X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

J-box info directory

In the past year I bought a brand new Lenova Windows 10 Pro laptop for possible future flashing duty because it was a Pro version , not a Home version. I didn't like the Tile interface , so I installed Start 10, It came with McAffee that I updated and scanned PC as clean. I saw the Browser it came standard with was Microsoft Edge but heard with OE you have to use Internet Explorer. I didn't see any APP for internet Explorer but tapped the Cortana Assistant and said open up Internet Explorer. It opened up Internet Explorer Home page and immediately the AntiVirus program Quarantined something it believed to be a Trojan threat and I didn't even download anything.
    I never plan to have more than one OE program running at one time. What OE programs ( if the other ones are closed down ) are at least found to be ok to store on this same pc without conflicting files , errors ,or corruption?
    What OEs so far can you use windows 10 and will work with other Browsers than Internet Explorer?
    What are the minimum requirements of PC storage ,memory, etc with these OE programs if I have to go find older POS Windows 7 Pro ones someplace if I need more than one laptop?
    Any Updated Quick Reference Charts out there besides just OE website lists ?
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Yes you will need more then one laptop or you will need to get one with a min 2TB hard drive and partition it. Ford, Mazda, Land Rover and Jag should NOT be on the same PC. BMW should be all by itself. Hyundai and Kia should not be on the same PC either unless it is partitioned with each partition having its own OS. But as of the 2018 model year a lot of things are changing. h
    Here to the link to find the specs, prices etc for each manufacturer.

Comment

• tech25
      • Oct 2017

Hello, its possible to have many oem systems on one laptop, but you would have to partition the HDD many times with equal OS for each partition, buts its possible, and i think the best solution... its work, but well worth it.
      here's a list of the makes, and what ones can be together and which ones need their own partition:

1. PORSCHE
      2. JLR
      3. VW
      4. BMW
      5. MERCEDES BENZ PASSTHRU
      6. MERCEDES BENZ PDU
      7. TOYOTA, HONDA, SUBARU, FORD, GM
      8. VOLVO
      9. MAZDA
      10. TECH2WIN

not sure about the other makes, ie. Nissan and such. but these are the ones i know for sure.

hope this helps.

NOTE... I would remove McAffee, windows x has built in protection, and if you downgrade to windows 7 , I recommend security essentials. ( however, if you only use the oem sw, I would say to disable antivirus all together for less bugs )
      Last edited by tech25; 10-13-2017, 12:29 PM. Reason: note regarding antivirus

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Thanks Steve and Tech 25 for the valuable information. It looks like I'm going to just get by downloading one program from an OE manufacturer ,then deleting it all after use after I'm done. I have a Chinese make of J2534 that I've read the thing works ok most of the time for flashing stuff even though most OE's don't want to validate the thing or add it to their lists of supported J-boxdevices.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
          • Apr 2011

Not sure how much you spend on the tool, but I would highly suggest you get a used drew tech tool or even snap on one. Chinese tools will give you problems since they're made with inferior products. Specially if it's a tool you found on a chinese website like alibaba. Not worth the headaches bc you won't know what the problem is when you get an error flashing. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Not sure how much you spend on the tool, but I would highly suggest you get a used drew tech tool or even snap on one. Chinese tools will give you problems since they're made with inferior products. Specially if it's a tool you found on a chinese website like alibaba. Not worth the headaches bc you won't know what the problem is when you get an error flashing. Just my two cents. Good luck!
            I spent $1500 on a slightly used Maxi Cyst Pro that has the newer style Maxi Flash Elite VCI. Just hope it will work to cover me to be able to swap out a salvage yard module on occasion. Call it The March of Technology if you want, but this Ole Curmudgeon thinks this whole J Box thing is a Pay to Play Conspiracy between the OEs and the Tool makers to Shake us down.
            Last edited by Witsend; 10-14-2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...