Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbebenelli
    • May 2007

Shunt AMPS Port

With the new Vantage Ultra coming out I see people complaining it has no shunt AMPS port.

I've had my Vantage pro for years and have never used that port. I always use an AMPS probe. What am I missing out and how do I use the AMPS port?
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

You use the Amps port just like you would on any multimeter. You place it in series with the circuit you want to measure the current on. It is awesome for parasitic draw, and just about any other thing you need a precise amperage reading on. Amp clamps come with a much greater margin of error than when you measure shunt amps.
    It also saves me from having to find jumper wires when I check fuel pump current by jumping the relay.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• sbebenelli
      • May 2007

Thank you for the info.

If it's the same as the multimeter why do you think people are acting like they can't live without it on the vantage ultra?

I'm just curious.

My Snap On guy left a Vantage Ultra with me last week to try out and he offered me what I feel is a good trade on my Pro so I'm trying to decide if it's smart to go with the Ultra or not. The Ultra really doesn't do anything the Pro can't to. The only benefit I see and like is the bigger screen.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

If it's the same as the multimeter why do you think people are acting like they can't live without it on the vantage ultra?

Probably for 2 reasons. 1) Some have stated that it doesn't make sense for a new product to not do everything that the older product does. From Snap-on's point of view they probably believe they reduced the cost by removing an expensive feature that few people used, like secondary ignition.
        2) It is nice to be able to graph shunt amps, and you can't do that with a regular multimeter.
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• sbebenelli
          • May 2007

OK thank you.

One thing I do miss that the Ultra does not have is the hook to hang it. I always used the hook while under a vehicle and sometimes under the hood.

Comment

• longhungsilver
            • Oct 2013

Yah the hook is great and shunt amps is even better. I wouldn't upgrade my pro if that feature wasn't on ultra

Comment

• Modis500
              • Sep 2012

What's the max amp rating for the amp jack on the Pro's? Honestly I've never used it,but now I'm going to try it on my next fuel pump Diag.
              "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
              Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
                What's the max amp rating for the amp jack on the Pro's? Honestly I've never used it,but now I'm going to try it on my next fuel pump Diag.
                10 amps I believe - protected by an automotive type fuse
                You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• DrTranny
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by sbebenelli
                  With the new Vantage Ultra coming out I see people complaining it has no shunt AMPS port.

I've had my Vantage pro for years and have never used that port. I always use an AMPS probe. What am I missing out and how do I use the AMPS port?
                  This might be a late post, but I uploaded a video not too long about solenoid testing and I used this port for my testing method. Hope this helps.

Comment

• maven
                    • Mar 2014

The margin of error argument for shunt versus hall effect amperage measurement is relatively weak in my opinion in our applications (automotive/12v)

Theres minimal electromagnetic interference involved in the circuits we typically deal with(emi being the "downfall" of hall effect clamps that naysayers talk about) and the accuracy of the shunt in the VP and the EETA308D is the same...and amongst most of the typical high quality (Fluke,Extech,Flir,Klein,etc) there is typically less than 1% difference in accuracy between shunt and clamp.

Not too mention how widespread clamp use is amongst other professions that deal with more complex or critical circuits and the fact that often disconnecting a circuit to install a shunt amp measuring device eliminates or changes the problem a tech is trying to diagnose and I see no reason to feel cheated about not having an amp shunt

. I can't remember the last time I used my DVOM or scope amp shunt to diagnose a problem. My go to for quick fuel pump diag , and parasitic draw testing is my Midtronics PDF40 these days.

Comment

• DrDiesel1
                      • Feb 2014

The only problem with an amp clamp used with parasitic draw is the ability to read down past 35 m/v.

The VP will read down to 1 m/v.

The crummy snap on amp clamp only reads down to 500 m/v

Comment

Working...