Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stalls
    • Apr 2017

Bad Hard drive

My hard drive wont even turn on at all. I bought a new SSD and would like to set this one up. I am not worried about any info on the scan tool for recovery besides the license file. But I don't know how set it up with the proper software. Snap on said they would remote access it and give me a license file if I can get it to boot up and setup. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  • kirkbarrow.garage
    • Jan 2015

Setting up

I am not 100% certain on this type of hard drive ( not used one yet ) nor on the newest scanners as working on getting a Verdict soon.
    But I do know you never defragment an SSD as it will kill it, and if the system is on an sd card format, then you should be able to reload it to the SSD once you fitted it into the Verdict/Verus or similar and go from there.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

There are a couple of guys that have done the SSD swap. None of them are regulars on the forum though. Maybe send them a message, or post in their threads to see if you get an answer that way.
      I've got an SSS in my Verdict. It doesn't make it lightening fast, but it sure does speed it up.
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Stalls
        • Apr 2017

My original hard drive went bad... So I can't clone it.. I didn't know if I could do something like load windows xp on it and then load on the snap on software. I would still be missing the license key. Snap on did tell me they would remote log in and then verify it to send me the file. Or does someone have a system image or a backup I could have? Idk I'm drawing straws here because my original hard drive is completely toast. Thanks!

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

It's a tough call now if you didn't clone the drive while it was still healthy, sucks to over the barrel to send it out for repair and they will only put a new regular hard drive in it (XP embedded doesn't natively support a feature called Trim that later systems use for SSD setups because SSDs didn't exist at the consumer PC level when XP developed.)

Comment

• jimbo4822
            • Mar 2014

I have upgraded to an ssd The interface on the ssd is not a standard SATA interface so you need to get a small case to put the new ssd in and get a program to clone it. My issue was the program didn't clone the hidden partition so when i needed to do a restore that option wasn't there. It was necessary to reinstall the old drive and restore the Verdict and then re clone. If you get two of the cases then you can plug them into a PC and use the PC to clone them, might be better than going through the verdict because of the better PC hardware. Also if the Verdict doesn't boot that may be necessary

If i would have done more research and used a better clone program this may have been avoided. When changing the drive care is needed for the ribbon cables. I got the drive and case on Amazon about 120 for both i think. Download a program called speccy to get your hard drive model number so you can use the specs for the model to be sure you get the same type of interface. It is a 1.8 inch hard drive.

Iam probably going to trade in the verdict for a verus pro my dealer just got in trade, I am getting old and i need the bigger screen LOL My only concern is if Snap On is going to drop support for the Verus Pro soon. I thing the Snap On software is getting so complex the atop processor has trouble running it well.

Comment

• GypsyR
              • Jul 2017

Late to the party but I have the "file" from mine. Almost 10GB. I bought an adapter do my PC could read the 1.8" drive and copied it to it's own partition. Then copied THAT over to a new SSD, so I know what I have on my PC is good. I'm sure there's a way to turn that 10GB into an image and send it to somebody online. (Not really looking into unless I need to.) That might at least get a Verdict back up with Windows, then Snap On could reload Shopstream and all.

Comment

Working...