Making a Backup of a CF card a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Making a Backup of a CF card a good idea?

I was just reading a thread about some unfortunate person that reformatted his Master 7.2 CF card on his Ethos. I know he meant only to erase the saved vehicles, but he was SOL and now has to pay to send it in for repair and get it back with with 7.2, or pay to update the board and get 12.4.
    I have a Solus with 6.4 that I took the Master CF card out of , put it in a CF card reader and copied the files to a 10 year old desktop PC running open source UBUNTU OS to save files only for backup just in case the Master card were to take a Sh@t, get damaged or lost , I could at least attempt to burn a copy. From the CF card reader, I was able to view the MB size of the CF card and names of all the individual files on the CF card, so I copied them to my PC for backup like I believe any person with valuable data should do. If you paid for it , it is your valuable data that should be backed up should something happen.
    I bought a larger 512MB Cisco Approved Industrial Grade CF card to be ready when I decide to update my Solus , but think I need a larger CF Card If I decide to update to 12.4 (with Euro). Since getting the 512 MB card I beleive 12.4 with Euro is on a bigger card. I definitely want to make a backup . Anyone clone another backup CF card that burned ok and worked when the original card got damaged, corrupted or lost? I'm not talking about pirating to try in a different unit, I'm talking about making a clone CF card to be used in same unit.
    Following day: I did figure out how to make a backup CF card, however the copy of the card it doesn't work as a spare and displays a security error message on screen after start up and I couldn't do anything but shut it down . Hey At least I didn't see a skull and crossbones with profanity in a balloon.
    Last edited by Witsend; 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM.
  • Skip
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2008

If it is possible, I bet it is difficult. This is done to prevent folks from selling copies of their software. Thats where the security error comes in.

Comment

• nmav
      • Mar 2013

You would need an extra file in order for the backup card running smoothly.

Comment

• powerstroke
        • Aug 2013

Security Error

I modis with 6.2 software is getting a security alert error. Anyway to clear it?

THANKS

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Solus CF card Backup revisited

A few years ago my old Solus was planned to be updated but was acting glitchy, so before trying a recovery I cleared out all the vehicle records and tried to make a backup of original 256mb CF card for my old Solus with 6.4 and put on a larger 512MB card but my Windows PC may not have either copied security file to new folder on PC or just didn't transfer the necessary security code part of copied files to the larger CF card that would have allowed unit to boot up without error. I'm wondering if I used Cloning Software to make the back up of the CF card like some folk say they have used to upgrade a Verus HD to SSD it might have worked.
          Well, not being able to make a backup CF card to try to determine if The glitchyness was the Solus unit or it may have just needed a fresh CF card.I wasn't about to pay for an update to find out unit still acts glitchy
          Besides a MT 2500 with Euro for older cars , because of that aggravation I now have a M----Das that originally came with a 4GB class 4 card (16 times bigger than 256MB one in my old Solus )that is married to the DS unit that I copied files to a folder and put on a 16GB class 10 card with no problem and that's still married to the same DS unit without resorting to any special Cloning software. My DS 708 now uses whopping 3.664 GB of SD card file space. Probably over half the space used it is for makes I will never see in my shop and scanner has no fast track troubleshooter or pathfinder.
          I don't know how the software geeks can keep up with the exponential growth of all this information get the Bi directional controls to work without smoking something once in awhile. My brain hurts just thinking about it.

Comment

• dlm1
            • Jul 2014

Cloning the Card should not be an issue, I would think.
            My VP had a 247mb original CF card in it, I was using a 1 gig as CF2 to store my data on.
            25 minutes ago I decided to copy my card to the 1 gig card, Did not format it or anything, Just did a copy with some soft I had, sorta expected it to crash and burn, stayed up late last night scouring the forums for info regarding this, asked a couple of guys about it in PM`s This morning also. NADA NADA..(Not Applicable Dont Attempt). :-)
            So between Jobs I did the deed..half expecting it to crash, but so annoyed at My tester that I was committed to the deed. Only a couple of weeks with this Jewel and I already licked the red off my "Candy" ? , Hate it that I have to "do the dance' EVERY time I use Components Tests, Now I understand WHY they resort to "default mode" after each use, but, lets get real, A prompt to "silence the bells and whistles" should be available to us.And that's for starters....

This tool VP..has alot of potential..I understand I am posting in a scan tool thread, but I do it in hopes of you Guys being able to do what you want on Your "Candy"...and Maybe help with mine. I may be able to help, if its a 2-way street, but I dont "OWN" any other snap scanners...now to get to the Point

It Was a Success ! Both cards Boot up and work as planned.Took 12 minutes to make the Card. I am using the 1 gig to do all my tests now and also for storage. The only draw back IC as of yet as a little slower boot time between prompts, I will get Another smaller card next time I`m out and get that back up to speed. Slot 2 is empty for my Next Project...Original Card is Under my Monitor for storage to be used as a Back-up If i crash and burn.

Hope it gives you the fuel needed to Continue your efforts..Back to the Salt Mines..

ADMIN: Delete if you see fit, don`t want to step on any toes..Done that enough.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Glad it worked for you, I didn't have any cloning software at the time just a windows 7 PC. I still think I made the right choice of keeping the red brick MT 2500with Euro good for all the old OBD1 stuff and OBD2 to 2005 and sell my nicer Solus , DRBII, and Super Star 2 tester, and chance another $600 on the Das. My updates for the year is just about about up on it , so I'm hoping it doesn't become a brick of Chinese C4 next month, LOL

Had I known that Snap On Dealer's that do updating with Scan Bay, also have the means on the trucks to perform a " Device Recovery" on any glitchy snap on scanner and do a fresh install of older software versions right on the truck for free or a reasonable price , I might still have that old Solus if a device recovery took care of the glitchiness and I might have paid to updated it at least Domestic and Asian. The problem is So many folk are driving Farfignuugen Turds now that you can't afford to discriminate between working on Asian and European car any longer. What if I turned cars away or charged extra just to deal with and scan a car with an Obama sticker on the trunk, how do you think that would go over?
              Last edited by Witsend; 08-07-2014, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Dashinoku
                • Aug 2016

So is the software OS on the cards or are they on system memory?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                  Snap-on DSD
                  • Aug 2007

On the Solus and Modis, the CF card is the hard drive.

On the Solus Pro, the card is just used to install the software on the scanner.

Joe
                  "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                  Henry Ford

Comment

• Dashinoku
                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                    On the Solus and Modis, the CF card is the hard drive.

On the Solus Pro, the card is just used to install the software on the scanner.

Joe
                    What about the Ethos line?
                    im asking since my pro came with a 4gb card on it

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                      Snap-on DSD
                      • Aug 2007

Not sure on those. I never messed with them.
                      Joe
                      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                      Henry Ford

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                        • Jan 2015

Ethos software

On the Ethos, at least the original version, the software is installed from a cf card and is then stored on board the unit.
                        Also by being " careful " you can actually delete the Snap On program and turn your Ethos into a doorstop ����

Comment

Working...