Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Verus User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 10-09-2018, 03:13 PM

Matt Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Fuel composition PID

I currently have 2013 Silverado 2500HD with a 6.0L in the shop having extend crank/cold-start run rough symptoms. No DTCs current or history in any module. This thing has 17,000 on it is all. First thing I wanted to check with my Verus is the alcohol content PID, (this is an E85 compatible rig). I can't find any fuel content PID data at all with my scan tool, or the ability to reset the fuel composition in the functional tests. I guess my question is there even a fuel content sensor on this vehicle? I just assumed there was due to its E85 gas cap. Any ideas
P.S. Im running 18.4 in my EDGE, wouldn't think scan tool coverage issue
Old 10-09-2018, 10:25 PM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

With only 17000 miles on a 6 year old vehicle that sits a lot, maybe the fuel has just gone stale or rodents have taken up a large residence in the air cleaner box. What codes you pull ? What is the fuel pressure?, Baro pid?, Long and Short Fuel Trims ? Grams per minute with MAF at idle would be useful info.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:01 AM

Glide Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I currently have 2013 Silverado 2500HD with a 6.0L in the shop having extend crank/cold-start run rough symptoms. No DTCs current or history in any module. This thing has 17,000 on it is all. First thing I wanted to check with my Verus is the alcohol content PID, (this is an E85 compatible rig). I can't find any fuel content PID data at all with my scan tool, or the ability to reset the fuel composition in the functional tests. I guess my question is there even a fuel content sensor on this vehicle? I just assumed there was due to its E85 gas cap. Any ideas
P.S. Im running 18.4 in my EDGE, wouldn't think scan tool coverage issue
Looking at scan tool diagnostics for this vehicle in service information, there is no fuel content PID listed,and the only output controls are fuel pressure,fuel pump on/off,and fuel trim reset.
It's not your Edge,it wouldn't matter what tool you have.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:50 AM

Matt Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Thank you Wit & Glide. Ill chase this thing with good old fashioned diag. I was just looking for a short-cut. Ill post results when I get them.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:20 AM

bestdamgarage Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I had a older g6 needed to reset alcohol content and relearn it had to use tech 2 verus wouldnt do it.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestdamgarage View Post
I had a older g6 needed to reset alcohol content and relearn it had to use tech 2 verus wouldnt do it.
That's kind of what I was wondering. This thing acts like classic alcohol content is off. I've reset several GMs in the past and puts them right-as-rain. I thought that's where I was headed with this Silverado and don't have the option.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 AM

bestdamgarage Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Yeah the one i had said it was like 54 percent alchol which was way of the aclohol pid was displayed on the verus though..
Old 10-11-2018, 12:54 PM

SnapOnKid Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I believe these use a Virtual Flex fuel table which is based on 02 Sensor Feedback. Dependent on how rich or lean its burning it can calculate the alcohol content in the fuel based off a table within the calibration file. It uses that table to adjust the required fueling conditions.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOnKid View Post
I believe these use a Virtual Flex fuel table which is based on 02 Sensor Feedback. Dependent on how rich or lean its burning it can calculate the alcohol content in the fuel based off a table within the calibration file. It uses that table to adjust the required fueling conditions.
Well, that proves it. Once I get familiar with something they have to go and change it.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:26 PM

SnapOnKid Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Well, that proves it. Once I get familiar with something they have to go and change it.
Here is a few images of a 2012 calibration with Flex fuel using 3rd party software that shows some of the tables.

When you get down to what it's doing and how it's doing it, it's pretty amazing.

None of the aftermarket 3rd party software companies support all the tables the OEM uses. We are actually lucky we get to see and adjust what we do have access to for offroad and performance industry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (184.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (137.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (254.3 KB, 18 views)