Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joenash
    • Jan 2009

Reimage?????????

I had updated my verus friday to 9.2 it had 8.4 it also had sr2 update, the scanner seemed okay, unfortunatly I had no cars to use it on, sat I had to use it so I turned it on to use and it said it had to update the firmware so I said okay, then it was really buggy it did not find any codes on a hyundia, then I backed out and went in generic obd and it found the codes. it had other isues customer worksheet you could not read codes and other issues to much to list right now, just trying to lay down ground work here.
    anyway I called snap on and told them the issues, so they decides to have me do a reimage, well that was a fine and dandy, if you dont know as I did not this returns the machine to stock like you just bought it, so my point is if you have any info saved, screenshots you know data so you can show customers, pics you took with your digital camer of broken parts so you can show customers, Part numbers you know so those guys at the dealership or parts house can send youthe right part, any codes you have saved to any type of word or text file so you can throw out those little pices of paper you have cluttering your tool box, You need to back them up to a usb flash drive or e-mail them to yourself or get them off your scanner slash tablet pc, some how cause when you do a reimage you loose everything, at least that is my experiance, tommorow I meet up with my snap on dealer to hopefully get it back to 9.2, am I a little pissed yes but it is only my fault I forgot the basic rule of computers, back up back up back up.
    Anyway I will let everyone know how the total restoration goes, but dont forget back up.
    PS I think snap on should give the customer a usb flash drive with the latest software version that they have on their diagnostic tool so they can reload the program on it themself, I could have done this at home if I had this, instead of wasting almost 2 & 1/2 hours with snap diag on the phone and having my boss hovering over me all day wondering if I was going to work today, and now I have to be inconvencied more and meet my snap on dealer to get the tool up to the latest version.
    JOENASH
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Back-up, Back-up, Back-up. YUP. Save ALL the data YOU'VE gathered in more than one place-!!! LOL I've learned that one over and over and glad I'm downright anal about backups.
    A portable hard drive with 500-gig or 1-Terra is less than 200 smackers. You can get the "intelectual property" of SO restored thru your dealer but NOBODY is going to save your data except you.
    I agree with what you've said about the software restore. You've bought the machine, S/O should make it EASY for us to backup/restore the programming we've already paid for as part of the machine. LOTS of us start early, work late and even plug into vehicles on Sundays when no help is available. We can't expect our dealers to be available 24/7.

Computer software companies that put a security failure in their software only get my money ONCE, sorry, twice, first and last.
    If their software is REALLY valuable, people will beat down their doors for the new and improved versions (but only if they are improved-!!LOL)

Comment

• DougMontgomery
      • Jul 2007

Sorry for your loss.

Crusty,

You might remember I posted A LONG time ago before the Verus was officially released. "I hope Snap-On thinks about imaging & restoring".

Guess they did not.

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

I didn't pop for a VIRUS, oops, Verus.. LOL, sorry. The play on words was on IATN.

Comment

• Chevytruckman1234
          • Mar 2008

I too had this problem with all the software that took along time to load onto it. I have found that if you save most of your data ie: doc. screenshots etc onto d drive it works and you dont need an external hard drive. I just wish SO would allow us to back up our data on the vehicles that we work on. I have been on the phone about this but no straight answer.

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

1st rule of computers

Originally posted by Chevytruckman1234
            I too had this problem with all the software that took along time to load onto it. I have found that if you save most of your data ie: doc. screenshots etc onto d drive it works and you dont need an external hard drive. I just wish SO would allow us to back up our data on the vehicles that we work on. I have been on the phone about this but no straight answer.
            Look Out-!! The other foot WILL FALL-!!!!
            It isn't IF a man-made piece will fail, it's When it will fail.
            As JoeNash points out, backup, backup, backup
            Copying your data onto the same piece of hardware will bite ya when it does fail, glitch, need reloading, reformatting, etc etc etc.
            Hard drives are designed to be re-written to and electronic hard drives (such as those in the new "netbooks") are subject to voltage changes.
            Plastic is cheap. If you save you data periodically to a CD or data DVD, it's imbedded in the plastic. As long as you don't fold-spindle-or-mutilate 'em the bits & bytes will be there for years.
            ANY device, OTHER THAN THE ORIGINAL ONE, is where you should save YOUR DATA to (just to be safe).
            We've bought the machines in a functional state (which includes the software that we've paid for) and being able to save and restore the programming that makes it work is just good sense. Let's face it, there MIGHT be 500 smackers of hardware in the hand held touch screen laptop (Verus) so 8-g's means 7500 was for software and programming-!!
            Just as the public have a "right to repair" where they choose, we should be able to have our purchased hardware serviced where we choose (such as upgrading or replacing the CPU, or RAM, etc) once it's out of warranty (same as cars) and then restore the original functionality that was on the equipment when it went in for servicing (aftermarket PCMS are programable, arn't they?? and lots of guys reflash, not just the dealers)
            It doesn't give anyone a warm fuzzy feeling doing business when a gun is held to your head, which is what happens when there is TOO MUCH software protection. SOME software protection is SO's right, but what about yours and mine??
            I'm glad JoeNash brought up the subject of backing up. It's good for everyone to remember.

