X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

Looking For Parts

Okay Forum,

I know this isn't a classified ad here, but I need a little help. And I've run out of luck on eBay. Looking for used or junk Modis units to put together a good working one. My Gen1 Modis buttons are INOP and the screen is scratched up. Plus I'm sure they're about to stop servicing these as they have been NFS for 3 years. Anyone got Modis parts or bodies that are collecting junk? PM and we'll talk prices.

Tom
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar
  • chaskuss
    • Dec 2009

Tom, Why not take yours apart. Try cleaning the buttons. Most likely cause of failure is dirt and/or oil between the contact surfaces. Use rubbing alcohol or electrical contact cleaner on them. Then test with an ohmmeter before reassembly. Pick up an appropriate sized piece of plexiglass from your local plastics supply house and make a new lens for it. You can fabricate a new "cling film" shield for your new lens. You can buy that cling film cheap at a crafts store or the fabrics department at Walmart.
    Charlie

Comment

• Modis500
      • Sep 2012

Thanks Charlie, I'll give it a shot. Any other old tricks you have for these machines would be appreciated

Tom
      Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Maybe you could find a Modis that is a newer model with the raised screen and faster processor, then just update it. They can sometimes be found on EBay for a deal without the case, cables and connectors and the price is reasonable.
        I know that is not exactly what you are looking for, but you might find a decent deal. Did you check with Tech Support to see what they can fix the buttons for? I don't know what it is, but it might not be too bad.

Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• chaskuss
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Modis500
          Thanks Charlie, I'll give it a shot. Any other old tricks you have for these machines would be appreciated
          Tom
          Give me a little more info about your old Gen I Modis. What software bundle does it have? Has it been upgraded at all? Photos of the mother board and internals would help. What's the model number on the display screen, etc. If, it's really old, Joe's suggestion might be the best idea.
          Another source for the cling film is EBay. Do a search for screen protectors for an iPad. It has a screen larger than your Modis.

Charlie

Comment

• chaskuss
            • Dec 2009

Increasing memory

Tom
            According to Goosed59 in the link below, the memory can be upgraded, even in the older Gen I Modis. See

I've done this [using a PC100 SDRam 256 Mb module in place of the OEM 64 Mb module] with several Gen II Modis'. It does help with the boot up time and general running. There is also an empty PC100 laptop memory slot. Adding memory here will increase memory for things like snap shots, movies and cars recently worked on. I've got a couple of old PC100 SDRam 128 Mb chips just sitting around doing nothing. You are welcome to one of them. Just PM me and let me know where to send it.
            Charlie
            Last edited by chaskuss; 01-05-2015, 02:15 AM. Reason: corrected referenced user's name

Comment

• Modis500
              • Sep 2012

Charlie,

It's running 10.2 right. It's a recent purchase I picked up to have a scope on hand that has 4 channels. I'll tear into it later this week and get you all the pertinent info you're asking about and we'll go from there.
              Tom
              Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

I'll tear into it later this week and get you all the pertinent info you're asking about and we'll go from there.
                Tom
                Take precautions not to use any magnetic tipped screwdrivers, or magnetic pickup tools, and guard against static electricity discharge is very important, especially in dry winter conditions sitting in carpeted areas. Maybe use a anti static mat and wrist band .Memory modules and hard drives belong in special antistatic bags, not regular sandwich bags.

Comment

• chaskuss
                  • Dec 2009

That's good news

Charlie,

It's running 10.2 right. It's a recent purchase I picked up to have a scope on hand that has 4 channels. I'll tear into it later this week and get you all the pertinent info you're asking about and we'll go from there.
                  Tom
                  With 10.2 that means that it's been upgraded to the later mother board. See what size the CF card is in it. I believe you should have the newer 512Mb card. I believe the larger CF card is needed to update to 8.2 or beyond. The original Gen I motherboards don't have a USB port. If I remember correctly [always a dicey prospect at this point in life ] I think the units with the newer mother boards have a USB port. Not sure about that, though.

Comment

• Modis500
                    • Sep 2012

No USB port on this model
                    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• chaskuss
                      • Dec 2009

Motherboard photos

Originally posted by chaskuss
                      According to Goosed59 in the link below, the memory can be upgraded, even in the older Gen I Modis. See

I've done this [using a PC100 SDRam 256 Mb module in place of the OEM 64 Mb module] with several Gen II Modis'. It does help with the boot up time and general running. There is also an empty PC100 laptop memory slot. Adding memory here will increase memory for things like snap shots, movies and cars recently worked on. I've got a couple of old PC100 SDRam 128 Mb chips just sitting around doing nothing. You are welcome to one of them. Just PM me and let me know where to send it.
                      Charlie
                      For photos of a Gen 2 motherboard [your Gen 1 should be similar] showing the memory & sockets, check out the thread linked below. Hopefully, it will help.

Comment

• LarryB
                        • Feb 2016

I'm looking for a thumbpad

Hi, I'm looking for a used thumbpad for a Modis just the bottom board. Help please

Comment

• LarryB
                          • Feb 2016

And it don't matter if it works just vary low in price it's going to be use as a backer or use to cobble together a working or not one . Thank

Comment

• LarryB
                            • Feb 2016

It's by the way is a MODIS EEMS300

Comment

Working...