Vantage Ultra and Vantage Pro same price?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Vantage Ultra and Vantage Pro same price?

I dumped my old 6.4 Solus, DRB 2 , and Super Star II, for about $800 and just kept an old MT2500 with European up to 2005 to cover all that's old , and bought a DS 708 on Amazon back in August for $1250 and have to agree the graphing kind of sucks on it and I was leaning towards eventually getting a 4 channel Pico Scope , but I'm thinking it's maybe overkill on the budget like buying a smoke machine when you could just buy a lot of cheap cigars.
    Being a Bonified bottom feeder I am looking at a Vantage Pro on Craigslist for about a grand but would kick myself in the *** if I bought it and then had to update a used POS and Snap On decides to clear out remaining Vantage Pro's at less than half price to make way for the new Vantage Ultras. Decisions, decisions?
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
    I dumped my old 6.4 Solus, DRB 2 , and Super Star II, for about $800 and just kept an old MT2500 with European up to 2005 to cover all that's old , and bought a DS 708 on Amazon back in August for $1250 and have to agree the graphing kind of sucks on it and I was leaning towards eventually getting a 4 channel Pico Scope , but I'm thinking it's maybe overkill on the budget like buying a smoke machine when you could just buy a lot of cheap cigars.
    Being a Bonified bottom feeder I am looking at a Vantage Pro on Craigslist for about a grand but would kick myself in the *** if I bought it and then had to update a used POS and Snap On decides to clear out remaining Vantage Pro's at less than half price to make way for the new Vantage Ultras. Decisions, decisions?
    There's nothing wrong with grabbing a Vantage-PRO.
    The Solus-PRO has some definite advantages over the Solus-ULtra scan tool.
    The Vantage-PRO, while only being 2 channels is 98% of the time all I NEED for checking and verifying signals. I have made use of scopes of one kind or another for decades.
    A basic RELIABLE tool is better than an unreliable one with fancy-schmancy bells and whistles......
    Kinda like fishing tackle....MOST of it is designed to catch the fisherman....

Comment

• SPS10.4
      • Aug 2012

DS 708 on Amazon back in August for $1250 and have to agree the graphing kind of sucks
      I would be frustrated beyond belief using a 708 for graphing driveability concerns. I'm quite taken with the graphing capabilities and data management/transfer of my Solus Pro.

I am looking at a Vantage Pro on Craigslist for about a grand
      My current analysis on the market value of a used Vantage Pro indicates a grand should buy a clean unit with no issues. Accept nothing less than 10.4 software or higher. Possibly even a low amp probe included for that price. However, I'm not seeing a flood of Pros yet, so there may be a sellers' market for a while. The Vantage Pro is a worthy investment at any reasonable price.

Snap On decides to clear out remaining Vantage Pro's at less than half price to make way for the new Vantage Ultras. Decisions, decisions?
      Do you have a reason to believe this could happen? At what level of the distribution chain would this occur? New Pro unit on the truck?

Comment

• SPS10.4
        • Aug 2012

Right On

Originally posted by Crusty
        A basic RELIABLE tool is better than an unreliable one with fancy-schmancy bells and whistles......
        Truer words have never been spoken.

Kinda like fishing tackle....MOST of it is designed to catch the fisherman....
        For those that are attracted to the latest platforms, there's a real chance of being foul hooked

Comment

• maven
          • Mar 2014

I own a shiny new ModisUltra,a Fluke 98 and various DMMs/insulation meters, and if a VantagePro popped up in my area for <$1000 with reasonably new software and was in nice shape I wouldnt hesitate to buy it. The VP is a really nice piece and is far from obsolete, well worth the investment. Far less cumbersome and with a much easier leanign curve than the PICO

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by maven
            I own a shiny new ModisUltra,a Fluke 98 and various DMMs/insulation meters, and if a VantagePro popped up in my area for <$1000 with reasonably new software and was in nice shape I wouldnt hesitate to buy it. The VP is a really nice piece and is far from obsolete, well worth the investment. Far less cumbersome and with a much easier leanign curve than the PICO
            There is another BIG ADVANTAGE to having a Vantage-Pro, and a Solus-Pro, And a Solus-Ultra and a Modis, etc.
            The fact that SHOPSTREAM-CONNECT (SSC) can allow us to save screen shots and movies of various kinds to review later, even much later, in a standard format so we have documented Known-Good and Known-Bad and baseline recordings that we can use for comparison anytime we want to.
            A standard program that can read any number of movies created by the common manufacturers various platforms.

