Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GAGTP
    • Sep 2008

Help w/ CKP Variation Learn

Is it just me or is it near impossible to do one of these? I've tried multiple times, spoken with technical assistance and just can't seem to get it down. I've noticed after everything is ready while at the CKP Learn screen I've got RPM and *Celcius. At the bottom I see almost a flickering "waiting for full throttle" message. However when I hit the throttle sometimes the RPM jumps past the REV limiter. When this happens the message stops flickering, so I back out of the screen and restart the process. So must I do this when the RPM's have surpassed the REV limiter? Also the rep at Technical Assistance told me that you sometimes have to let it bounce one time of the REV limiter for the Learn to take. So what am I doing wrong? I've tried everything including letting it bounce of the REV limiter with a quick, sharp WOT burst. Once it flickered something at me at the bottom like "Test.....", I have no idea. So any tips or tricks to completing one of these procedures? Also, once the Learn is performed correctly what should I see? Any replies would be much appreciated. FYI the vehicle is my personal one, a 1998 Grand Prix GTP. (VIN 1)
  • bwrench
    • Aug 2008

I have never used a snap on scanner to do a CKP relearn on a GM, I have always used my Tech2. I just select the CKP relearn, slowly bring the engine up to the rev limiter, then idle it back down and it's all done.

Comment

• GAGTP
      • Sep 2008

Thanks for the reply. It seems like I heard of someone having a problem as well since they were used to the Tech 2. I do not know however what they did to get the Snap-on to function.

Comment

• Nick
        • Oct 2006

When customers of mine have trouble with the procedure they usually miss one of two steps. They do not have their foot on the brake. Or engine has not reached proper temp.

Other than those reasons I have never had an issue with a relearn using a SO product.
        Mechanic-Instructor-Mobile Trouble Shooter

Autotechdiagnostics.com

Comment

• SL_REPAIR
          • Mar 2008

Make sure you have your foot on the brake at all times.

Originally posted by Nick
          When customers of mine have trouble with the procedure they usually miss one of two steps. They do not have their foot on the brake. Or engine has not reached proper temp.

Other than those reasons I have never had an issue with a relearn using a SO product.
          I agree with nick, missed that myself, but you may want to see if you have a brake switch problem, if you are doing it correctly.

Comment

• GAGTP
            • Sep 2008

Foot firmly on pedal. Brake Switch is good. This should be a quick, sharp, pedal down action, right? Not like a graduall increase in rpm as with the Tech 2 ? The replies are much appreciated guys. I spoke again w/ Technical Assistance and they said I'm doing everything right and could'nt really add anything. Spoke w/ my rep as well and asked him to ask some of his other customers (particularly GM) if they could offer anything further. The only thing that stand's out is that the week after my rep sold me the Solus he went out of town, so I have yet to have it registered. Could this be my obsticle?
            Last edited by GAGTP; 09-05-2008, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• sdlindsey
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by GAGTP
              Is it just me or is it near impossible to do one of these? I've tried multiple times, spoken with technical assistance and just can't seem to get it down. I've noticed after everything is ready while at the CKP Learn screen I've got RPM and *Celcius. At the bottom I see almost a flickering "waiting for full throttle" message. However when I hit the throttle sometimes the RPM jumps past the REV limiter. When this happens the message stops flickering, so I back out of the screen and restart the process. So must I do this when the RPM's have surpassed the REV limiter? Also the rep at Technical Assistance told me that you sometimes have to let it bounce one time of the REV limiter for the Learn to take. So what am I doing wrong? I've tried everything including letting it bounce of the REV limiter with a quick, sharp WOT burst. Once it flickered something at me at the bottom like "Test.....", I have no idea. So any tips or tricks to completing one of these procedures? Also, once the Learn is performed correctly what should I see? Any replies would be much appreciated. FYI the vehicle is my personal one, a 1998 Grand Prix GTP. (VIN 1)
              I can't comment on that specific vehicle, but I have performed the GM CKP Variation Learn many times using the Snap On products.

I do recall there being a temperature minimum, and the learn may be blocked by other codes. If I recall correctly you just try to bring the RPM up to the rev limiter, it'll bounce, and it's done. I've had to bring it up a few times, on occasion, to get it to occur -- but when it occurs it was pretty obvious.

There may also be a PID to reflect if it's learned, which you can check before and after the test. The misfire monitor readiness might be an indication, but I'm pretty sure it says "ready" regardless.

One last thing: Did you go into the Troubleshooter and look under the functional test descriptions? (Tests & Procedures) That might be of some use. Let us know what you find out.

Comment

• sdlindsey
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by GAGTP
                Foot firmly on pedal. Brake Switch is good. This should be a quick, sharp, pedal down action, right? Not like a graduall increase in rpm as with the Tech 2 ?
                In my experience I've always used a sharp rise in RPM. It was always obvious to me when it occured.

The only thing that stand's out is that the week after my rep sold me the Solus he went out of town, so I have yet to have it registered. Could this be my obsticle?
                I _seriously_ doubt it.

Comment

• GAGTP
                  • Sep 2008

Thanks alot. The min temp. for the procedure to be performed is 80-degrees celcius. The third Tech Assistance Rep I talked to said the same thing about going to the troubleshooter. Like you as well he also stated that the troubleshooter will state that sometimes it does take multiple tries of hitting the rev-limiter for the learn to occur. I will try it again. Thanks.

Comment

• GAGTP
                    • Sep 2008

No Go. I used the Troubleshooter and tried, tried, and tried again. Only once did I think I see something flash really faint and quick that I believed had the word "test" in there in which afterwards I saw no message about waiting for Full Throttle. Ironically though the message will dissapear ( "Waiting for full Throttle") if I exceed 5,000 RPM. Each time I tried I would attempt it at least 10 times. It's weird though, Sometimes I would be attempting and could throttle up to 4,800 a few times and then it would start hitting the Fuel Cut-off on the next throttle up's. I sure hope I'm not going to have to find someone with a Tech 2 to perform this for me as I would like to know what's going on. I sure hope that Technical Assistance rep was right about getting a confirmation on another screen. I would love to know if there is a PID in Data somewhere to indicate wether the CKP is in proper relation or CKP has been re-learned.

Comment

• Matt_Ragsdale
                      • Jul 2008

Is the vehicle registering misfires when you are doing the test?

Comment

• GAGTP
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Matt_Ragsdale
                        Is the vehicle registering misfires when you are doing the test?
                        No misfires as well as no DTC's. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...