Anyone ever programmed a used ford cluster?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

Anyone ever programmed a used ford cluster?

So my question is, has anyone ever programmed a used Instrument Cluster? I have a 2000 Ford Windstar, I'm replacing the cluster bc the Anti-theft won't allow keys to be programmed anymore. The guy took it to a locksmith(certified) and when he tried to add a spare, it wouldn't let him. So after testing the damn thing, we figured that the cluster was bad. I have never done a cluster swap on these cars bc it just never came up. I'm trying to find out if I can swap a junked or used cluster(same options on the cluster, etc) and if it's even possible. I know that everyone here goes and buys a cluster from Ford, so all you have to do is pull up the As built Data and that it. But what if the cluster is used and has the old info from its original car? I tried to "inhale" the info from the original cluster since it worked, but when I installed the new(junkyard) cluster, FMP stated that it couldn't do it and I had to use the "As Built Data". The problem is that the "As Built Data" asks for 61-01, but it's not listed in the info Ford provided. I wrote every number it gave me and all gave me the "Data incorrect". I'm just furious since I've seen people do it. Or was I imagining things? Is there a way to trick FMP and make it think the junked cluster is new? My brain hurts bc it feels that I'm missing a step that I'm sure might not exist. Any help will be appreciated since I'm stuck with this used/junked cluster. Any help would be appreciated. Ask me anything and I'll be a ble to answer right away. Thank you for your time guys. Appreciate it a lot. Regards, Chavez.
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

Module Reprogramming

VIN: 2FMZA5149YBC85578
    Vehicle Data: 1311 4F55 FFC7

click here if module data required is not available below.

PCM Module
    PCM 1 FFFF FFFF FF0C
    PCM 2 FFFF FFFF FF0D
    PCM 3 FFFF FFFF FF0E
    PCM 4 FFFF FFFF FF0F
    PCM 5 FFFF FFFF FF10
    PCM 6 FFFF FFFF FF11
    PCM 7 FFFF FFFF FF12
    PCM 8 FFFF FFFF FF13
    PCM 9 FFFF FFFF FF14
    BCE Modules TSB SSM Instructions
    A0-01 E000 0000 FF80

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

28-01 2000 0000 FF48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

50-01 7900 0000 FFC9

52-01 E2D8 5000 FF5C

60-01 7D80 0000 FF5D

End of As Built information

No 61-01. Entered all those numbers 1 by 1 AND ALL GAVE "Module Data Incorrect". Having the Used Cluster installed.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

I've run into this before, turned out that I had the wrong cluster. Check it carefully, you'll probably find some differences. There is another thread in here that says what the difference is. I can't remember right now.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
        • Apr 2011

Really? That sucks. I guess the sub-model might make a difference as well? I have a Windstar LX. So it could be that. I was just wondering if maybe all I had to do was the Anti-theft, which I tried last night and still no Start. My mind is all over the place since I had a guy with the same problem and someone fix it for him. I guess I'm missing something. I did find the other threads about this problem, but one person sent it to the dealer to get it programmed. I'll keep looking.

Comment

• Rich Barton
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
          Really? That sucks. I guess the sub-model might make a difference as well? I have a Windstar LX. So it could be that. I was just wondering if maybe all I had to do was the Anti-theft, which I tried last night and still no Start. My mind is all over the place since I had a guy with the same problem and someone fix it for him. I guess I'm missing something. I did find the other threads about this problem, but one person sent it to the dealer to get it programmed. I'll keep looking.
          Hi Toltecaschavez,

You can not change the mileage on a used cluster.
          If the mileage does not matter to you then it will work but a parameter reset will need to be done for the theft module to learn the new keys because the theft module is built into the cluster.

The Ford Ids scan tool does this no problem if you go into security you will see parameter reset click that then it will ask you what module has been replaced and you then click ic and it will erase all keys,you will need 2 keys to learn to new theft module or in this case used cluster, as for jbox I dont think you can do it.

