Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Verus kills the engine.

Weird problem here. Working on a 2004 Buick Rendevouz VIN 3G5DA03E44S596323, when I access Engine Data 1 the engine with shut off within a few seconds and a message will appear on the Verus that it has lost communication with the PCM. The vehicle can be started again but will stall out quickly. Not affected viewing Engine Data 2 or other data lists. Tried rebooting the scanner and resetting the S3 adapter, same issue. Tried another scanner, a Tech2 and runs fine. Runs perfect without the scanner attached. Using a Gen 1 Verus, running 14.2 and the S3 wireless adapter.

Any ideas?
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Can't Verus be used without that wireless adapter/VCM thingy and just run a regular cabled connection from it like a Solus Pro?

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Is there an after market remote start or anything else that might be tapped into the Class 2 serial line.

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
        Is there an after market remote start or anything else that might be tapped into the Class 2 serial line.
        I would expect that to affect BOTH the Engine-Data-1 as well as the Engine-Data-2 pid groups.
        If something is affecting the SERIAL DATA it should affect both.

Comment

• phill57
          • Oct 2007

update

Well that's just too weird. Had to scan the vehicle again today and today it's ok. Go figure. Chalk it up to a glitch, I'll probably never know. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

• 40twist
            • Nov 2008

Just experienced this two weeks ago on a chevy venture. !st gen verus did it as did a verus pro with 14.2. Took me a few minutes before I put two and two together.

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Something SnapOn should DEFINATELY LOOK INTO.....

Comment

• TurboJim
                • Jan 2007

All ya gotta do is switch a couple 0's and 1's and the world ends with that stuff.
                Jim Testa
                Senior Technician
                JD Automotive & Truck Inc
                Dover, NJ

Comment

• Woodz
                  • Mar 2011

I was away on vacation last week and when I got back on Monday, the other tech here told me about a 2004 Pontiac Montana 3.4L V6 Vin E that he was working on. Everytime he went into the data stream the engine would die and our Verus pro with version 14.4 would come up as a loss of comunication. It happened everytime he did it (about 5 times). He then tried our techII and it was fine. Wierd glitch! Nice to know we are not the only ones to see this. Hope Snap-on looks into it and repairs it in the next update

Comment

• chaskuss
                    • Dec 2009

Maybe they already have

Originally posted by Woodz
                    snipped Hope Snap-on looks into it and repairs it in the next update
                    Why not be proactive. Snap On, to their credit. issues SERVICE RELEASES for each software bundle version, when glitches are reported. Think of them like Microsoft's Windows Updates.
                    Remember, if we don't report this stuff, it won't get fixed. It might behoove you to go to the web link below, download the appropriate Service Patch(s) and install them using ShopStream Connect. See

https://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/OffNavPages/DownloadPage.htm?docid=49523&

It's better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness. The Service Update might fix his issue. You could always call tech support first and ask them what the Service Releases fix for your software bundle. If nothing else, you can report this issue to them.

Charlie
                    Last edited by chaskuss; 01-07-2015, 06:04 PM. Reason: fixed spelling error

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Woodz
                      I was away on vacation last week and when I got back on Monday, the other tech here told me about a 2004 Pontiac Montana 3.4L V6 Vin E that he was working on. Everytime he went into the data stream the engine would die and our Verus pro with version 14.4 would come up as a loss of comunication. It happened everytime he did it (about 5 times). He then tried our techII and it was fine. Wierd glitch! Nice to know we are not the only ones to see this. Hope Snap-on looks into it and repairs it in the next update
                      Post up the VIN here. SnapOn do look at posts.

Follow up with what Chaskuss says also.

Comment

Working...