Verus Problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooteboy
    • Nov 2015

Hi guys! New to the forum. I had this exact same issue starting in October. One day the verus did not want to start - took it about 3 - 5 tries and it worked great again (I would leave it plugged in at work while shutdown) Shortly after that I took 3 weeks Paternity leave. Upon returning to work - after not using my Verus for 3 weeks, it just died "exact same scenario as all of yours"

I am glad to say that I have figured out how to repair this problem. It was frustrating and I had several failed attempts. I also may or may not have created another problem Upon my third or fourth attempt I pulled a smidge too hard on the LCD cable (which I had already repaired once before) and now that my system is up and running again, my video is a bit out of whack (reds are very goofy currently)

If anyone still has a problem with this issue. Give me a holler.

Thanks,
    Chris

Comment

• cooteboy
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cooteboy
      I also may or may not have created another problem Upon my third or fourth attempt I pulled a smidge too hard on the LCD cable (which I had already repaired once before) and now that my system is up and running again, my video is a bit out of whack (reds are very goofy currently)
      Those connectors are hard to solder lol. I fixed the video issue - which was totally un-related to the "no startup" issue. It was solely because of my sloppy soldering when I re-attached the LCD connector to the main board - I had two pins ever so slightly making just enough contact to cause signal interference.

Now that I have amended that issue - My Verus is like brand new again. I even found that someone had applied 2 screen protectors, so I didn't have to buy a new one - I just peeled the top layer and I now have a new screen as well

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

it was 3am at time you posted , Glad you got Verus working and looking like new before you went to bed

Comment

• Prezauto
          • Dec 2014

Hi guys! New to the forum. I had this exact same issue starting in October. One day the verus did not want to start - took it about 3 - 5 tries and it worked great again (I would leave it plugged in at work while shutdown) Shortly after that I took 3 weeks Paternity leave. Upon returning to work - after not using my Verus for 3 weeks, it just died "exact same scenario as all of yours"

I am glad to say that I have figured out how to repair this problem. It was frustrating and I had several failed attempts. I also may or may not have created another problem Upon my third or fourth attempt I pulled a smidge too hard on the LCD cable (which I had already repaired once before) and now that my system is up and running again, my video is a bit out of whack (reds are very goofy currently)

If anyone still has a problem with this issue. Give me a holler.

Thanks,
          Chris
          Interesting, mine completely broke away from motherboard all pins broke in the bends. Hot air station got it removed but I can't locate a replacement connector. I found a board for a LG tv that had a matching connector, but it was inverse.
          John

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Maybe you could try Digikey.com?

Comment

• cooteboy
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Prezauto
              Interesting, mine completely broke away from motherboard all pins broke in the bends. Hot air station got it removed but I can't locate a replacement connector. I found a board for a LG tv that had a matching connector, but it was inverse.
              My connector broke at the same spot. I used gorilla glue and set the connector back to the main board (I butt it up against the pins that were still sticking up out of the board) Then I soldered the pins at the bend to the original connector (right at the 90)

Comment

• cooteboy
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
                it was 3am at time you posted , Glad you got Verus working and looking like new before you went to bed
                Thanks, me too! It was only 1:00am here

Comment

• chaskuss
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Prezauto
                  John, How about some photos of the issue, the damaged connector, etc?

Comment

• Prezauto
                    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by chaskuss
                    John, How about some photos of the issue, the damaged connector, etc?
                    I had the remains removed a few months back, and subsequently misplaced the remains.
                    John

Comment

• cooteboy
                      • Nov 2015

Hey guys. Here's some pics of my before (sorta - previously repaired once - yet broken again), and after (not pretty, but functional) Again, this is of the video connector on the front face of the main board - it does not keep the verus from booting up/starting (this allows video to the lcd - which can be bypassed when using an external monitor)
                      Attached Files

Comment

• cooteboy
                        • Nov 2015

Before anyone judges my soldering abilities - please realize I did this by hand with a standard sized 25 watt iron, and that the connector itself is somewhere between 1-1.5" long. Also, I do not have a magnifying glass - that makes it REALLY frustrating

Comment

• cooteboy
                          • Nov 2015

Originally the board was adhered at either end of the connector - my first fix I tried to replicate this with super glue (it failed after about the 5th teardown).

The second photo shows where I applied gorilla glue for the second and final repair. The connector is now much more rigid than from the factory.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• chaskuss
                            • Dec 2009

Before anyone judges my soldering abilities - please realize I did this by hand with a standard sized 25 watt iron, and that the connector itself is somewhere between 1-1.5" long. Also, I do not have a magnifying glass - that makes it REALLY frustrating
                            My hat's off to you. Thanks for the photos and the Gorilla Glue tip.

Charlie

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

You can pick up a cheap real handy Port Cargo helping hands magnifying glass with a pair of alligator clips that makes some soldering tasks way easier. I found a sterling silver ring under rear seat of a car at a junk yard and was able to read NF92.5 and Thailand on the inside , so it's less than $5 well spent. Get a couple and you can hold the board off the bench.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
                              Attached Files

Comment

• cooteboy
                                • Nov 2015

chaskuss - Glad to share. Be conservative with the gorilla glue, it expands exponentially. I just used a very thin film.

Witsend - Thank you very much! I will definitely be purchasing a couple of those.

Comment

Working...