Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the_twig_187
    • Jan 2018

"EDGE" platform wireless capabilities

With all that Snap-on is and does, why are they not able to make a wireless communication module for lets say all the EDGE (most recent) platforms that are stuck having to be hard wired to the DLC connector at all times (Ethos,Solus,Vantage,Modis). I understand that the capabilities are not built into the scan tools. However, why couldn't you have a small unit plug into the DLC cable plugin on the scan tool and communicate to a wireless communication module that would then plug into the DLC connector on the vehicle. All the wireless unit would do is transfer the signal from the DLC to the scan tool over the air via Bluetooth, wifi ect (what ever they choose).

WHY ISNT THIS AN OPTION TO PURCHASE FOR PEOPLE WHO WOULD LIKE TO WORK AROUND THE VEHICLE WITHOUT HAVING TO BE TIED TO THE DLC? There are significantly cheaper scan tool options out there (we all know what they are) who seem to have much greater modern day conveniences.

All and all...not satisfied with my first snap-on diagnostic purchase (solus edge) as compared to other units that can do exactly the same thing and much much more for the same price $.
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

? We have a Solus Edge. For a quickie code read it's often the first one we grab. It's fairly basic, but quick. My personal scanner is a Verus Edge which has a bulky but wireless Bluetooth DLC plug in. The main shop scanner is a Zeus which has a fairly small DLC which has like twice the Bluetooth range of my Verus.

Solus=lower end, reasonably priced. Wired.
    Verus, mid-range priced. Bulky wireless adapter.
    Zeus, high end expensive. Small wireless adapter.

Just how all that works at the present time.

Not real sure what you're saying. It's like you bought a 3/8" ratchet and are complaining that 1/2" drive sockets won't fit on it. Or so it sounds to me.

Comment

• phill57
      • Oct 2007

Wireless on edge

I agree with you on this point. Since the edge does have wireless capability for Suretrac then it should be capable of using a wireless connection to the vehicle but I'm afraid Snapon would double the price. It should also have a virtual keyboard so you can name file you save more efficiently. The one positive thing I do like about it is it is fast. Both connecting to the vehicle and has a much faster PID refresh rate. Wireless seems to slow that down.

Comment

• the_twig_187
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by GypsyR
        ? We have a Solus Edge. For a quickie code read it's often the first one we grab. It's fairly basic, but quick. My personal scanner is a Verus Edge which has a bulky but wireless Bluetooth DLC plug in. The main shop scanner is a Zeus which has a fairly small DLC which has like twice the Bluetooth range of my Verus.

Solus=lower end, reasonably priced. Wired.
        Verus, mid-range priced. Bulky wireless adapter.
        Zeus, high end expensive. Small wireless adapter.

Just how all that works at the present time.

Not real sure what you're saying. It's like you bought a 3/8" ratchet and are complaining that 1/2" drive sockets won't fit on it. Or so it sounds to me.
        What im saying is... "I bought a 3/8th ratchet and im complaining that snapon doesn't make a 3/8th to 1/2" adapter like everyone else does!" every diagnostic platform in the price range $4000-$5000 has wireless capabilities along with many other features. If snapon didn't want to include the wireless communication module with the tools that would be fine (keep the price as it currently is) what im saying is "WHY" isn't there an option for wireless that could be purchased as a accessory. The technology to do this would be very simple to create, why hasn't snapon created it?

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

"EDGE" platform wireless capabilities
          With all that Snap-on is and does, why are they not able to make a wireless communication module for lets say all the EDGE (most recent) platforms that are stuck having to be hard wired to the DLC connector at all times (Ethos,Solus,Vantage,Modis). I understand that the capabilities are not built into the scan tools. However, why couldn't you have a small unit plug into the DLC cable plugin on the scan tool and communicate to a wireless communication module that would then plug into the DLC connector on the vehicle. All the wireless unit would do is transfer the signal from the DLC to the scan tool over the air via Bluetooth, wifi ect (what ever they choose).

WHY ISNT THIS AN OPTION TO PURCHASE FOR PEOPLE WHO WOULD LIKE TO WORK AROUND THE VEHICLE WITHOUT HAVING TO BE TIED TO THE DLC? There are significantly cheaper scan tool options out there (we all know what they are) who seem to have much greater modern day conveniences.