Comment

• sdlindsey
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by DougMontgomery
              Sorry for your loss.

Crusty,

You might remember I posted A LONG time ago before the Verus was officially released. "I hope Snap-On thinks about imaging & restoring".

Guess they did not.
              I'm not sure I follow these complaints.

I take care of my own data, backing it up where necessary, and ensuring its safety. If I ever hand _any_ piece of electronic equipment to anyone else, especially with the idea that it will be repaired, I always back my own data up.

If you send your laptop in for repair it is no gaurantee that you'll get it back with your original data on it. If you use your "Dell Restore Disc" to restore your Dell PC, you lose all your data. Why would Snap On be any different?

On that note, if you have critical data on a single hard drive you are playing roulette anyhow -- Verus or otherwise. With the availability of cheap mass storage in almost any configuration there really is nothing barring one from protecting their data. In most cases you don't even need mass storage -- a USB thumbstick or a CF card can cover an amazing amount of data these days. There are even sensible off-site automatic backup options for those that don't like to handle the physical drive itself.

Comment

• joenash
                • Jan 2009

I just wanted to make aware

Originally posted by sdlindsey
                I'm not sure I follow these complaints.

I take care of my own data, backing it up where necessary, and ensuring its safety. If I ever hand _any_ piece of electronic equipment to anyone else, especially with the idea that it will be repaired, I always back my own data up.

If you send your laptop in for repair it is no gaurantee that you'll get it back with your original data on it. If you use your "Dell Restore Disc" to restore your Dell PC, you lose all your data. Why would Snap On be any different?

On that note, if you have critical data on a single hard drive you are playing roulette anyhow -- Verus or otherwise. With the availability of cheap mass storage in almost any configuration there really is nothing barring one from protecting their data. In most cases you don't even need mass storage -- a USB thumbstick or a CF card can cover an amazing amount of data these days. There are even sensible off-site automatic backup options for those that don't like to handle the physical drive itself.
                I realize you may not understand cause you may be more computer savey than some of us, AND I DO UNDERSTAND the importance of backing up, BUT this is the BIG BUT I posted as another poster had noted it is not if it is when it will fail, it is just that the POINT IS if some one from SO support tells you to do a reimage or to transfer your files on the C drive to the D drive ( it is really one drive JUST PARTITIONED ) you will lose ALL YOUR DATA!!! And you tell them you have to back up your data and you will call them right back. YES it will restore your machine BACK to when you first bought it! you will LOOSE the SR2 update and you will lose your 9.2 update as I have, I am waiting to hear from my SO dealer to find out about restoring 9.2, cause he don't want SO to charge him for another update. but I had to reload sr2 and all saved webpages and shop info and data, I just wanted to make other VERUS users AWARE because this is a Fourm and that is what you do!
                JOENASH

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Well said Joe
                  To Chevytruckman
                  Back up YOUR data on a separate device, not just on the same hardware in another partition-!!!
                  To Doug Montgomery
                  They DID think about it and prefer to FORCE their customers into a corner-!!
                  To sdlindsey
                  Joe SHOULD have been warned by the software support EXPERTS at SO to BACKUP all his data, after all they are SUPPOSED to be the software support experts-!! and that's their job-!! THEY should also have made provisions for restoring the 9.2 that was already on the machine.
                  Joe has openly admitted that he forgot the 1st rule of computers (don't kick yourself in the pants too hard Joe) and has reminded everyone about backups.
                  I think the big part of his complaint is that he now has lost the SR2 update AND HE HAS LOST HIS 9.2-UPDATE AS WELL !!!! AND HIS DEALER NEEDS TO RESTORE IT WHICH IS NOW TAKING MORE TIME--!!
                  It SHOULDN'T cost either Joe or his dealer anything to RESTORE WHAT JOE HAS ALREADY PAID FOR, and now Joe is HELD UP WAITING for his dealer to make sure HE isn't going to be charged for restoring the 9.2.
                  This is an oversimplification but the principle is the same: "Here is your new 4 slice toaster Mr Jones, you can toast 2 slices now and we'll let you toast 4 slices when we get around to it"
                  THAT'S where there is TOO MUCH software protection and SO are more concerned about their "rights" instead of their customers' "rights" or ease of use.
                  You are right when you say:
                  "On that note, if you have critical data on a single hard drive you are playing roulette anyhow -- Verus or otherwise. With the availability of cheap mass storage in almost any configuration there really is nothing barring one from protecting their data. In most cases you don't even need mass storage -- a USB thumbstick or a CF card can cover an amazing amount of data these days. There are even sensible off-site automatic backup options for those that don't like to handle the physical drive itself."
                  and that was my point about external hard drives or CD's and DVD's, etc.

