X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knightsam
    • Apr 2018

Jeep Wrangler replacement PCM VIN change

Hi all,
    Forgive me for starting a new thread here. I’ve done some research and read conflicting things on threads in this board (perhaps because the functionality of Snap On tools has changed over the years?) and was hoping to get some advice from someone here!

I’m close to tears trying to get this car back on the road (details below). Any tips would be extremely welcome.

Car:
    Jeep Wrangler 4.0, Manual, 2001.
    Manufactured in USA and exported to Australia.

Issue:
    • Original PCM was damaged (by myself) when trying to open it up to see if it had any obvious circuit board faults.
    • Replacement PCM was bought from breakers yard. Exact same model number.
    • Car will start and then die after 2 seconds due to a SKIM issue (engine code: p1685 SKIM invalid)
    • I am lead to believe that I must change the VIN on the replacement PCM to my car’s original VIN. 1st question: is this true? Would this fix my issue?
    • I am also lead to believe that a Snap On Solus Pro will have the functionality (VIN read/write) that I require. 2nd question: is this true?
    • I have found someone selling a Snap On Solus Pro in my city (Sydney, Australia). The seller tells me it is compatible with Australian and American cars. I am considering buying it, fixing the SKIM issue, and keeping it in my garage to use as a diagnostic tool. 3rd question: is this recommended?

Thanks in advance,

Sam
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

I have not seen a VIN erase and rewrite function for Chrysler products in any Snap On scan tools. I use the SKIM and VIN rewrite functions that are part of the Pass Thru Pro III J2534 computer software tool box. And even then it's not always 100% successful.

Comment

• tech25
      • Oct 2017

Hello and welcome,

I looked at my solus ultra with 18.2 update and have attached screen shots of what can be done, it appears you can you only read the vin in the engine,

and there is a skim module you can also access but the only function in there is to "reset" it, not sure what that does.

not a lot of help but hopefully if answers what the snap on can do, at least here in the USA.
      Attached Files

Comment

• BRIAN617
        • Dec 2016

You can write a VIN to a NEW/Reman blank ECM with SnapOn scanner, If a VIN is already stored in the ECM/PCM you can only read it not erase. Also, rewriting the VIN will not cure the anti theft issue. If you want to use a used ECM/PCM you'll have to find one without security enabled. I've had luck with having an ECM/PCM rebuilder both erasing VIN and disabling anti theft on a used unit.

Comment

• longhungsilver
          • Oct 2013

Is the vehicle key grey? That is a skim key. I’m asking because if your vehicle uses a black key you are in a world of trouble. Plugging in a used pcm that has skim (if your vehicle doesn’t) can turn the body module into a skim enabled vehicle and you can’t erase that. So you will need a skim module and a compatible scanner to program and learn the skim code.

Comment

• knightsam
            • Apr 2018

Originally posted by greasybob
            I have not seen a VIN erase and rewrite function for Chrysler products in any Snap On scan tools. I use the SKIM and VIN rewrite functions that are part of the Pass Thru Pro III J2534 computer software tool box. And even then it's not always 100% successful.
            Thanks very much for the info! Sounds like I would need to find someone in my city with a Pass Thru Pro III.

Originally posted by tech25
            Hello and welcome,

I looked at my solus ultra with 18.2 update and have attached screen shots of what can be done, it appears you can you only read the vin in the engine,

and there is a skim module you can also access but the only function in there is to "reset" it, not sure what that does.

not a lot of help but hopefully if answers what the snap on can do, at least here in the USA.
            Thanks very much for taking the time to upload the screen shots mate. I'd be interested to try the "SKIM reset" function. Would anyone here take a guess at if resetting the SKIM on the PCM might help me? I'm wondering if this would allow me to plug the SKIM module back in and it would pair up to the new ECM?

Originally posted by BRIAN617
            You can write a VIN to a NEW/Reman blank ECM with SnapOn scanner, If a VIN is already stored in the ECM/PCM you can only read it not erase. Also, rewriting the VIN will not cure the anti theft issue. If you want to use a used ECM/PCM you'll have to find one without security enabled. I've had luck with having an ECM/PCM rebuilder both erasing VIN and disabling anti theft on a used unit.
            Thanks for your help mate. If I get to a real roadblock with this replacement PCM then I may have to get on the hunt for a compatible PCM without security.

