Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > ZEUS User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 03-16-2019, 04:46 PM

ronald316 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default can t scan

has any one had this problem iwent to scan a 2006 dodge ram 1500 won t scan it.use my launch scan no problem.friday i scaned a 2006 ford f350 6.0 litre diesel. wont scan again i use my launch scans it no problem.what the hell 15.000.00 tool and can t do a simple job.i wish i never seen this tool they keep showing there guided test and half the time there s no available test available
Old 03-16-2019, 05:28 PM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Please provide VIN #s and more information about exactly what modules in the vehicle you could not communicate with , so engineering can investigate whether it is just random software in your scanner or an actual issue they'll have to address in the next update. If it is something that can damage a vehicle or cause liability to the company , it will get addressed for free with a patch. You ever hear of Rolling Black outs? My ears are twitching big time under my foil hat , so I suspect there is some sort of wheel of misfortune where at any given time someone is going to hit on something that doesn't work that still works fine for most, thus a need to always need to buy the next update to see if the problem is fixed.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:21 PM

ronald316 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

both were engine scans.on the 06ram 1500 i called snap on tech support and they blame the truck
Old 03-16-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Both were engine scans. On the 06ram 1500, I called snap on tech support, and they blamed the truck.
Did you fail to mention to them that the Launch scanner communicated fine with both vehicles?
Did the Zeus at least work in generic OBD2 code scanner mode on the vehicles in question? Sometimes I wonder if some of the OE car companies do engine reflash calibration updates that might include slight changes to communication protocol recognition where it may no longer want to communicate with an aftermarket scantool from companies that stop paying extorted fees for licensing

Last edited by Witsend; 03-16-2019 at 08:50 PM..
Old 03-17-2019, 07:47 AM

Glide Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
Sometimes I wonder if some of the OE car companies do engine reflash calibration updates that might include slight changes to communication protocol recognition where it may no longer want to communicate with an aftermarket scantool from companies that stop paying extorted fees for licensing
On the contrary,the OEMs often have software updates to help generic scan tools work better with their software.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
On the contrary,the OEMs often have software updates to help generic scan tools work better with their software.
I don't see Secure Gateway being implemented on their newer vehicles as a move to accommodate aftermarket scan tools, so what's to keep them from running dealership oil change specials with complementary vehicle scans that changes the communication coding slightly , where the next shop that works on the vehicle can only communicate in generic OBD2 mode and leaves techs using aftermarket scan tools scratching their heads, and the customer having to resort to the dealer. Next thing be ransomware with a credit card chip reader on our scantools
Old 03-17-2019, 11:26 AM

GypsyR Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Our Zeus wouldn't scan the other day. Come to find out someone had managed to bend one of the pins in the DLC fob. Thankfully I was able to straighten it.

I've had no other issues with Dodge trucks around that year.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:32 PM

Glide Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
I don't see Secure Gateway being implemented on their newer vehicles as a move to accommodate aftermarket scan toolst
I agree with that.In my mind it flies in the face of R2R.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:38 PM

Wheel Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide View Post
I agree with that.In my mind it flies in the face of R2R.
Yep, it needs to be stopped right now and the car owners, aftermarket, and the government need to do whatever it takes to stop it cold. A company doing something like this should be driven out of business permanently. The battle lines have been drawn.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Yep, it needs to be stopped right now and the car owners, aftermarket, and the government need to do whatever it takes to stop it cold. A company doing something like this should be driven out of business permanently. The battle lines have been drawn.
I think driven out of business permanently be a little harsh, but if there really are customers out there that are gullible enough to believe that there is likely an an evil computer geek is going to hack into their Grand Cherokee and take control and run their family vehicle off the road , then they can opt not to get the SGM Bypass Recall done and the security PINs, besides their radio and navigation system antitheft codes provided to owners anytime free of charge after the vehicles are out of bumper to bumper warranty coverage.