All and all...not satisfied with my first snap-on diagnostic purchase (solus edge) as compared to other units that can do exactly the same thing and much much more for the same price $.
          I have a Chinese offering that has the fancy blue tooth VCI and figure I can just go in the house and have a cold beer and watch the autoscan play out but it's like F'N Murphy's law , It usually Id's the VIN and car fine but as soon as you sit down it asks you to turn the key off for 10 seconds and then back on , if it has this option or that ?, does it have that RPO Z or GVW over 8500lbs, does it have lazer or Radar Cruise and other kinds of BS the tool just doesn't fill in the blanks for you , and I would have saved more time if I was actually sitting out there in the car attached to F'N cable to see what options the car has. Instead of just answering yes to all the redundant stupid questions like , Do you really want to limit the speed of this Ultimate Driving Machine to only 90 mph? Yes of F'N course I do, I'm p@ssed off now.
          Last edited by Witsend; 01-23-2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• GypsyR
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by the_twig_187
            "WHY" isn't there an option for wireless that could be purchased as a accessory. The technology to do this would be very simple to create, why hasn't snapon created it?
            Uh, well simple answer I guess would be that they want you to spend more money for a scanner that DOES have wireless capability.

Your scanner talks to the internet through wifi. Scanners talk to their DLC fobs through Bluetooth, two very different things.

I don't believe your Solus has the ability to read a wifi DLC fob if one existed. They COULD make a setup like that but I don't see how it would be any different in price from a bluetooth setup. Plus for wifi, you'd need the car and scanner to both be in range of your shop's wifi router because they would need to communicate to each through it versus where bluetooth allows machines to communicate directly.

Comment

• phill57
              • Oct 2007

Wifi versus bluetooth

The Solus Edge can use wifi to connect to shuretrac so it could theoretically connect to a vcm wirelessly if they wanted to. To work with Bluetooth they would have to add the internal bluetooth hardware. Both types of vcm's certainly exist. Ford IDS and GM MDS can both connect via wireless. They do not have to be connected to the shops wireless router at all. They use a small usb wireless dongle to talk to each outher. Point is the technology certainly exists and for the cost of an edge is should be wireless too. Many years ago I purchase OTC Pegasus software for a laptop. It used wireless to connect to the VCM. It was very slow and had very short range, around 25 feet. If you were wirelessly connected to the VCM then you couldn't connect to the shop router to access the Internet. It was horrible.

Comment

• GypsyR
                • Jul 2017

Possibly because point to point wifi is a crappy kludge? That's pretty much exactly why bluetooth exists.

I just don't know. I wanted wireless scanning and so shopped for a scanner that I knew had that feature. It never occurred to me to try and force my old Modis to be wireless. That's just me though.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Possibly because point to point wifi is a crappy kludge? That's pretty much exactly why bluetooth exists.

I just don't know. I wanted wireless scanning and so shopped for a scanner that I knew had that feature. It never occurred to me to try and force my old Modis to be wireless. That's just me though.
                  Think a wireless (WIFI) USB mouse might work , but the Windows XP / CE on an old cabled Verus or Modis, BlueTooth did not even exist yet , or at least a provision in the original OS that would be recognized without first installing some sort of software and drivers in order to do so.
                  "I just use ma ole cabled red Brick der, dat got good ole Green Tooth Technolojee dat I'ze understan and it be safer. I used ta have me a Blue tooth VCI and a car to fix but now the customer car be stollen wit ma VCI that cost more denda caa and my Boss be yellin at me Yo Yo, ya gotz ta call da PoPo" Now da Boss says no wireless scanners or cell phones allowed," Da End
                  Last edited by Witsend; 01-24-2018, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• sbreland73
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by GypsyR
                    Uh, well simple answer I guess would be that they want you to spend more money for a scanner that DOES have wireless capability.

Your scanner talks to the internet through wifi. Scanners talk to their DLC fobs through Bluetooth, two very different things.

I don't believe your Solus has the ability to read a wifi DLC fob if one existed. They COULD make a setup like that but I don't see how it would be any different in price from a bluetooth setup. Plus for wifi, you'd need the car and scanner to both be in range of your shop's wifi router because they would need to communicate to each through it versus where bluetooth allows machines to communicate directly.

This could be done with Wi-Fi in Ad-Hoc mode, where Scanner and VCM communicate directly, however you would loose the Suretrack as you can only connect to one "network" at a time. The first OTC wireless tool did it this way, albeit very inefficient.
                    S. Breland

Comment

Working...