X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meatwad
    • Mar 2011

Volvo coverage

Hey everybody-
    Work at a shop that does alot of Volvo. Was considering upgrading my ultra to Euro so I can have some Volvo coverage. My main question: Can the solus ultra with Euro get a later model Volvo into service mode so the rear calipers can be turned back?? How annoying is it to not be able to do a brake job!! Please post any thoughts. Thanks
  • meatwad
    • Mar 2011

Anybody have any opinion on Volvo coverage???????

Comment

• Modis500
      • Sep 2012

I currently have 11.2 on my Modis, and the Volvo coverage is so-so...only goes back to 2001 with my update, possible farther back with 11.4 and higher. But when you have to check older models, it's just Global OBDII, and it is s....l....o....w...
      So, not too impressed. And limited bi-directional controls
      "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
      Zig Ziglar

Comment

• hefaus
        • Dec 2007

Volvo

Originally posted by meatwad
        Anybody have any opinion on Volvo coverage???????
        Check out the VAG (Vehicle Application Guide) on 12.4..HTH

Comment

• Bob's Garage
          • Nov 2007

Take look at this:

C=Codes & Code Clearing, D=Data, T=Testing :

Snap-On Volvo coverage.jpg

Comment

• meatwad
            • Mar 2011

Thanks everybody for the input- I have looked at the vag already. Just hoping to get real world feedback from other techs that have used it. Right now I work in a shop that does alot of Volvo repair and ultimately has to turn away jobs because we cant turn back your rear brake calipers or we cant put a window regulator in your car because we dont have the capability to relearn the system. My SO guy doesn't have Euro on any loaners so I can't try it before I buy it. Just don't want to buy the Euro and still not have the ability to perform what I would call "basic" repairs. The best answer I can get from SO is "it should". Hoping to hear from other users that "it does".

Comment

• Joe Rappa
              Snap-on DSD
              • Aug 2007

When it comes to scanner coverage, it is impossible to give a definite answer on a general question, and even hard to give a definite answer on a specific one.
              There are only 2 ways to know for certain if the scanner performs a particular function on a particular vehicle.
              1) Plug a scanner in and see what is there (but you can't do that if you don't own it), and often you need to have the car to get that far in the scanner.
              2) Call Tech Support with a VIN and ask a specific question regarding the coverage, and they can ID the car and see.

I have seen the coverage for releasing the E Brake, but I don't know what cars are there and what ones aren't. I doubt the relearn for the windows is in there. Coverage for Volvo goes back to 2000, and one day it may go back to 1996. I've been told that was because the computer systems Volvos back to 2000 were all pretty similar, but 1996 to 1999 there was a wide variety of processors that makes it messy, and costly, to engineer software for. I haven't noticed too many requests for it yet though.

Here's a screen shot for service mode on an S80.
              Hope that helps. Sorry there isn't a better answer. It probably would be best to see it in action, that way you know exactly what you're buying.

Joe
              Attached Files
              "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
              Henry Ford

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                • Nov 2007

Volvo specialization without factory scanner ?

Thanks everybody for the input- I have looked at the vag already. Just hoping to get real world feedback from other techs that have used it. Right now I work in a shop that does alot of Volvo repair and ultimately has to turn away jobs because we cant turn back your rear brake calipers or we cant put a window regulator in your car because we dont have the capability to relearn the system. My SO guy doesn't have Euro on any loaners so I can't try it before I buy it. Just don't want to buy the Euro and still not have the ability to perform what I would call "basic" repairs. The best answer I can get from SO is "it should". Hoping to hear from other users that "it does".

Meatwad,

Man, I am glad you didn't post that last paragraph on iATN, Steve B. and the crew would have had a field day with that one. But, you didn't, and you will see, that we in these S.O. forums are more willing to offer useful advice. What I am referring to is your shop's business model.

If you are a shop that specializes in Volvo, you will need to get the factory tool. If you want to emulate the dealer, you will need thier capability. I know of an independent Volvo specialty shop a few towns away and he has the factory tool. He tried aftermarket first but lost some business. He woke up quickly. This was long before the rise of the AM scanners.

You can't expect aftermarket scanners to do it all. Snap-on only recently picked up Volvo and have expanded coverage every update. Still, there are some holes.

Autel has gained some ground, but most recently, I found a lot of missing tests. The tests are there (in name), they just don't open. Launch is also weak on Volvo. Maybe Vedis?

So, as someone suggested, you need to test drive a Snap-on scanner with Euro. Your franchisee needs to find a way to get you a test tool for at least a month. He could be losing a sale, right? Talk to him again. Since the Euro coverage is already in the S.O. scanners it needs only be unlocked with a license file. Maybe he can get you a temp license?

At any rate, you should get up to date with 12.4, or 13.2 as it will be out soon. Only then will you be sure what S.O. can do for your shop.

At any rate, if your boss wants to advertise that he can fix Volvos, he will have to make the investment. How many jobs is he comfortable losing? What will the talk on the street be? "The shop owner said he can fix Volvos, but directed me to the dealer anyhow"?.

Most shops that specialize in certain brands, have the factory tool. Most keep an aftermarket tool or two around also, as they may be more convienient for certain operations. Unfortunately a lot of aftermarket tools need internet access and are cumbesome to use.

This is why I like to use Snap-on. Fast and convienient, I use them until I feel I need the factory tool, which is not very often at all...

Of course it has been 3 months since we have seen a Volvo.

Comment

• meatwad
                  • Mar 2011

Thanks everybody for the comments. I agree with all of them. My next step will be trying to get my hands on a 13.4 euro demo. I see they offer bootleg copies of the Volvo Vida along with the "dice" that looks promising ASSuming that it actually functions as advertised. I'll update things as I move forward here.

Comment

• Because
                    • Jul 2010

Thanks everybody for the comments. I agree with all of them. My next step will be trying to get my hands on a 13.4 euro demo. I see they offer bootleg copies of the Volvo Vida along with the "dice" that looks promising ASSuming that it actually functions as advertised. I'll update things as I move forward here.
                    I've not had good luck with the Snap On Volvo. I don't have many Volvos and the Snap on hasn't encouraged me to take on more.

I followed some threads on a Volvo forum regarding VIDA and DICE clone tools. Apparently they're not a very good option.

Comment

• GypsyR
                      • Jul 2017

Is that one of the clones that member "Because" stated weren't any good about four years ago in this old thread you've revived ?

Comment

Working...