Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbarnes5654
    • Apr 2007

custom data list

I want the custom data list to be changed back to the way it was. I don't want to have to scroll over to access it and I don't want to have to reset the the pids if I navigate out of it for any reason.

Don
  • Bob's Garage
    • Nov 2007

Custom Data list time wasting

I don't know about the scrolling part, that is a quick step, not as fast as the old way, when you hit "no" you had the choice to construct a CDL.

Since I use a Custom Data list on every thing I scan, I can see your point.

My main beef about custom data list is all the time wasted reconstructing custom data lists if you decide to exit the data stream for any reason. I remember when the scanners would save a custom data list.

I would like to see that capability to return and even have a folder of "Saved Custom Data Lists" under that particular vehicle scanned.

Thanks, Bob
    Last edited by Bob's Garage; 09-06-2010, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• dbarnes5654
      • Apr 2007

Hi Bob,
      OK, I agree, I can live with the scrolling part, but having to reset the pids everytime is just a PITA. In my opinion, the CDL was perfect before. I wonder why the change was made. If a majority of user had requested the change, then I can understand why it was changed and I guess I can learn to live with it.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
        • Nov 2007

Why did they change Custom Data List configuration??

I have no idea why they changed Custom Data List (CDL). It worked before, the scanner saved your CDL if you left the current data group to check codes or monitors but it has been a while since it was changed to current configuration. Maybe no one seemed to take notice and complained enough? That may be possibly due to the fact that a lot of techs simply do not know how to construct a Custom Data List or even know why we use Custom Data Lists?

For those wonder why we use CDLs, let me explain why I use them.
        #1 It speeds up the data refresh rate when there are less PIDs being recieved/displayed. This makes graphing more accurate.
        #2 Takes less time sorting through PIDs when you are scanning. Possibly get all data on one screen, without the need to scroll.
        #3 For me, it helps with documentation, due to ease of storing pertinent data on screenshots and data movies.

Anyhow, when I test drive a car, I always use a CDL and am always going in and out of different data groups and checking monitors, codes, pending codes, etc... I would like the ability to save my CDL. It is very wasteful to reconstruct your CDL every time you pause to check codes or monitors etc...

Anyone else feel the same?

C'mon out there, if you don't like it, let Snap-on know. They won't change it if they don't get feedback.
        I personally know that Snap-on monitors this forum, and it was in this forum that I asked Snap-on for GM service bay evap test and we got it!

Thanks, Bob
        Last edited by Bob's Garage; 09-05-2010, 08:05 PM. Reason: ADDED MORE DATA TO CLARIFY REASONS TO BRING BACK CUSTOM DATA LIST STORAGE

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

Saving the CDL would defiantly be key, reconstructing it is a big waste of time which can really add up on a tough diagnosis. And wasted time is lost money. And I also use the CDL on almost every vehicle as Bob does so adding up all that extra time is a lot of lost money. The folder idea for the current vehicle would be a big plus if possible.

Steve

Comment

• diesel71
            • Feb 2008

I have to agree, spending alot of time reconstructing your data list is a wast of time. after reading this thread i thought back to the last few trucks i scanned and yes i did spend alot of time constructing my custom data list. the worst is like bob said you leave the data menu go and check codes then come back and have to start reconstructing your custom list again. what i think would be nice is after you set your custom data list, that it stay that way untill you change it or switch vehicles.

Comment

• DrTranny
              • Oct 2010

I Agree, I'm A Tranny Man And I Only Monitor Certian Inputs Depending On The Problem At Hand. If I Have A Po740 Then I Only Monitor Anything That Has To Do With Converter Pid's.
              And Yes...if Snap On Monitors This Forum...do Something About Custom Data Lists!
              I Agree!!!

Comment

• terryj
                • Oct 2007

The shop has a Verus. I only monitor the pids related to the problem that I am diagnosing. I would like to see a customized pid list retained until you change vehicles. The way it is now having to reselect the wanted pids each time you you move from the data screen is a waste of time and very frustrating.

SNAP ON ARE YOU LISTENING ??????????

Comment

• Orevin
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by terryj
                  The shop has a Verus. I only monitor the pids related to the problem that I am diagnosing. I would like to see a customized pid list retained until you change vehicles.
                  I would like to see the list saved as for as long as the vehicle is listed in the previous vehicles list, makes for easier repair verification. The necessary information could be saved on the flash card/USB stick, if the capacity of the scan tools memory isn't large enough.

The way it is now having to reselect the wanted pids each time you you move from the data screen is a waste of time and very frustrating.
                  Agree.

SNAP ON ARE YOU LISTENING ??????????
                  -Kai-
                  Chicago, IL

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                    • Nov 2007

What about multiple data lists.

Kai,

You guys are hitting the nail on the head.

With PC platforms why couldn't you have multiple CDLs?

Bob

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

I certainly agree with this. The way to do this is on the bottom of the screen where you select your costum data list have a tab that says "LOCK DATA LIST" and it would stay locked with this vehicle until you hit the "UNLOCK" tab. Pretty simple but then I'm not a computer programmer or software writer.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                        • Nov 2007

saved custom data lists

I get tired of building CDLs every time I leave the data group, sheck for readiness or look at another data group and come back to the original data group. It's as if you are being penalized for using your scanner's potential.

Yes, locking a list would be an excellent idea, and / or a list of "Saved CDLs" that you could bounce between, or go back to when you are done checking pending codes or readiness monitors etc..

For example:

a) EGR data only, CDL 6 PID (or whatever PIDs you deem important)

b) Evap data only, CDL 8 PIDs (or whatever PIDs you deem important)

c) Fuel trim data, CDL 12 PIDs etc..

Call me a dreamer.
                        Last edited by Bob's Garage; 11-21-2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Trindaddy
                          • Jan 2010

Cdl

I too agree. New CDL is step backwards. What say you Snap-On?

Comment

• Warren97053
                            • May 2013

here's the second part of this whole thing, why do you loose everything from a momentary loss of communication? Modis doesn't do it. It just stops the graph but the graph still stays there.

Comment

Working...