Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scloutkst2889
    • May 2014

MT-25005500 Cartridge Capabilities.

Ok,so I apologize in advance... As you guys are probably sick of these questions.

I was recently gifted an MT2500 scanner. Today I did a few quick google searches on how to bring the scanner as up to date as possible. I quickly found that the MT-25005500 cartridge would be the cheaper way to go about doing so, as I just can not afford the programmable carts.

I understand that the cartridge depending on the version can bring general OBD II capabilities up to fairly recent model years. What I can't seem to find anywhere on the net is what exactly you can do with the cart. I understand most newer cars will require the CAN1B adapter and keys. If some one could give me a full and detailed breakdown of what this cartridge can do for me that would be wonderful. Also, if their are any additional cartridges I would need to enable other functions such as ABS or Transmission scans, what would I need?

I did order the MT-25005500 cart and a K-2A personality key, as this seems to be what most domestic and import cars would use with that cartridge.

So, I guess my questions are....

1) Is this cart capable of giving me any bi-directional capabilities? IF so....
    2) Can I read/erase Trans codes?
    3 Can I read erase ABS codes?
    4) Can I read/erase SRS codes?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

You will need a lot more keys than a K-2A. A K-9 is used by a lot of GMs and K-13 for a lot of Chryslers though. Search Snap On personality key reference chart.

Comment

• SPS10.4
      • Aug 2012

Global cart is cheaper, but you get what you pay for...

Global cart is going to disappoint you.

Shouldn't need any more keys for Generic scanning. As stated, you would need the CAN1B for CAN vehicles.

Recommend Programmable VCI at the minimum, and the Troubleshooter TSI for best results. I'm sure you could find '03 or '04 black carts for a little more than what you paid for the Global cart. Difference between night and day.

What are the model years and makes of the vehicles you are hoping to diagnose?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by scloutkst2889
        Ok,so I apologize in advance... As you guys are probably sick of these questions.

I was recently gifted an MT2500 scanner. Today I did a few quick google searches on how to bring the scanner as up to date as possible. I quickly found that the MT-25005500 cartridge would be the cheaper way to go about doing so, as I just can not afford the programmable carts.

I understand that the cartridge depending on the version can bring general OBD II capabilities up to fairly recent model years. What I can't seem to find anywhere on the net is what exactly you can do with the cart. I understand most newer cars will require the CAN1B adapter and keys. If some one could give me a full and detailed breakdown of what this cartridge can do for me that would be wonderful. Also, if their are any additional cartridges I would need to enable other functions such as ABS or Transmission scans, what would I need?

I did order the MT-25005500 cart and a K-2A personality key, as this seems to be what most domestic and import cars would use with that cartridge.

So, I guess my questions are....

1) Is this cart capable of giving me any bi-directional capabilities? IF so....
        2) Can I read/erase Trans codes?
        3 Can I read erase ABS codes?
        4) Can I read/erase SRS codes?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
        Adding the new OBDII coverage sold on EBay and elsewhere gives you OBDII coverage only. That coverage is no different than buying a Code reader at Walmart, or a parts store. Engine Codes, and limited data stream only.

Questions 1-4 can only be done with an original cartridge, for the years it covers.

Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

Working...