the whole list. but what now upsets me the most is that I lost the ability to see the scan data and view the Scope/DMM windows side by side. Previously I loved this feature, I used it every time. Now I can't!! you can have them running at the same time but you cant view them together, you have to switch from one window or the other. I do like that its easier to identify and load the scanner, and the worksheet is been improved and easier to use, the way to navigate is much better and faster, but the boot and loading time is way longer than before, also I noticed the Verus running much slower now than before, even with the 1GB memory upgrade. I hope that SnapOn did this change for a good reason such as adding the wireless capabilities to the Verus from the Verdict. other wise like Phill said they should of asked us before changing the User Interface.
                Slower too? Another strike against it. Probably the pretty interface. I know "pretty" slows things down in Windows substantially. Fortunately Microsoft gives you the option to turn all that pretty stuff off to gain performance. Not so for 10.4. Hey, thanks for bringing this to our attention.
                You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by hawkhunter
                  Also gone seems to be the ability to chang text size. This feature was great for big pids while on test drives or viewing from a distance, the more I use this the more disapointed I become.
                  The old interface sure gave one a lot of choices which are now gone, and
                  this ability was a good one. The more of this I hear, the less I want 10.4.

Comment

• Wheel
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
                    Even cooler than that, you can do the same thing with any recorded movies you have !! I should have payed more attention when watching the instruction videos.
                    I don't think that was in the videos, but I could be mistaken.
                    Glad I could contribute a useful tip.
                    Yep, too bad 10.4 can't do that, either.
                    Makes one wonder what other subtle but important advantages 10.2 has
                    over 10.4.

Comment

• Claytons Automotive
                      • Jun 2010

Better be prepaired for a longer wait than that. Mine was gone just over 6 weeks. I sent it in because of constant lock ups, no wireless internet, and just slow in general. When I got it back all my saved data was gone. I phoned customer support to find out what was fixed and actually got a tech in california, they could not tell me what had been repaired or done, but several people later did learn that they thought the hard drive was replaced as well as the wireless card inside and a fresh install of OS and software. It worked for about three weeks and slowed right down again, still locks up all the time, but at least if I stand right in front of my wireless router can connect to the internet (5 feet away I lose it again but at least it is there).

Comment

Working...