Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manic Mechanic
    • Aug 2008

Snap On should recall all VERUS's

I've had my VERUS for about two months now, I have call tech assist numerous times, I've done a re-image twice , Firmware updates five times, Out of all the drivability problem vehicles I've worked on the VERUS will not work on the majority of them and they all fall in the span that Snap On states are covered vehicles 1980 to current, Evidently many Jeeps , Many Mitsubishi, 07 or better Sprinters do not fall under what they cover , I'm still on the trail of what the VERUS dose not work on ......
    Manic Mechanic
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Manic Mechanic
    I've had my VERUS for about two months now, I have call tech assist numerous times, I've done a re-image twice , Firmware updates five times, Out of all the drivability problem vehicles I've worked on the VERUS will not work on the majority of them and they all fall in the span that Snap On states are covered vehicles 1980 to current, Evidently many Jeeps , Many Mitsubishi, 07 or better Sprinters do not fall under what they cover , I'm still on the trail of what the VERUS dose not work on ......
    Put tech assist on speed dial or you'll wear your finders out. Last year I knew the number by memory. Software not working where it is claimed to function doesn't surprise me.
    And no, you're not the only one experiencing the problems you report...that's management 101.
    Several software releases later & the same issues will probably be there still.
    "Tell me no lies-!!!"
    DITTO
    EXACTLY
    I AGREE.
    And I hope the ears at SO are hearing this. There are lots of guys who will agree but just don't speak up.
    I'm not poking them in the ear to be nasty, just to get them to correct what isn't right.

Comment

• Sparkey
      • Nov 2008

I have used 3 different Verus machines, the 1st one was a Demo used by countless people ahead of me, it almost turned me off from Verus machines all together, it was a HUGE piece of junk! I couldn't believe their where trying to sell this machine for 10k and I couldn't believe anyone would ever want one. Then they ordered me a new one in to try, it was great, it was twice the machine I though it would have been. However, it was during the Christmas vacation and I wanted to wait a little longer before making up my mind because their was some issues with the Verus software and I wanted to see if the SR2 update was going to take care of them and beside another person wanted it, so I let them have it after using it for nearly 2 weeks. I have had this 3rd new Verus for about 3 to 4 weeks now and it does have the SR1/SR2 updates and many other software packages used on our main shop computer and I have used it a many different cars/trucks now and I wouldn't sell this Verus to anyone! The Modis, imo, is a great tool but after using this Verus there is NOTHING I would rather be using!

Comment

• joenash
        • Jan 2009

recall no rebate

I think the verus is a powerfull machine and something they are unfortunatly letting the cumsumer, just like the car industry, test out, that is why they have TSB's for cars and sr2 for snap on. I am like you I would not want to trade it for another scanner now that I have it, even when I do not use it to its fullest it has more capabilites than a regular scanner, customer worksheets , you can save stuff easer and print stuff, it is just way better being a bigger screen and touch screen.
        I just think that the things Snap On does is not fair to their customers.
        We have paid a lot for a peice of equipment and when you call customer support they don't have verus listed as a option you have to press modis, and they don't even know what is going on, I called the other day and asked about 9.2 cause I got a registration card when I purchased my verus to get a free software update and they don't even know, they say I have to talk to my snap on dealer, whell, he was the one who told me to call them!
        Also the other thing that burns me is now on their site it says you can get a $1500 rebate when you use your ec account, well how do you think I bought the thing I put it on my ec account, now you are going to give new purchases a discount. granted I did not pay full boat for the verus cause I traded in my solus and vantage, but if you figure it out I paid more cause of the cost of the other equipment.
        It would be nice to see some more FREE sr updates to fix any bugs and at least one software update so I can be up to date and fix some cars, I mean if you figure it out with the trade in it probably cost $12 or $13 grand.
        My BIGGEST gripe is TRAINING the web based traing is nice BUT! you can not ask questions and touch it and feel it and see it, Come on we are a hands on type of business, It gets me mad cause when I ask someone they just say are you having a problem, no that is not the point I just want to know how to use the darn thing that just cost me an arm and a leg. It is like when the customers call you on the phone and say my car is doing this, what is it, well they still have to bring it to the shop to fix I have not learned to fix a car over the phone.
        I mean I have learned a lot from these fourms and I am sure others have too. But if we knew how to use our verus scanners I think we would see more positive feedback about them cause I think they are probably one of the best products out their.
        Well I don't know what else to say their tools cost more than anyboby else ! in short better customer support!!!!
        JOENASH

Comment

• phill57
          • Oct 2007

Verus and Ford IDS

Originally posted by Sparkey
          I have used 3 different Verus machines, the 1st one was a Demo used by countless people ahead of me, it almost turned me off from Verus machines all together, it was a HUGE piece of junk! I couldn't believe their where trying to sell this machine for 10k and I couldn't believe anyone would ever want one. Then they ordered me a new one in to try, it was great, it was twice the machine I though it would have been. However, it was during the Christmas vacation and I wanted to wait a little longer before making up my mind because their was some issues with the Verus software and I wanted to see if the SR2 update was going to take care of them and beside another person wanted it, so I let them have it after using it for nearly 2 weeks. I have had this 3rd new Verus for about 3 to 4 weeks now and it does have the SR1/SR2 updates and many other software packages used on our main shop computer and I have used it a many different cars/trucks now and I wouldn't sell this Verus to anyone! The Modis, imo, is a great tool but after using this Verus there is NOTHING I would rather be using!

