• Show
Clear All
  • redbaron
    • Jul 2012

Baum c.o.p. adaptor set?

Hi guys, first post here. Yep.
    So, Wondering if anybody out there has successfully used a Baum tools
    B127040 DIS clip set with their Modis?
    Ive got access to the Baum set, like to use it versus buying the actual Snapon flags or otherwise.
    Anybody?
    Much appreciated, thanks
    Dave
  • Rich Shepherd
    Snap-on D&I
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by redbaron
    Hi guys, first post here. Yep.
    So, Wondering if anybody out there has successfully used a Baum tools
    B127040 DIS clip set with their Modis?
    Ive got access to the Baum set, like to use it versus buying the actual Snapon flags or otherwise.
    Anybody?
    Much appreciated, thanks
    Dave
    I haven't used those clips but had used some Bosch clips years back that looked very similar. Maybe someone that has used them can comment.
    You should be able to get a good pattern with them on the BMW's.
    I looked at them on the Baum site and the connecting harness that comes with them appears to use banana plugs so it would plug in to the Modis scope. Even if it used BNC connectors, BNC to Banana adapters can be found.
    Do you intend to use the clips on BMW applications the kit lists or in general on other cars?
    If you use them on other cars, you will likely find they will work ok on some and not very good or at all on others. That will mainly depend on if the pickup can be placed on a location on the coil where it will be able to detect secondary voltage.
    Since you have them available, why don't you give them a try? It would be best if possible to start on a vehicle they are specifically designed for to see how they work before experimenting with others. In any event, Select Ignition probe for the lead when you use them and see what signal level you get.
    It would be best to first connect to one cylinder and use the Single Cylinder Ignition scope selection to see what kind of signal level you get. If it is at least in the 2-5 kv range, you can connect to all cyls and use Ignition scope. I suspect you will see a signal of good strength if they are used on one of the listed BMW applications. When using Ignition scope, set the trigger sensitivity threshold to the average spark voltage for best overall results to start with.

Comment

• redbaron
      • Jul 2012

Thank you Rich for your reply!

Your thought process pretty much follows mine on this- Im in a BMW only shop, and that's the primary line I was looking at. Im hoping to "slay a few more dragons" as it were, with a few of our regular trouble vehicles.

I see what you're saying about the baum connections- basically a set of clips with jumper wires- kinda neanderthal, when you compare them with the nice insulated cop/cic snap on adapters.

Now, Im gonna admit here I havent cracked the manuals yet, but Ive had a vantage and vantage pro for over a decade.

So, hoping you can help me cheat here- are you refering to the standard yellow/black channel 1 lead here, and following the ignition prompts, or are you refering to the coil wire style secondary clip?

Either way, thanks again for the info and encouragement here!

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
        Snap-on D&I
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by redbaron
        Now, Im gonna admit here I havent cracked the manuals yet, but Ive had a vantage and vantage pro for over a decade.

So, hoping you can help me cheat here- are you refering to the standard yellow/black channel 1 lead here, and following the ignition prompts, or are you refering to the coil wire style secondary clip?
        If you use the Baum lead and clips, plug the lead into Ch1.
        On ch1, select Ignition Probe instead of Test Lead. If you go into Single cylinder Ignition scope or Ignition scope, Ignition Probe is the default. When Ignition Probe is selected, the scope will be scaled in kv instead of volts.
        If you go into Lab scope, you will have to select Ignition probe for the lead being used. Test lead (the lab scope lead) is the default in lab scope, but it will remember what ever selection you make.

Comment

• redbaron
          • Jul 2012

Rich, thank you very much!

Im going to follow your lead here, I'll report back on the results!

Of course, Im now inspired to start posting waveforms to the database, as the BMW section is a blank canvas, so more homework for me.....

I will say it again, you rock sir!! Im in the process of actually getting into the manuals, maybe I can actually look like I know what Im doing soon here...

Take care!

Comment

Working...