Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mstinso
    • Jun 2010

MTG2500 Capabuilities

I just purchased a used MTG2500. What is the latest year domestic cartridges available for this unit? Also, what about using it on newer vehicles? Will say a Domestic Combination 96-2000 cartridge do anything on say a 2007 vehicle. I tried to test it on a newer vehicle but was unable to establish communication. I don't know if it is a cable issue or due to the cartridge does not support it. I assumed that I would atleast get generic data or codes.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

MTG 2500

CAN 1B adapter is what is needed on later OBD2 cars , but even with a CAN1B adapter, I don't think you could do more than pull generic OBD2 codes anyway with an MT2500. Even with CAN1 B, After 2006 or 2007 models your SOL except for Global OBD codes, and possibly viewing some data pids.

I Have a MT2500 with CAN 1B , but my cheap Harbor Freight Autel Knock off is all I need to clear codes , or quick check monitors, or check for pending codes .

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

The latest update made for them was around '07. As stated, you will need the Can1-B adapter when it asks for it. The only possible coverage you will have with it beyond your update will be Global OBDII.
      It isn't possible to communicate with some new vehicles with that scanner/update. It would be best to use that scanner on older vehicles that fall within the range of updates.
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• markt
        • Apr 2011

ive been seeing a few posts lately with folk buying these old scanners thinking/hoping they will be up to the job of doing todays latest vehicles.

ok for older stuff but to me its a false economy as just about any new car out there has hardware far superior to what the tool can handle...it would be quite expensive i think to develop a cartridge that could cope with speed/data process rate to handle these newer vehicles.

i used to be a big fan of our old unit years ago when it was just about the most common piece of kit out there but soon got swamped by the big chinese companies with cheaper units and easier better software coverage.

Comment

• SPS10.4
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by mstinso
          I just purchased a used MTG2500. What is the latest year domestic cartridges available for this unit?
          Software Bundle 9.2 (2008) was the last available update for the VCI programmable carts. I don't recommend any matched update higher than V7.4 as I think the Troubleshooter TSI carts stopped at V8.2. This means no Troubleshooter capability on vehicles that the later version VCI supports.

Originally posted by mstinso
          Also, what about using it on newer vehicles? Will say a Domestic Combination 96-2000 cartridge do anything on say a 2007 vehicle. I tried to test it on a newer vehicle but was unable to establish communication. I don't know if it is a cable issue or due to the cartridge does not support it. I assumed that I would atleast get generic data or codes.
          The CAN1B adapter and programmable carts are required along with the necessary personality keys. I still have my old brick with V7.2 (2006) black carts and a CAN1B. In my opinion, VCI/TSI V7.2 black carts offered the most bang for the buck. Worked quite well on Ford CAN trucks and vans. They really packed those black carts with a lot of capability. I have no idea if the MTG Graphing Scanner is useful or not, compared to the newer generation of Snap-On scanners.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Vintage MTG2500 You Tube Video

Last edited by Witsend; 05-19-2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• SPS10.4
              • Aug 2012

Video is worth watching, Thanks Witsend

I love how she "seats" the cartridges on a $2000+ tool. I'll bet she does the same with an M4 magazine.

Comment

Working...