Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marty mechanic
    • May 2011

The Brick/upgrade the "Diesel Sense"module

Yeah guyz, just a little "wonder"...are there any new "Diesel Sense" cartridges available for my "Brick"? mine goes up to about '98...does Ford Powerstrokes semi ok..
    2.) Anybody wanna bring me into the 21st century? Like sell me sumpin' newer? I got a Vantage too! wow.!
    All ears here... marty mechanic (mobile, roaming tech. ASE CERT School Bus, body, diesel engines)
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Hi Marty,

You're going to need a new scanner. There are no updates available for the brick anymore. The new scanners work pretty darn well on the newer light duty diesels.
    I know new scanners aren't cheap, but if you make your living diagnosing and repairing vehicles, they are part of the cost of doing business.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Bob's Garage
      • Nov 2007

Marty,

Solus Pro. That is what I would recommend. For now....

You can go with a Verus, it can also run other diagnostic software like AE, Techstream etc...

So your brick is way back in 1998? Do not spend another dime on that! Unless you could pick-up the latest software (black cartridges) spend you money on new technology!

The Brick could kept around for OBD2 stuff...

Good Luck, Bob

Comment

• marty mechanic
        • May 2011

The Brick...Diesel Sense upgrade time?

Yeah Joe and Bob, appreciate you weighing in on upgrading my "Brick"..I just needed a couple of Snap On pro's like yourselves to nudge me into the 21st Century.*with Snap On*
        I will definitely keep the "Brick" but look into those two scanners you told me about. Are these units "Stand Alone units or do they need a suitcase full of adaptors?
        2.) One outfit we all know about *not Snap On: Auto Enginuity makes an interesting unit that uses your PC or Blackberry (PC has a huge viewing area) and offers yearly $100 updates.*even if you have a bunch of "enhanced" software for specialized marques like Volvo, or Ford....all of your software is upgraded yearly for..... yup, $100 bucks...whew...come on Snap On!
        I am torn between SO and this outfit because of initial cost and much more user friendly updates and model line upgrades. For instance, AutoEnginuity offers an "Enhanced" software package for each marque that is way impressive $300 bucks for each "marques" enhanced software.
        3.) I am a "newbie" guyz so be easy on me ok?
        Snap On is "sacred" here, so I may be way out of line??

One shop in my town offers me "hand me down" Snap On stuff as they upgrade...so I am always just a little behind the curve, but always very impressed with S.O's engineering and durability!! guess I am ready to piss with the big dogs now! Thanks Bob and Joe, and God Bless you both.

Comment

• marty mechanic
          • May 2011

Saw this Solus Pro on Ebay for 2600/9.2 software

Yeah Joe and Bob....I took yer advice and started looking at those Solus Pro's. Even took the SO try one demo online, on three different vehicles...* it was soooo kool!!
          2.) There is a seller with one on Ebay *but it only has 9.2, software but a European upgrade...bunch of keys, adaptors (many which are in my "brick" suitcase already) made me wonder about how much should I offer cuz of the 9.2 software???
          lemmmee know ok dudes (that's "surfer talk" for brothers)
          sinc. marty mechanic

Comment

• diesel71
            • Feb 2008

marty,
            If you work on alot of light duty diesel like i do you will love the solus pro.
            the newer software is great on the diesels and getting better with every update.

Comment

• marty mechanic
              • May 2011

The Brick...Diesel Sense upgrade time?

This is good news. I wonder how much I could do with 9.2/Solus Pro...found this one on ebay??

Comment

• diesel71
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by marty mechanic
                This is good news. I wonder how much I could do with 9.2/Solus Pro...found this one on ebay??
                9.2 will work good but to get all the new great features you would need to get the latest 11.2, imoa it is well worth the cost,the update will give you functional test/compoent test/troubleshooter tips that are new and up to date. I cant remember how many times troubleshooter has lead me right to the problem and fix.

Comment

• marty mechanic
                  • May 2011

the Brick...Diesel Sense upgrade time?

Yeah Paul, that "Trouble Shooter" section on my old "Brick" is pretty remarkable.....so I know what you mean.
                  2.) Any way to hook up the Solus Pro to Caterpillar engines? Theres a lot of little Cats in f750 Fords and some motor homes and School Buses.? *also International 466DT's.
                  Now that would be sooooo cool!!
                  Lemmee know what your favorite "it saved my*ss" .......moment was with that Solus Pro
                  With my SO "Brick"...it was finding that "Diesel Sense" section on one of my cartridges when I was in the "no hope" mode diagnosing at '97 Ford 7.3. It really came thru for me....I was sweating bullets dude!!

Comment

• diesel71
                    • Feb 2008

marty,
                    I belive you would need a modis with the heavy duty software to look at the bigger cats and 466dt"s or a scanner that uses the 9 pin connector. i have not used this so not mutch help there. I do look at some c4500/c550 gmc"s with the duramax in them and most of the time if i Id them as a cab chassis i can get codes and look at data stream. i use a modis and verus now, been a few years sense i used the solus-pro but it has the same test"s in it.
                    you have a vantage so a solus-pro would be a great partner to that.
                    some of the best things on the light duty diesels are injector cut out tests,turbo test on the 6.0"s,perdel readings on the 99 and up 7.3"s,balance rates for the duramax"s, injector cut-out test for the cummins and you can see accual and desired rail pressure"s the list go"s on.

Comment

• marty mechanic
                      • May 2011

mysterious "black cartridges for SO "Brick".

Bob's Garage mentioned some "Black" cartridges for my old "Brick"....( I know, I am not supposed to think about my old "Brick" anymore).....but my wallet says to look closer to what I got....right now, mommas birthday has the wallet very light at this moment!
                      Anybody wanna "pony up" and sell me a couple of these "gems"?
                      You guys got me totally "jonezing" for the new SO scanners. Wish I hadnt bought that new surfboard now!!
                      2.) Any you guys checked out this little blue, SO "micro scanner"?
                      I really wanna pi** with the "Big Dogs".....oh well!

Comment

Working...