X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KBATN
    • Jul 2017

Modis 16.2 or modis ultra 14.2

Well i think the title says it all..

I am looking for a scanner and scope with bi directional controls. The cars i own are a 98mustang cobra, 95f250 and 94 corvette. So i need to be able to use it on my cars. I also work on cars on the side. Mostly ford and gm. newest so far was a car/truck was 2012. I wont be using this every day. So not sure which route 2 take.

I found 2 different modis for the same price $1250 Modis 16.2 and modis ultra 14.2. I dont see myself working on anything newer than 2012 or even 13 for a very long time and not looking to spend another 1200 on updates right now.. Any imput would be nice.. Thanks
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

It's a tough call. You can no longer update or send out an original Modis for repairs any longer because it is no longer supported with updates, parts or repairs.The Older original Modis is slower, glitchier and requires lots of personality keys, heavier, and bulkier than the Modis Ultra , but has a 4 channel scope versus the Modus Ultra 2 channel set up, and the Modis Ultra might still be supported for repairs, parts, and updates a few more years, but just the update software for one is over $1200 and you find you rarely scope can get a new Maxi Sheist 906 Chinaman scanner that is keyless includes European software and The Funk adapters for less than updating. They do offer more special functions listed but no they don't always work 95 percent of the time lke Snappy . Seems more of hit or miss proposition and if you are someone that is older with a higher risk of Strokin Out when Sh@t don't always work the way you expect , then it's best you buy the Modis Ultra if it works and the seller and unit serial # check out.

Comment

• JamesO
      • Dec 2014

Keep in mind 2 of your cars are older than 1996 and therefore would likely be OBDI not OBDII.

The 1994 Corvette might? be sporting a hybrid OBDI/OBDII as some of the Corvette platforms were slightly ahead of everything else.

I am not sure I would jump on the MODIS unless you know what you are getting.

I understand the need for Bi-directional support at times, but it almost always seems like when you really need Bi-directional support there are issues with limited support!

The majority of problems are Driveability and a generic OBDII App with interface for under $30 will do everything OBDII related.

While this is a Snap-On forum, I would advise to look at something like the Solus Ultra if you could find a good price on one.

In order to start out, I would consider something like a Launch CRP129 which even new are around $250, typically have Free updates and while not a True-Bi-directional tools, they support OBDII, Airbags, ABS and EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) and will often read more in depth manufacturer proprietary codes for the ECU and Transmission.

Start slow, you will be able to repair a lot with something like the Launch tool without Bi-directional control or support. I would guess that I typically need or could use Bi-directional support only 1 in 20 or 1 in 10 repairs. Most of the time I can live without the more advanced support and control and still get things fixed.

Comment

• KBATN
        • Jul 2017

bought the modis 16.2.

I already have a cheap Actron scanner but there were a couple times I hit a brick wall and had to call my buddy and have him bring over his employers snap on scanner.

He no longer works there since the owner retired. So i am on my own with my personal fleet and family/friends and friends of friends cars.

Edit: yes two of my cars are OBD1 and is supported by snap on. Autel was an option but only goes down to 1998

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

16.2 is pretty recent update about a year old. I Imagine you probably got coverage for some 2015 cars and possibly even has programming capability for some Ford PATS keys. Just Curious, Is the Sure Trak Trouble Shooter guided diagnostic part of the software still accessible from within the software and usable forever or something that just times out after the following update release or now just accessed by WIFI and or dependent on a internet connection through SSC program on a PC? On your Modis with one year old 16.2 update , if you wish to go to component testing with the scope, does it still show the connector views and give you some some guiding advice to test the components, or is that valuable feature timed out and contingent on having current update now?
          Last edited by Witsend; 07-22-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...