How about Awards for Ease of Maintainance

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

You just have to remember, one persons PITA is another persons opportunity.

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
      Jay

What is going on? Within this tread I make a post stating some of the modern systems on vehicles, to show how things are getting more complex, and in my opinion if a tech wants to stay a tech and not a "lube" tech you had to try and keep up with the learning and tooling and no matter much complaining is done it will not change. I never stated if I thought they were good or bad, yet you went off topic and started slamming all these systems. Then I make another post to try and show another member that he was incorrect about why TPM systems are in todays vehicles and you go off topic again slamming peoples driving, calling them Morons and Lemmings. stating the issue wasn't the tires but the vehicle.
      Did Wit travel up north with some of his Kool-Aid?!?!?!?! Your not going to start talking about Black Stealth Helicopters in cloaking mode circling over head and come out of your off the grind cabin wearing a foil hat are you?!?!?!?! We already have Wit for all of that!

WHAT-?? I'm "going off topic"-???
      The thread states quite clearly........

USELESS fluff in NO WAY contributes to ease of maintenance Steve.
      Then when one useless fluff module craps out, the vehicle doesn't start, the person is stranded, out on 2 lane blacktop at 3:00-AM and it's not the same as people in urban areas where a dealership is only 5 or 10 minutes away, or you can hail a cab.
      Out here, and many areas of the country, even a cell phone won't get a signal so you can call AAA/CAA for a tow-!!!!!!!!

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Ford ignition modules have been stranding motorist for well over 30 years now. Nothings changed

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Ford ignition modules have been stranding motorist for well over 30 years now. Nothings changed

Not really. Even Dealer techs are afraid the car companies are going to screw them somehow with bounced warranty claims if they don't do everything according to their books. I say F@ck the OEs if you can use a Chinaman tool instead of a Jbox and subs to accomplish your end.

Comment

• Steve6911
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
            WHAT-?? I'm "going off topic"-???
            The thread states quite clearly........

USELESS fluff in NO WAY contributes to ease of maintenance Steve.
            Then when one useless fluff module craps out, the vehicle doesn't start, the person is stranded, out on 2 lane blacktop at 3:00-AM and it's not the same as people in urban areas where a dealership is only 5 or 10 minutes away, or you can hail a cab.
            Out here, and many areas of the country, even a cell phone won't get a signal so you can call AAA/CAA for a tow-!!!!!!!!
            See Bob’s reply, I look at this as a great opportunity, many shops don’t want to get involved in “useless” systems but mine does and the shop does better then most.
            Also I see you didn’t deny Wit coming up there and sharing his Kool-aid with you.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Hey Guess sooner or later , the Last of the Mohicans who have learned how to adapt to all the Technocracy and ante'ed up for all the High tech equipment , who didn't just say F@ck This Sh@t and quit there job like disgruntled auto mechanics who eventually chose to just drive a truck for a living won't sooner or later be put out of work driving a truck when all the High techies are fixing autonomous driving machines and make all the former mechanics turned unemployed truckers to have to return to the automotive field to start over again as $8 dolla an hour flat rate lube techs employed under Bob and Steve.
              Last edited by Witsend; 01-20-2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
                There were TWO Fords in our stable at the same time.
                First and last.
                Just because we can fix 'em doesn't mean we have to buy one.

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

See Bob’s reply, I look at this as a great opportunity, many shops don’t want to get involved in “useless” systems but mine does and the shop does better then most.
                  Also I see you didn’t deny Wit coming up there and sharing his Kool-aid with you.
                  You're also in an urban environment.
                  Much different demographic.
                  When I moved out (even farther than we were) from the same demographic, the urban, dealer, larger populace, told us we wouldn't be able to fix vehicles anymore. We were all going to be left behind.
                  THAT was TWENTY YEARS ago. To this day we keep having to dive in, figure things out, and actually fix things that people had already taken in to the dealers in the urban environment.
                  Heard the same B/S with electronic ignition in the 70's. Heard the same thing with computerized controls and fuel injection in the 80's. Again with system integration in the 90's. And yet again in the 2000's. Now the 20-teens and we're still going to be left out in the cold-??
                  We keep fixin 'em, but this thread is about EASE OF MAINTENANCE.
                  We've PROVEN we can keep up for over 40 YEARS. In fact we've proven an even better success rate than the urban repair industry. We keep 'em running longer, when city people toss out the old, and buy a new one in 3 to 6 years.... just like the vehicle manufacturers want people to do.
                  If that's wearing a foil hat, I'm going to the store to buy some more boxes of Alcan-!! The 25 inch long rolls make for a great nor-wester hat, keeps the $h@t off better.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

You're also in an urban environment.
                    Much different demographic.

