Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedybon
    • Jan 2012

Solus Edge what the deal?

So what up with the new Solus Edge were is there any information on it like specs?
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

The information is there for the taking under diagnostic platforms.
    In the video there is a technician with a British accent now , so maybe the European coverage might be included and not an extra cost option?

Comment

• Modis500
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Witsend
      The information is there for the taking under diagnostic platforms.
      In the video there is a technician with a British accent now , so maybe the European coverage might be included and not an extra cost option?

http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/u...cPlatforms.htm
      Best of luck with that!!!!
      Checked out the video... Looks like a Modis Ultra minus the scope... Just a bigger screen than the Solus Ultra. Not sure what else yet
      "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
      Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Looks like it has a WiFi For accessing Sure Trak site and maybe let you access your Shop Stream Connect program . Doubt you be able to surf , or load Apps , attach a bore scope, Access You-Tube and run a surround sound off it. LOL. I think I'm going to wait and see how much guys are able to Root or Jail Break a MaxiPad before I bend over for one.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

It is larger than the Solus Ultra. About the size of the Modis Ultra.
          It has WiFi for accessing Suretrack but does not have a browser to access anything else.
          It is faster than the Solus a Ultra, but the Solus Ultr is already pretty quick.
          That's it.
          Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• Modis500
            • Sep 2012

Joe,

Did I see something in the video about the tool going into each module to check for codes automatically? Is this something we can expect just on the newer tools or on an update? Thanks
            "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
            Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Only if the tool doesn't use personality keys.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
                Only if the tool doesn't use personality keys.
                As Crusty says, is the scanner needs personality keys to scan, then it can't do a code scan because of the need to switch pins while scanning multiple modules. Code scan and Clear All Codes has been added to a number of car lines for 14.4 for all keyless scanners.
                Joe
                Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

There are SOME things the newer tools do that is good, such as an All-Module-Scan, BUT.... there are some things the OLDER tools do BETTER.

One example is the EONV evap system testing. The newer tool SUCKS because it dumps the saved data buffer where the older Solus-PRO simply needs the key turned back on to restore communication so we can capture the end of EONV data that satisfied the ECM before it shut down at the end of the EONV testing.

One example of a vehicle that has done All-Module-Scan for over a decade is GM's where they tell you to start with what they call a "Diagnostic-Circuit-Check" so we don't get caught with a code or failure recognised by one module causing a "fail-soft" in another module.

Too bad they can't "marry" the two concepts into one tool. I have no doubt they could if they wanted to.

If they simply stopped DUMPING THE BUFFER in the newer Solus-Ultra or the Solus-Edge then I'd be singing praise more...... The way it is they won't be prying the older Solus-PRO out of my cold dead hands anytime soon.

Oh, and another thing.... the older Solus-PRO HAS the capability of saving jpg's instead of humungous bitmaps which is a much older technology than bitmaps or jpg's or tiff's or png's......NO it's not a limitation of the SMX operating system either.

At least the newer tools can do the "Diagnostic Circuit Check". I'm saddened because it only took a decade to get there.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Does it do the DS 708 scanner one better and actually show all the codes and descriptions of codes in every module as part of the All Module Scan, or like the DS 708 do you then have to select each module individually in the list that do show one or more faults , and follow a menu to retrieve the codes and descriptions?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                      Snap-on DSD
                      • Aug 2007

Does it do the DS 708 scanner one better and actually show all the codes and descriptions of codes in every module as part of the All Module Scan, or like the DS 708 do you then have to select each module individually in the list that do show one or more faults , and follow a menu to retrieve the codes and descriptions?
                      First it lists the controllers and the number of codes.
                      Scroll down for descriptions.
                      Attached Files
                      Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Pretty nice, Sometimes, on DS 708 I wish the OE Acronyms used to ID all the the damn modules would just be spelled out in complete words in brackets, or have short explanation in Layman's Terms next to the module's Acronyms.
                        Even though scrolling down feature might save time having to go into each module separately to view the codes like a DS 708, Tuetonic Turds like Beemers have about 30 modules with about a half dozen nonsense codes in each Farfignuegen system after something like a simple battery discharge and a jumpstart. I sometimes Just want to cut to the chase and interested in maybe only 10 modules . Scrolling through page after page of diatribe from nonsense modules I don't wish to see might be unnecessary , if from the auto scan results you could just select and tap the line of the desired module having codes, and it just immediately opens the window displaying the codes of the selected scanned module right beneath it .Tap the same line again and list of codes disappears. Could save unnecessary paper and ink on selective print outs. Just an idea

Comment

• Crusty
                          • Dec 2007

Pretty nice, Sometimes, on DS 708 I wish the OE Acronyms used to ID all the the damn modules would just be spelled out in complete words in brackets, or have short explanation in Layman's Terms next to the module's Acronyms.
                          Even though scrolling down feature might save time having to go into each module separately to view the codes like a DS 708, Tuetonic Turds like Beemers have about 30 modules with about a half dozen nonsense codes in each Farfignuegen system after something like a simple battery discharge and a jumpstart. I sometimes Just want to cut to the chase and interested in maybe only 10 modules . Scrolling through page after page of diatribe from nonsense modules I don't wish to see might be unnecessary , if from the auto scan results you could just select and tap the line of the desired module having codes, and it just immediately opens the window displaying the codes of the selected scanned module right beneath it .Tap the same line again and list of codes disappears. Could save unnecessary paper and ink on selective print outs. Just an idea
                          On the first page or two it shows the number of modules detected, whether that is 6 or 9 or 18, etc.
                          Then it lists them in order with the number of codes in each module.

When you page down it then lists each module and lists the code numbers and their descriptions.

You can save just a screen shot of the page you want AND it will also save the complete report to an XML file if you want to.
                          As long as you have queried or captured the VIN BEFORE you perform the all-module-scan, it will save the VIN in the XML file (usually, I hope they capture the VIN automatically SOON).
                          Now you have a COMPLETE record of all the codes found, which can be very significant as a code in one area can be related to other codes in other modules.

Willy Nilly clearing codes isn't a good idea. That harkens back to the 80's and 90's era where people would have the MIL come on once a week and just disconnect the battery or pull the fuse to clear codes instead of FIXING the problem. THAT is why they made codes non-volatile where disconnecting battery power doesn't "solve" the problem of the MIL light being on.

Saving the entire list to several screenshots, or saving a single XML file uses NO INK & PAPER at all. I just wish the screenshots weren't 750kb when they could be one tenth of that and save digital storage space if they used smaller jpg's or tif or png files.

If someone wants to buy into vehicles like, "Tuetonic Turds like Beemers have about 30 modules with about a half dozen nonsense codes in each Farfignuegen system", then I guess they'll have to get used to paying for the time (and cost) they take to repair.
                          If something isn't broken, an engineer thinks it doesn't have enough features yet. ROFLMAO

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

In the pictures I know the scan results were for a diesel 2.7 Dodge Sprinter, but can't understand why at the top ,it also shows 2005 Dodge Durango along with the Sprinter ID?
                            Is that a glitch , or did Johnnie Cash assemble a Hybrid vehicle for Chrysler?

Comment

• Trindaddy
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                              It is larger than the Solus Ultra. About the size of the Modis Ultra.
                              It has WiFi for accessing Suretrack
                              ...as does the Modis Ultra I'm told. Too bad neither has the ability to print to a wireless network printer (or have the ability to create short, succinct lists as the "old" modis once did for printing)...*sigh*

Comment

Working...