Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ratchetman
    • Mar 2011

Verus Pro vs Verus wireless

Thinking of trading in. I have the wireless now and it has a lot of problems. Wireless network adapter is useless. Most times I have trouble establishing a connection to the scan module. It hangs up often.

I'm trying out a Pro now and so far it has had the diag suite hang, failed to turn off, suite fails to launch on start, just to name a few. Not off to a good start so far. At least the Bluetooth connection seems to work all the time and the wireless network card has not caused any problems.

Work is going to switch to server 2012 and xp does not play well with that so there's another complication
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ratchetman
    Thinking of trading in. I have the wireless now and it has a lot of problems. Wireless network adapter is useless. Most times I have trouble establishing a connection to the scan module. It hangs up often.

I'm trying out a Pro now and so far it has had the diag suite hang, failed to turn off, suite fails to launch on start, just to name a few. Not off to a good start so far. At least the Bluetooth connection seems to work all the time and the wireless network card has not caused any problems.

Work is going to switch to server 2012 and xp does not play well with that so there's another complication
    While I wouldn't trade my generation 1 Verus for the Pro, I wouldn't hesitate to trade a gen 2 Verus for it. However, I think I would insist to
    trade for a different unit than the one you are trying out if it is that buggy.
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• brads
      • Feb 2009

i the Verus pro they have a patch for those problems mine did the same thing. after the patch it doesn't hang up on start up. it does have errors shutting down still.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

What version of Diagnostic software does the Wireless unit have???

Comment

• ratchetman
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
          What version of Diagnostic software does the Wireless unit have???

The pro is supposed to be twice as fast on startup. This has not been the case for me 2:10 to start the wireless and the same for the pro.

Now the usb network card in the wireless has packed it in now, what a pile.

Comment

• sbreland73
            • Jan 2009

The pro is supposed to be twice as fast on startup. This has not been the case for me 2:10 to start the wireless and the same for the pro.

Now the usb network card in the wireless has packed it in now, what a pile.
            I'm curious as to why you others are having such a LOOONNNGGG startup with the Pro. Mine = from a cold boot to desktop = 1:13. From desktop to Atlas = 19 sec.
            S. Breland

Comment

• ratchetman
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sbreland73
              I'm curious as to why you others are having such a LOOONNNGGG startup with the Pro. Mine = from a cold boot to desktop = 1:13. From desktop to Atlas = 19 sec.
              I tried it again yesterday and it was 1:50 for the pro. Only :20 faster than the Wireless, a long way from 2x as fast. If the wireless can have atlas loaded in 2:10 the pro should be 1:05 at least

Comment

• sandt38
                • May 2012

I have a wireless Verus and have had few issues. I bought an external wireless card for mine, and have no issues with connection anymore... but the factory card was junk.

I personally would wait out a new tool like this. Give it time to get the bugs ironed out. I never buy the first of a new gadget, as they are error prone.

But if you already have a Verus, why not look at another manufacturer and have a couple of options laying around? Look into a Mastertech VCI, or maybe a Pegasis... while I am not a huge fan of OTC, I have heard good things about the 'Sis.

Comment

• Modis500
                  • Sep 2012

I don't want to step on toes, but the Pegisys is not the way to go. Our corporation bought about 500 of these(Bridgestone/Firestone) and I haven't spoke to one guy out there who likes it. Wireless capability is poor to say the least. You'll have to do the Wireless Wizard fix everytime you connect to a new car to make sure you can unplug module from machine. Also, no preset tests through the scope/DMM. So you spend alot of time setting up parameters and time/triggers, etc... Also, even OTC admitted to having software issues, saying something like the hardware is too far advanced for the current software- this was on the phone through their tech dept.... sounds as if he was trying to blow smoke up my you-know-what. Also, similar to what some guys have said with the Verus Pro, you don't get all the codes out of the vehicle modules all the time. Will try to get codes with Peggy, no luck. Will hook up my Modis or a 10 yr old Genny and they get all the codes and info. Kind of a POS if you ask my opinion..hope the new Genny Touch is better, but its still OTC. And kind of funny how they are trying to sell these things at about 40% less than a year ago to dump them into the public! BTW, anyone had good luck with the Bosch VCI? Was very impressed with their training demo when they came through town.
                  "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
                  Zig Ziglar

Comment

• sandt38
                    • May 2012

You would be the first I have heard say bad things about the Pegasis, but I would not be surprised. I have owned a Genesis, and it was really not a great tool. I also owned an Enhanced 2000, and still have yet to be really "wowed" by an OTC scanner.

