Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ephratah service center
    • Oct 2007

pressure transducer

I am looking to get into using a pressure transducer for diagnostic would like to learn to check valve timing and compression what are your thoughts on the 500 psi transducer from snappy. What cables are needed to start using it/ I see a company that makes one for PC.

Any recommendation from the experts on here?
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

What are you using for a scope ?

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

To use with a Vantage Ultra, Verdict or Modis Ultra you will need the EEMS324PSA adapter to power the transducer. I think that this would include the Vantage Pro as well.

Comment

• Oct 2007

using vantage pro with 11.4 update

Comment

• Oct 2007

some guy on ebay has this kit will it work with the vantage pro

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Just for comparison, here's the page for the SnapOn Vantage-Pro accessories

There are 35 items listed on 4 pages.
            There are several pieces to put together. From what I can gather, you need a "split lead adaptor" to use any pressure transducer (last page I think) and SnapOn has three transducers, 100, 500 & 5000 (on the second or third page)
            There is also a "Y" adaptor if you want to hook up more than one transducer.

I too would like to hear from the experienced SnapOn transducer users. GreasyBob is just one of the knowledgeable guys (and I read every one of his posts)

Comment

• Oct 2007

Thanks Crusty I am waiting for Bob to chime in again.

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

If the Vantage Pro has the auxiliary connector like the Verus and old Modis scope have then you won't need the EEMS324PSA adapter. But you will still need the split lead adapter. With the old Vantage you could plug the transducer cable directly into the tool. As far as using a transducer for compression testing it works ok. The closer you can get the transducer to the cylinder the better. A long or poor quality hose will buffer the pressure and readings won't be as accurate.

Comment

• landroverman1958
                  • Feb 2010

pressure readings

Hi everyone,your Welsh correspondent here,i hope were all good,it,s a sunny day in Wales-which is not all that usual,do many of you take pressure wave forms of Diesel compressions?I have looked on line in various sources and there does,nt seem to very much infomation out there,every one does relative compression wave forms but no in cylinder waveforms?
                  I have taken some off a 2008 landrover defender with the 2.4tdci engine fitted which is the engine ford fit to the transit in this country,
                  I will be interested to see your replies,

Comment

• Oct 2007

Greasybob what is the spliter cable for? Here is a pic he has of it hooked up. my vantage does have the aux cable option.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ephratah service center; 04-23-2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

The splitter cable provides power and ground to the transducer from the auxiliary port and is necessary if using the Snap On transducer. The transducer cable plugs into the splitter. The Ebay kit shown looks like the transducer cable and auxiliary cable are all one piece. The Vantage Ultra has no auxiliary port so the EEMS324PSA adapter is necessary for power and ground. It uses a 9 volt battery.

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

As far as diesel compression testing goes I have almost always used relative compression tests with a low/high amp probe. I think one time I did a test with transducer on 7.3 F350 but can't find the file right now. I don't think I made a copy and it stayed on my old Verus.

Comment

• landroverman1958
                          • Feb 2010

pressure readings

Yup thats the point,of my comment no one carries them out,or keeps them,i had diagnose a fault with an ford 2.4tdci and wanted to see if anything could be shown to be incorrect by using a pressure wave form,because of lack of dissassembly of the engine,the wave forms taken look different to a petrol engine by some way,

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

Bob is right, least invasive relative compression testing would be about all I would do . What if your curiosity kills the Cat if you bust off a Glow Plug or something just to play with your new diagnostic toy and then you'll be pulling a head for nothing.

Comment

• landroverman1958
                              • Feb 2010

pressure readings

Well i did wonder when i would get a reply from the witsend,the engine in question had suspected terminal internal damage,suspected split piston,or big end failure or small end damage,so is there a way to determine which is the correct daignosis without disassembling the engine,using a pressure transducer,
                              the daignostic tool has been used for several years a daignostic aid not as a play station,but i,m sure there are some that carry out such procedures,

Comment

Working...