Comment

• joenash
                    • Jan 2009

Good point!!!!the reason we buy snap on diagnostics tools are SPEED Of USE, EASE OF USE, The TROUBLE SHOOTER, Heck I am sure most of us can use a code checker and a volt meter and alldata, I rember when we used to count the flashes, wright them down on a pice of paper and actually diagnose the car, now we hook up the scanner pull a code check the trouble shooter, read some data and make an evaulation, And because most customers and or most shops for fear of loosing the job, do not or will not pay or charge a diag fee, BUT they want the tecs to spend thousand of dollars on equipment, Alas I go off on another tangent,
                    MY POINT was to let anyone who has a verus know they can, may or will lose their data if or when they a reimage.
                    Yes I have used a computer before and I have saved data before, and yes I have removed and reloades programs on my pc without loosine everything. I think snap on could have done it differently. (restoring) sometimes you cannot wait. for your dealer, Havent we all broken a socket, but you can ask another tech in the shop to borrow his, But if your scan tool is the only one what then?
                    I just think snap on needs to help their customers out when they have problems with this tool because of the differance in this tool than any other out their, if snap on wants to be #1 they need to make the best tools, I am sure some of the older guys like me agree that the tool industry has gotten out of hand with the pricing and other issues, Sorry I am off again.
                    Like I said THIS is a FOURM and I just wanted to let other users know my experance with my verus. Thanks for reading
                    JOENASH

Comment

• Chevytruckman1234
                      • Mar 2008

Is it so hard to open up a FTP site and just pay a subscription fee so you can download your new update that you purchased off of the SO dealer off the web as many times as you want?

Comment

• joenash
                        • Jan 2009

That is why I think when you get an update from Snap On they should give it to you on a USB flash drive, that is how they do it now, but one you keep, 1 the snap on dealer could activate it with the serial number of the machine so they would not have to worry about software theft, it would not work on anbodys machine, 2 their is no drives so a usb thumb drive makes perfect sence, 3 if they gave you the basic program verus diagnostic suite you could delete it and reinstall it if their was a corrupt file, cause we all know how stable windoze is, after all when you buy a pc you get a copy of windows, and usually a few cd with the other programs on it.
                        I mean at least you could take it home or do it @ work reload everything on the verus and get it back working and you would not have to wait for snap on diag support, you know sometimes you call support you are on hold they don't call back, your dealer wont be by the shop for another week, his kid got sick he won't be by for another week, his cell dropped the call & he did not get your voice mail, I could go on & on, come on snap on most of us using verus by this point in our career have been doing this for a long time I think if we could rebuild an engine be ase certified so on & so forth we can reload a program on a pc. I just think they want to have total control, be it for the software issue or whatever, but the way they do it now they have total control. Oh buy the way your SR2 update was downloaded from Snap On from their website so I think they could do it that way (FTP) if they wanted, But this way they can charge their dealer everytime he does an update, and the dealer can make a sale on an update, I would be mad if I was a dealer and was going to sell a diagnostic unit and then not make any more money after the sale.
                        JOENASH

Comment

• greg13104
                          • May 2009

Backup

Which files/folders shoul be backed up?

Thanks

Comment

• Crusty
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greg13104
                            Which files/folders shoul be backed up?

Thanks
                            ALL of your files you have saved. They should be under the "USER" category. The filename extensions for your files should be .jpg or .bmp for screenshots, the save-frame files should be .scs files, and the saved movies should be .scm files. At least that's the way the information is categorized for my Solus-Pro and I'm told that the software for the Snappy equipment is the same (which lots of times actually isn't so don't be surprised)
                            YOUR data files would be almost impossible to re-create. The software files can be restored by SO, your dealer, or when you purchase new software.
                            HTH

Comment

Working...