Comment

• Modis500
              • Sep 2012

I'll agree with all the guys that replied to your original post. I love the Vantage Pro, especially for its ease of use and rugged build. Once you master it, there's no use to update it other than the vehicle wiring layouts. And as for the Solus Pro, I didn't own one until Crusty bragged it up, and I haven't been without one since. I just picked up an extremely clean one from a guy that traded it in on a Chinese scan tool. $600 later and I've got two in my arsenal and that poor fella is going to wish he had kept his Pro!!'
              "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
              Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
                I'll agree with all the guys that replied to your original post. I love the Vantage Pro, especially for its ease of use and rugged build. Once you master it, there's no use to update it other than the vehicle wiring layouts. And as for the Solus Pro, I didn't own one until Crusty bragged it up, and I haven't been without one since. I just picked up an extremely clean one from a guy that traded it in on a Chinese scan tool. $600 later and I've got two in my arsenal and that poor fella is going to wish he had kept his Pro!!'
                I hope they don't ignore the Vantage-PRO and the Solus-PRO with their development. They're basically reliable units. Reliability and accuracy are far more important than the bells and whistles such as touch screens and wireless.
                Make the tools function correctly FIRST-!! Then add the glitz and glamour later.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Vantage Ultra and Vantage Pro same list price

Thanks for all the positive input about the Vantage Pro and The Solus Pro being good tools. The Vantage Pro on Craigslist is being listed by a pawn shop and neither picture shown in ad shows it powered up.Could even been a stolen or on a SO Credit's Repo list, who knows. Maybe Snap On could offer a quick serial number inquiry entry search bar that would show a red dot if the unit serial number is listed as a reported stolen unit or very delinquent account and a yellow dot if there is a balance still owed on unit but not necessarily reported as delinquent yet .
                  I'm sure any new platform has it's teething problems initially , but eventually it's out with the old and in with the new and the Vantage Ultra looks like a clear winner unless the Pro is steeply discounted to offset the wow factor

Comment

• Speedybon
                    • Jan 2012

What about the Vantage Pro Batteries?

One thing to consider is the batteries, you will find that the they will probably be weak with short run time. If I was thinking about purchasing a Pro you might want to ask? I traded my pro for a Ultra and the jury is still out. It freezes intermittently and I am waiting for a fix.

Comment

• SPS10.4
                      • Aug 2012

Good point Speedybon

Anyone purchasing a used Vantage Pro should factor in the cost of a new battery. I would not consider it a deal breaker if the included battery will not hold a charge.

The original battery in my Solus Pro was low when I bought it, but it charged within 4 hours and I've only had to charge it two times in two years. But, that scanner does not see much standby time. Either it's hooked to a DLC or it's off. I'll bet if I put it in the Vantage, it would not last long.

Comment

• Crusty
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by SPS10.4
                        Anyone purchasing a used Vantage Pro should factor in the cost of a new battery. I would not consider it a deal breaker if the included battery will not hold a charge.

The original battery in my Solus Pro was low when I bought it, but it charged within 4 hours and I've only had to charge it two times in two years. But, that scanner does not see much standby time. Either it's hooked to a DLC or it's off. I'll bet if I put it in the Vantage, it would not last long.
                        You just pointed out another good thing about the Vantage-PRO and the Solus-PRO which I had overlooked and forgotten about. They take the same battery pack. Swap-able. A STANDARD COMPONENT for both machines that SnapOn SHOULD have continued in concept for other pieces of kit.

There are a few cables that can be interchanged between SnapOn machines but about the only thing standardized across virtually all the SnapOn product lineup is SSC (Shop Stream Connect). You can save screen shots, lab-scope movies and data-stream movies from any number of machines and view them in a STANDARD PROGRAM and you can even email these files to another person for a second opinion. I'm really glad Rich and his crew have kept SSC current. Thanks Rich.

Comment

• maven
                          • Mar 2014

You just pointed out another good thing about the Vantage-PRO and the Solus-PRO which I had overlooked and forgotten about. They take the same battery pack. Swap-able. A STANDARD COMPONENT for both machines that SnapOn SHOULD have continued in concept for other pieces of kit.
                          There is a common battery in the Ultra machines (Modis/Solus/Vantage).

Comment

• Crusty
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by maven
                            There is a common battery in the Ultra machines (Modis/Solus/Vantage).
                            Well THAT'S good to know. I have a Solus-Ultra but not a Modis-Ultra or a Vantage-Ultra.
                            Havn't had any issues with the Solus-Ultra battery so I hadn't peeked.
                            Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

Vantage Pro no longer available on Snap On Web site?

Less than a month ago the Vantage Pro had the same list price posted as the New Vantage Ultra of $2795, and thought that I would soon see a Clearance priced Vantage Pro . I noticed that the Vantage Pro picture is now displayed with a $N/A USD price, and figured if I clicked add to cart it would then reveal a clearance price , but after clicking it showed 0 item in cart. So it appears to me Vantage Pros are no longer available from the web site. Who knows Maybe be back in in a few months priced at $999.99 cast in Blue plastic and sold as a Blue Point tester without guided component diagnostics?

Comment

Working...