Maybe this helps.
          Rich Barton
          C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• Earl Davis
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Rich Barton
            Hi Toltecaschavez,

You can not change the mileage on a used cluster.
            If the mileage does not matter to you then it will work but a parameter reset will need to be done for the theft module to learn the new keys because the theft module is built into the cluster.

The Ford Ids scan tool does this no problem if you go into security you will see parameter reset click that then it will ask you what module has been replaced and you then click ic and it will erase all keys,you will need 2 keys to learn to new theft module or in this case used cluster, as for jbox I dont think you can do it.

Maybe this helps.
            Hi Rich,

Next time you do a used cluster on a Ford, try a parameter reset on the PCM instead of the HEC and you only have to have one key.

Earl

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
              • Apr 2011

After checking the car, it appears I did reset the parameter, but failed since I have only 1 key. Now I get DTC B1213: Less than 2 keys etc... I have a guy who can program clusters with only 1 key. How is that possible? I've seen him insert the same key twice and it works. I tried this but failed miserably. I'm purchasing the extra key on monday, but wanted to know if anyone knows about this or maybe he knows something I don't. As far as trying to program the cluster. I found a thread that someone e-mail ford and they told them to input FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FF5D. I went ahead and di it, it worked, but I got another error. I'm going to try it again and maybe I get lucky. All I want to do is program the miles along with the Anti-Theft. That's where I'm at right now. Thanks for all ur replies guys.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Earl Davis
                Hi Rich,

Next time you do a used cluster on a Ford, try a parameter reset on the PCM instead of the HEC and you only have to have one key.

Earl
                I'm going to try this out, it's EXACTLY WHAT I JUST ASKED. I'll see what happens. So, when it asks which module I just installed, I choose PCM instead of IC(Instrument Cluster)?

Comment

• greasybob
                  • May 2008

I think the difference I had with the cluster I tried to install was with the information display. The original did not have this and the one I tried to install did and that was why I could not find the correct as built numbers. I was how ever able to get a PATs relearn to work with the wrong cluster, just had messages come up on the display that did not apply to the vehicle. I don't think that you will be able to change the odometer, but then I never tried on a used cluster. I think it works the same as GM, you can write milage to new cluster but not a used one.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                    • Apr 2011

Any step by step guide about how to do the PCM parameter reset using the FMP77? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by greasybob
                      I think the difference I had with the cluster I tried to install was with the information display. The original did not have this and the one I tried to install did and that was why I could not find the correct as built numbers. I was how ever able to get a PATs relearn to work with the wrong cluster, just had messages come up on the display that did not apply to the vehicle. I don't think that you will be able to change the odometer, but then I never tried on a used cluster. I think it works the same as GM, you can write mileage to new cluster but not a used one.
                      Thanks bob, I saw that it was you who had this problem. I was looking around and found your thread. Excellent tips which helped me understand the problems I'm having. Original cluster has an AB, while the junked one has AA at the end of it. Could be that as well. Both have message display, but maybe they might have other things that don't match.

Comment

• Rich Barton
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Earl Davis
                        Hi Rich,

Earl
                        Hi Earl,
                        That only works on the old ones,So not to waste my time on the job I always have 2 keys to get it done
                        Rich Barton
                        C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                          • Apr 2011

Just to add another question, do the keys HAVE to be blank? Or it just has to be 2 keys? The customer has 1 and I'm getting another one cut, so will this work? Or do I have to get 2 NEW keys?

Comment

• hefaus
                            • Dec 2007

key's

Here is a link that may help. Hth. Keep smiling http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                              • Apr 2011

Just to add to this thread. Once again, I had to program a 99 Ford Windstar with only 1 key. Since the customer wanted the car right away, I called the guy that can program a ford with only 1 key. How he does it is still a mystery to me. If anyone knows, please share it with us. I would like to know how he does it with only 1 key when ford asks for 2. :-/ Regards, Chavez.

Comment

Working...