X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtBee
    • Apr 2015

Vantage Pro Ignition Scope, Dist. Ign Question

Hello there.

I have a Vantage Pro and I want to use the ignition scope feature. I specialize in 1960's American muscle cars and plan on using it on V8 cars with distributor/plug wire ignitions ... also early GM HEI distributors. I've asked my dealer and he has no idea what to purchase and the Snap On catalog gets a little confusing. Question is ... what do I need to buy in order to use the feature and view all cylinders at the same time.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out!
    Regards!
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

This should get you up to speed:

EETM309W

seen here:

There are other components also, to expand with, but this will handle most of your needs as-is.
    S. Breland

Comment

• hefaus
      • Dec 2007

Hei

Originally posted by ArtBee
      Hello there.

I have a Vantage Pro and I want to use the ignition scope feature. I specialize in 1960's American muscle cars and plan on using it on V8 cars with distributor/plug wire ignitions ... also early GM HEI distributors. I've asked my dealer and he has no idea what to purchase and the Snap On catalog gets a little confusing. Question is ... what do I need to buy in order to use the feature and view all cylinders at the same time.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out!
      Regards!
      Hi you will also need a HEI distributor adapter to read secondary from the cap. EETM306A06. I had a Vantage Pro and used it on most all distributor type vehicles. To get good at it I made myself an Ignition system with wires plugs and distributor and coil where needed.Used a variable speed drill to spin the dist which was hooked up to a portable battery as a power source.Was a fantastic way of getting all types of problems to happen and the settings as well. Enjoy your Lab scope they are fun...

Comment

• ArtBee
        • Apr 2015

SBRELAND73 and HEFAUS

Sbreland73 ... so this will allow me to see all eight cylinders at the same time? And if not, then what else should I purchase?

Hefaus ... Yea, the HEI clip seems to a lot easier to figure out. Great idea on making a bench system to learn from ... eh.

Thanks you two for your response, I greatly appreciate it as my dealer hasn't been much help. I've had the Vantage Pro for seven years and have only used the component testing, low amp probe and graphing meter.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

• Modis500
          • Sep 2012

Check out the SIA 2000. Can watch up to 8 live feeds using this on secondary ignition. Pricy, but neat to to see them all firing in order.
          "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
          Zig Ziglar

Comment

• hefaus
            • Dec 2007

All 8 cylinders

Originally posted by ArtBee
            Sbreland73 ... so this will allow me to see all eight cylinders at the same time? And if not, then what else should I purchase?

Hefaus ... Yea, the HEI clip seems to a lot easier to figure out. Great idea on making a bench system to learn from ... eh.

Thanks you two for your response, I greatly appreciate it as my dealer hasn't been much help. I've had the Vantage Pro for seven years and have only used the component testing, low amp probe and graphing meter.

Thanks again guys!
            Yes it will allow you all 8 cylinders but it has to be hooked up to number 1 cyl in the firing order with the induction clamp as well that is in the one on the first comment.You can get primary patterns just like and old type scope as well as secondary patterns. Yes I learned the most from my bench system as I could create many problems with this test unit...i really enjoyed doing the older stuff just like me..lol..Enjoy Austin

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
              Snap-on D&I
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Modis500
              Check out the SIA 2000. Can watch up to 8 live feeds using this on secondary ignition. Pricy, but neat to to see them all firing in order.
              The SIA 2000 ignition adapter is mainly used for connection to each plug wire on waste spark ignition systems.
              When it is used, the scope will display the power and waste firings on separate traces.
              For connection to distributor ignitions with an external ignition coil, the kit sbreland linked is used. If it is a GM HEI distributor, then the Coil In Cap pickup hefaus mentioned is used in place of the pickup that connects to the coil wire from the kit mentioned.

All of the accessories can be seen on this site if select the link at the top of this forum screen "Diagnostic Platforms".
              The Vantage Pro is not listed, but the ignition accessories in the scope accessories section of the Verus Pro apply to Vantage Pro.

Comment

• ArtBee
                • Apr 2015

Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your help ... I greatly appreciate it !! I have just ordered those two part numbers and will play with it when I receive them.

Regards Art

Comment

• David Green
                  • Oct 2009

You might also be interested in;

Automotive diagnostic equipment sales and support for professional automotive technicians, schools, instructors, and trainers. Services include custom manufacturing and product development.

Comment

Working...