Originally posted by longhungsilver
            Is the vehicle key grey? That is a skim key. I’m asking because if your vehicle uses a black key you are in a world of trouble. Plugging in a used pcm that has skim (if your vehicle doesn’t) can turn the body module into a skim enabled vehicle and you can’t erase that. So you will need a skim module and a compatible scanner to program and learn the skim code.
            My car has grey keys. So I think I might be alright here! Thanks!

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Any chance the Wrangler you got the ECM from , still has the steering column with keys, you can get the key cylinder, keys , SKIM module (Key Transponder ring module assembly from ?
              Last edited by Witsend; 04-26-2018, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• knightsam
                • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Witsend
                Any chance the Wrangler you got the ECM from , still has the steering column with keys, you can get the key cylinder, keys , SKIM module (Key Transponder ring module assembly?
                Hey, I did try this and unfortunately they no longer have these parts from the same car!

I'm starting to wonder if I should try the "SKIM reset" function on the SnapOn Solus Pro as shown by tech25...

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                  • Apr 2011

You can do it with an Autel, Launch or a Pass thru Device. Any of those will work. If the computer is used, just write ur VIN into the used PCM, Turn car off then on. Start car. Simple as that. It's so simple anyone can do it. Specially since it's an older model. Good luck!

Comment

• tech25
                    • Oct 2017

hey, i attached a flow chart for this code.

it states possible cause number 1 is the vin is not written to the pcm.

i do not think the snap on can write the vin for this car. however other scan tools, or passthru may.

make sure to read the attachment.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

I'm thinking in the process of doing the programmable module installation at the point where the replacement ECM is to be installed and VIN writing is performed the SKIM module might need to be unplugged until after the correct VIN # is written and takes.

Comment

• knightsam
                        • Apr 2018

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
                        You can do it with an Autel, Launch or a Pass thru Device. Any of those will work. If the computer is used, just write ur VIN into the used PCM, Turn car off then on. Start car. Simple as that. It's so simple anyone can do it. Specially since it's an older model. Good luck!
                        Thanks mate, you sound very confident! At the risk of sounding like a pennypincher, would any tool manufactured by Autel, Launch or Pass Thru Device have VIN write function? If not, what should I look out for in the features section? I see Autel manufacture some very cheap tools that I assume would not have this function?

Originally posted by tech25
                        hey, i attached a flow chart for this code.

it states possible cause number 1 is the vin is not written to the pcm.

i do not think the snap on can write the vin for this car. however other scan tools, or passthru may.

make sure to read the attachment.
                        Thank you again, I can see that perhaps I won't be able to get this issue fixed with a Snap on Solus Pro. Appreciate your help!

Originally posted by Witsend
                        I'm thinking in the process of doing the programmable module installation at the point where the replacement ECM is to be installed and VIN writing is performed the SKIM module might need to be unplugged until after the correct VIN # is written and takes.
                        I have also read this, and will be sure to unplug the SKIM module when i am programming in the new VIN. Thanks!

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                          • Apr 2011

I personally have a Launch PAD II which does VIN reading but lets you write it as well. Autel, only the expensive ones I know have the options. Not sure about the cheaper version ones. Launch PAD and Launch PAD II can def do VIN writing.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                            • Apr 2011

Also, no need to unplug SKIM module, you will not be touching or replacing the SKIM module. No need to unplug it or anything. This is only if ur replacing the PCM with a used or rebuilt one. No need to flash it either.

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

I have the Autel but it's function viewer only shows capabilities of Jeep Wrangler model years 2007 up to 2017, (Export)2008 and up, so guess it's too Hit or Miss to commit to functionality for any models than that earlier. It's still worth a try because I think because of past lawsuits with licensing issues sometimes you try a procedure it lists and it will give you a message that procedure failed , but it did work and just appears that they disabled a disputed functionality and complied with disabling it
                              Last edited by Witsend; 04-26-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...