• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vma35
    • Dec 2011

how to...Hi amp probe

Hello,
    Is it ok or possible to use a Hi amp probe on Vantage Pro? (600 amps

if it is so what is the ideal set up? I want to measure how many Amp the starter is pulling up when starting up.

Thanks.
  • eightdancinghammers
    • May 2012

i use my high amp probe on my verus all of the time. i have a cheap 600amp clamp type probe that i use for starter amperage on a regular basis. on my probe it indicates that 1mV = 1amp. i set my scale to 500mV, put the probe on the battery cable and crank. you can use positive or negative battery cable as long as the arrow on the probe points in the direction of current flow ( away from battery on positive, towards battery on negative).

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

If you've got a battery test Carbon Pile (which will have an ammeter in it) and a voltmeter, that's all you need.

Comment

• vma35
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Crusty
        If you've got a battery test Carbon Pile (which will have an ammeter in it) and a voltmeter, that's all you need.
        Yeah Yeah my friend I understand that but... as I said... using the VantagePro... How can I...

I want to measure how many Amp the starter is pulling up when starting up?

Thanks "eightdancinghammers†so yes I can use it... got it.

Comment

• ArmyTech
          • Dec 2013

High Amp Clamp

I am trying to find an affordable amp clamp that will enable me to do starter draw, comparative compression and the like. I've heard that the Westward 6JG57 is okay, but it has been discontinued. Any ideas?
          Last edited by ArmyTech; 06-30-2014, 03:23 PM. Reason: Missing words

Comment

• crackerclicker
            • May 2008

Originally posted by ArmyTech
            I am trying to find an affordable amp clamp that will enable me to do starter draw, comparative compression and the like. I've heard that the Westward 6JG57 is okay, but it has been discontinued. Any ideas?
            I have a spare ES brand High Amp probe with the banana jacks for a Vantage Pro I'll sell ya for $78 plus shipping (probably under $10).
            Attached Files

Comment

• dlm1
              • Jul 2014

hmm..that probe still available?

Comment

• crackerclicker
                • May 2008

Originally posted by dlm1
                hmm..that probe still available?
                Yep. If you're interested send me a PM.

Comment

• dlm1
                  • Jul 2014

Sorry, money burning a hole in my pocket..Did not get your response till late.Ran across a shootout on some site regarding the probes and decided to pick up a Fluke 801-1010, My 87 and 88 meters have always been truthful to me.

Comment

• crackerclicker
                    • May 2008

No problem, dlm1. This one is just an extra, so I'm not in any hurry to unload it.

Comment

Working...