I have owned the VCI. It is a nice tool, but not perfect. Like all aftermarkets it has it's strong and weak points. I sold mine to help pay for my Verus. I wish I had kept it. I like my Verus, but I liked the VCI too. I was sold on all the Verus had to offer, and it is a great tool... but it would be nice to have a complimentary tool like the VCI. I recently acquired a Maxidas (all I have to do is some training with the tool and it is mine), and it is a nice tool as a compliment, but after a bit of saving I will buy another VCI. The Maxidas has a really nice Bi-directional set.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                      • Jan 2011

I have an M-VCI myself. It fills some gaps here and there. At the Time It was the Only tool that could actually do what it said it could do when I had a Demo.

Launch failed everything we threw at it and so did Auto Boss V30. The Tool guy that tried to Demo the Launch wouldn't even come buy my shop after it failed miserably. The Auto Boss guy Was a sales men and kept making excuses and tried to push his product. I finally had to shut him down once and for all.

Right now Bosch is in the process of merging there Legacy software with the Euro ESI 2.0 software. It's really a mess. You have to use 1 software for one thing and the other for the Euro's. The ESI 2.0 Is a pain in the *** to register. It can only run on 1 computer unlike the Legacy software. If something happens to your computer it could be a few days before you get a return call. Then you have to be ready to connect to the internet so they can connect remotely and fix your License. Ask me how I know... about 3 days right after I got installed I had an issue on my laptop and it corrupted the software or possibly the license file. The ESI 2.0 license is a 1 shot deal. You can not re-install it. Only Bosch can do it and they need to establish a remote connection to make the changes.

Remember the tool and the subscription's are separate. You will be in the Bosch around $4500. The Maxidas seems like a better Value to me and the guys that are using them on here seem to like them better then most of the other stuff they use to fill the gap.

I haven't had a chance to play with the 12.4 update enough yet, but the wireless connection seems to be better so far.

Comment

• eddiesverus
                        • Dec 2008

Well I Still Have the MC-VCI as well, no I have not updated it yet, I'm more happy now with my Verus-wireless unit. The Bosch is good using the legacy Software but it's ShopforemanPro software interface is still buggy and the graphical features don't work. I've been disappointed with Bosch because they have not fixed these issues for a long time now, with the New EIS Euro package the interface is much better but the support and coverage for domestics is very weak and that's why I've held back on the updates. I use my MC-VCI more as a Flash Re-programer and now with the GM's Tech2Win. I also own the LaunchX431 but to tell the truth I don't use or like it, its hard, complicated, too slow and buggy as well. Import coverage and support is good, so I only use it when I need to run or use the special function test. when the others tools don't have it. As for OTC they are doing just as any other tool company is. I still have my Mac-Mentor scanner and yes its up to date. I use it as a backup and at home everyday no complains. As for the New VerusPro, I would not trade my Verus Wireless for it. To me they are the same and no other beneficial difference, Snap-On is just trying to improve the looks of the original by making it lighter and fancier but that's all. I've Rather kept my Verus up to date. SnapOn has offered better support and vehicle coverage for Domestics and many other imports, but yes I agree its still not as good. Overall I still support and like Snap-On scanners so far they have listened, added what I've asked for and keep improving them. Its all a matter of $$ and how much you want to invest, Snap-ON is been the only one worth it up to now, Just my 2 cents.
                        Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• Modis500
                          • Sep 2012

Good to hear there's another VCI fan out there. Also, noticed you're in NC-whereabouts? I'm in Charlotte, might help you get that other training spot so you can score that Maxidas. About that, what type of Bi-Directional controls does this have that our Snappy scanners don't? I'm always up for fuctional tests and controls. Any info would help, might look into one. Also, anyone you know had luck with the Launch EuroPro? Also an option with all the MB/BMW/Volvo's in my area.
                          "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
                          Zig Ziglar

Comment

• sbreland73
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Modis500
                            About that, what type of Bi-Directional controls does the MaxiDAS have that our Snappy scanners don't? I'm always up for fuctional tests and controls. Any info would help, might look into one. Also an option with all the MB/BMW/Volvo's in my area.
                            Try looking here: http://maxidas.com/coverage/index.aspx

Just click the brand badge to see a PDF of coverage and capabilities.
                            S. Breland

Comment

• sandt38
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by Modis500
                              Good to hear there's another VCI fan out there. Also, noticed you're in NC-whereabouts? I'm in Charlotte, might help you get that other training spot so you can score that Maxidas. About that, what type of Bi-Directional controls does this have that our Snappy scanners don't? I'm always up for fuctional tests and controls. Any info would help, might look into one. Also, anyone you know had luck with the Launch EuroPro? Also an option with all the MB/BMW/Volvo's in my area.
                              I'm in Greensboro. As far as the shops I am visiting, he wants them on his route. I have already sold 2 to friends and haven't visited a shop yet, so I am almost there. But thanks for the offer.

As far as bi-directional, it has quite a bit. I love the fact that I can do Ford PATS and Chrysler SKIM/SKEEM work with it as well. Active body module testing on Fords (similar to KOEO) is quite sweet as well.

Comment

Working...