Crusty, From reading Bob's posts , it sounds to me he lives in a rural area of Wisconsin with Steers and Lil Cheese Heads that corn hole truck mufflers to make pop corn.

This forum is intended for general discussions that would relate specifically to our SureTrack users. Others may join in but please stay on topic.

The twenty teens for Old Timers I think was the 70's and 80's.
                    Last edited by Witsend; 01-22-2018, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• GypsyR
                      • Jul 2017

Jay

What is going on? Within this tread I make a post stating some of the modern systems on vehicles, to show how things are getting more complex, and in my opinion if a tech wants to stay a tech and not a "lube" tech you had to try and keep up with the learning and tooling and no matter much complaining is done it will not change. I never stated if I thought they were good or bad, yet you went off topic and started slamming all these systems. Then I make another post to try and show another member that he was incorrect about why TPM systems are in todays vehicles and you go off topic again slamming peoples driving, calling them Morons and Lemmings. stating the issue wasn't the tires but the vehicle.
                      Did Wit travel up north with some of his Kool-Aid?!?!?!?! Your not going to start talking about Black Stealth Helicopters in cloaking mode circling over head and come out of your off the grind cabin wearing a foil hat are you?!?!?!?! We already have Wit for all of that!
                      So you think internet discussion threads aren't supposed to wander all kinds of off topic? Don't get out much, do you?

And that "correction". Yeah. You think TPMS is not and was not a carefully planned ingredient in stability control systems and came about solely because of the Firestone tie fiasco. Yeah right. Vehicle stability control has been on the engineer's design table since at least the Packard days. They figured out long ago that you couldn't do much without having consistent tire pressures. That realization predates Explorers falling over by about forty years. When TPMS became practical and affordable, we got it. Perhaps SUV rollovers hurting sales pushed up the schedule.
                      Last edited by GypsyR; 01-22-2018, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

When TPMS became practical and affordable, we got it.
                        Yes, TPMS, Its been out for over a decade, it's here to stay. you can get a decent tool for under $200 (chinaman )to supplement your scantool, and it even tests your keyless entry and garage remote buttons and can write Ids to blank sensors of the Chinaman sensor brand , but I just tell folk which sensor is no good and best order all 4 quality brand name sensors with IDs from Rock Auto ,so you can have Costco install all 4 when they put on the tires, and I'll register them all to your car for $30 if they don't do it for you for free. Not sure if any shops really made a killing on TPMS sensors like the tool manufacturers presented things as a big money maker in the past. Most folk I know don't want to go to the expense, and it makes more sense to hand the 4 new brand name sensors already with IDs to the tire shop to change them out with the tires and not pay redundant labor fees and risk damage or bead leaks from Bozos and have to replace a tire prematurely besides
                        Last edited by Witsend; 01-24-2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• Wheel
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
                          True, but some things to consider;
                          1. those modules needed no reprogramming
                          2.readily accessible at just about any parts store, maybe even at discount or hardware stores - though I agree not at 3 am.
                          3.these were generally easy to access - a quick roadside fix if one had the foresight to carry a spare one and minimal tooling. ( I do.)
                          4,modest price compared to even a used computer

ease of maintenance as it should be..
                          You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

True, but some things to consider;
                            1. those modules needed no reprogramming
                            2.readily accessible at just about any parts store, maybe even at discount or hardware stores - though I agree not at 3 am.
                            3.these were generally easy to access - a quick roadside fix if one had the foresight to carry a spare one and minimal tooling. ( I do.)
                            4,modest price compared to even a used computer

ease of maintenance as it should be..
                            I remember the little beige pickup Stators inside those distributors were prone to failure along with the Ford TFI modules. I even remember the under sides of ignition modules on the earlier ones looked kinda like barf enclosed resin after pulling an All nighter back in the Eighties

Comment

• GypsyR
                              • Jul 2017

Nostalgia. I recall how when I sold my Bronco I explained to the new owner about the new TFI module and little tool in the bottom of the console that came with it.

Comment

Working...