keyless cable for older scanners - would you buy one?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

So I've been thinking about this for awhile, and it's gotta be possible, some way somehow. How hard would it be to build one of these keyless adapters? I mean, if OTC can build them and sell them for around $300 for the plastic piece of scrap they call the Genisys, someone has to have the capabilities. I know that the keys just connect wires on one side of the cable to a connector on the other side...so what's stopping someone on the outside of S.O. Diagnostics by building one? I know it would take someone with an Electrical Engineer degree(or someone quite alot smarter than myself and others around me) but the parts and pieces available out there in the surplus and electrical market, something HAS to be available. I know it wouldn't sell a million pieces, but even if someone sold a thousand pieces to us scanner freaks with keys that want to get away from them and not get a Verus or Verdict(yet), it would at least cover costs and put a couple grand in someone's pocket. Anyone have a buddy with an Electrical Engineering degree and some spare time on their hands??? I hope I'm not stepping on S.O.'s toes here, but I know they don't want to take this hurdle on, as it's not profitable or feasible to them as their future is in keyless and wireless scanners. Anyone got any ideas?
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
      So I've been thinking about this for awhile, and it's gotta be possible, some way somehow. How hard would it be to build one of these keyless adapters? I mean, if OTC can build them and sell them for around $300 for the plastic piece of scrap they call the Genisys, someone has to have the capabilities. I know that the keys just connect wires on one side of the cable to a connector on the other side...so what's stopping someone on the outside of S.O. Diagnostics by building one? I know it would take someone with an Electrical Engineer degree(or someone quite alot smarter than myself and others around me) but the parts and pieces available out there in the surplus and electrical market, something HAS to be available. I know it wouldn't sell a million pieces, but even if someone sold a thousand pieces to us scanner freaks with keys that want to get away from them and not get a Verus or Verdict(yet), it would at least cover costs and put a couple grand in someone's pocket. Anyone have a buddy with an Electrical Engineering degree and some spare time on their hands??? I hope I'm not stepping on S.O.'s toes here, but I know they don't want to take this hurdle on, as it's not profitable or feasible to them as their future is in keyless and wireless scanners. Anyone got any ideas?
      The scan tool's programming would have to be compatible for it to work, I would think. Also, one of the reasons I want a keyless cable is if
      Snap On ever comes out with an all module scan, then the older scanners could take advantage of this as well. Snap on would be more inclined to put all module scan into the older tools if they had a cable to sell you to make it work. They may disagree with me, but I feel the cables would profit them directly and indirectly - just look at the poll here, almost 4 to 1 for it and that is just a small sample of the qualifying scanners out there. Snap On would benefit directly because scanner users hate the keys for obvious reasons and would pay for the convenience of being rid of them but are unwilling to buy a new scanner to do so - therefore Snap On would get money they would otherwise not. They would benefit indirectly because the new cables would require the latest update to support them equaling revenue they might not otherwise get from reluctant updaters. Furthermore it would show a good faith willingness to support their older scanners as long as possible, which would instill more confidence and trust in them which has eroded quite a bit since the Atlas software was introduced. Face it -
      one is far more reluctant to lay out the kind of cash Snap On wants for these scanners if he feels they won't be supported for long. In other words, the guy may not part with that Modis today, but if he has confidence that the tools will be supported well, he will be more inclined to spend his money for that new Verus Ultra with Snap On when the Modis does finally die rather than with the competition.
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• tomtec
        • Jun 2013

keyless cable for older scanners would you buy one?

Originally posted by Wheel
        I considered most of the points you made before I first asked for these.
        That is why I worded the answer choices like I did.
        A Snap On scanner user will fall in one of the 3 categories.

Those with keyed scanners who wouldn't buy a newer scanner or a cable if available probably do not use a scanner enough to really be annoyed with the keys. Believe me - if you use one enough, you WILL look at options.

Then there are those who have or plan to buy one of the new keyless scanners for various reasons. Common sense that they wouldn't want a cable.

That leaves us with those who want to keep their current scanner
        because it is reliable and they like it, can't afford a newer one, or
        just plain mistrust the newer offerings - but absolutely HATE the keys.
        This is your potential market. There are thousands of these out there, and will be until Snap On decides to no longer support them.

The main reasons the mt2500 was retired was its lack of good graphing abilities, poor recording capacity, etc. Everyone knew it had long since reached its limits, thus the demand for it and its unique accessories dried up thus justifying end of support. These other platforms have many years of useful life left unless Snap on artificially ends it by dropping support. While these may not spend money for a scanner,
        the majority would gladly buy a cable to do away with the key problem,
        thus giving Snap On a few hundred dollars from each that they would not otherwise get. As this would require a software upgrade to use, it
        would generate sales here from those who have hesitated to upgrade their software. As you stated, Snap On would no longer have to develop keys - no more angry customers "because the new keys did not come with their update" - a real sore spot that I agree with.
        And finally, if Snap On ever comes with an all module scan feature - which they should - they can share it with these scanner owners too,
        giving them one less reason to need a Genisys.
        This Would Be Really Great For Me As For I Foolishly Left My Entire Set On The Roof Of A Car Only To Loose Them All !!

Comment

• Modis500
          • Sep 2012

Wheel,

I think I may know why they haven't came up with a keyless adapter= Somewhere in Wisconsin is a building full of keys that will go to waste, especially now that all the models are keyless. Have to have a way to hold it over our heads for the guys with the older models
          Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

Wheel,

I think I may know why they haven't came up with a keyless adapter= Somewhere in Wisconsin is a building full of keys that will go to waste, especially now that all the models are keyless.

Possibly.

Have to have a way to hold it over our heads for the guys with the older models

This is most likely the REAL reason they won't do it.
            Too bad. They could've made lots of money, and delivered a product
            older scanner users could've used. would've been a win - win situation.
            You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• tomtec
              • Jun 2013

Wheel,

I think I may know why they haven't came up with a keyless adapter= Somewhere in Wisconsin is a building full of keys that will go to waste, especially now that all the models are keyless. Have to have a way to hold it over our heads for the guys with the older models
              They will never sell them at there prices when you can get them on ebay

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by tomtec
                They will never sell them at there prices when you can get them on ebay
                Be careful - Sometimes your Snap on dealer IS cheaper and he is selling you a new key. It pays to price the keys you need from all sources before buying.

Comment

• Modis500
                  • Sep 2012

Very True. Some are quite inexpensive, however watch out for the K20 and some of those euro keys!!Yikes!
                  Zig Ziglar

Comment

Working...