I agree! It is a geat tool and will only get better. I think one of the problems we/they have is that we expect much more from these type of tools today. As we get experience using other tools and OEM capabilities we want more features in our tools. Additionally we are potentially dealing with almost 30 years of electronic engine controls let alone all the other controllers to boot.

Comment

• phill57
            • Oct 2007

No Verus option on customer support

Originally posted by joenash
            I think the verus is a powerfull machine and something they are unfortunatly letting the cumsumer, just like the car industry, test out, that is why they have TSB's for cars and sr2 for snap on. I am like you I would not want to trade it for another scanner now that I have it, even when I do not use it to its fullest it has more capabilites than a regular scanner, customer worksheets , you can save stuff easer and print stuff, it is just way better being a bigger screen and touch screen.

16 graphs is fantastic and I thought 8 was great with the Modis. I went back to the Solus Pro the other day with only 4 graphs and it was a huge disadvantage.

We have paid a lot for a peice of equipment and when you call customer support they don't have verus listed as a option you have to press modis, and they don't even know what is going on, I called the other day and asked about 9.2 cause I got a registration card when I purchased my verus to get a free software update and they don't even know, they say I have to talk to my snap on dealer, whell, he was the one who told me to call them!
            Also the other thing that burns me is now on their site it says you can get a $1500 rebate when you use your ec account, well how do you think I bought the thing I put it on my ec account, now you are going to give new purchases a discount. granted I did not pay full boat for the verus cause I traded in my solus and vantage, but if you figure it out I paid more cause of the cost of the other equipment.
            It would be nice to see some more FREE sr updates to fix any bugs and at least one software update so I can be up to date and fix some cars, I mean if you figure it out with the trade in it probably cost $12 or $13 grand.

It will be interesting to see waht happens with the 9.2 update. I suspect that they will update the coverage and leave the features and functions the same. Probably leave that to future service releases. That would make sense to me anyays.

My BIGGEST gripe is TRAINING the web based traing is nice BUT! you can not ask questions and touch it and feel it and see it, Come on we are a hands on type of business, It gets me mad cause when I ask someone they just say are you having a problem, no that is not the point I just want to know how to use the darn thing that just cost me an arm and a leg. It is like when the customers call you on the phone and say my car is doing this, what is it, well they still have to bring it to the shop to fix I have not learned to fix a car over the phone.
            I mean I have learned a lot from these fourms and I am sure others have too. But if we knew how to use our verus scanners I think we would see more positive feedback about them cause I think they are probably one of the best products out their.
            Well I don't know what else to say their tools cost more than anyboby else ! in short better customer support!!!!
            They don't even have a dedicated selection from the main menu when you phone tech support. I mentioned that to them when the Verus was first released and it still has not changed. At least we have this forum to share notes.

Comment

• eddiesverus
              • Dec 2008

Yes we agree that this Verus is trouble some, I've had mine for same 3 months and yes its been at the repair shop 3 times, had reimaged 5 times and got all the updates. it just takes time getting used to and having a backup scan tool. if I have a problem, I just pull out my other tool and verify. I've found that thier is no perfect scan tool out there, they all have some type of problem, so don't get upset, these tools will eventulay get better, it just takes time. I remember when I first got the OTC genisys back in 2000. and I tride the MODIS when it first was introduced. they were both junk, slow and full of problems, but look how far they gotten? super fast OTC much better and stable Modis (still slow though) but better. now the verus and OTC Pegisys. they are both full of problems and bugs. but eventualy will get better, we just happen to be the ginny pigs testing them. Out of the OTC this time I choose the Verus. my old Mac Mentor is my old faithfull and hasent failed me yet. if the verus can't work I just pull out the Mac and it will work. Despite all the verus problems I still like like it and used most frequenty and I've gotten much better with it. I love many things about it and I try not to think of the other issues it has.
              Give me a call and we could get together to work out your issues with the verus, I'm close to you in Reedley, CA. I see your from Fresno? send me a privet message if you'd like...
              Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• Chevytruckman1234
                • Mar 2008

Sprinters are a whole different beast because they r mercedes instead of the dodge it says on the front u need the kit to scan them a pain but better than no coverage at all

Comment

• balcrank
                  • Apr 2009

I can understand glitches as far as authorization even though they are a pain in the !@#. What I hate is the tech line telling you they haven't heard of wireless not loading or intermittent absence of virtual keyboard on hard boot-up. I make money from working not sitting on hold waiting for support. Thank God for 300 dollar department store laptops and auto enginuity. 10K would have been better invested in a shop truck. I wonder if 'stop payment' on EC's from all Verus owners would get some attention.

Comment

• joenash
                    • Jan 2009

maybe

That maybe a good idea, if you can afford to fight with the credit bruea, after so reports you for not paying your account, but it is just bussiness, when I first started my boss said to me why did I not put back that bracket on the car I was working on, ( i was short cutting it to go fast and make time and money) He told me that it cost money to make that bracket and if it was not important they would not have spent the money and put it on the car, if they sold a million cars and it cost a buck thats a million bucks saved, and I thought about it and he was right, so from then on I always put every part back cause it is their for a reason.
                    Anyway MY POINT IS Snap On made the verus on the platform it is on for a reason it may not be a one we all agree on, but it is their reason.
                    WINDOWS XP come on my new computer is running vista and it never crashes, Why XP MY guess you can't strip it down and use a slow prossessor and no memory with vista, COME ON!!! 600mhz 500gig , those are specs for a computer in 1995 when windows first came out, my cell phone has more power than that, I think it is a good idea but rushed to be released, just like their 1/2 cordless impact, come on they had 3 versions I bought the first one traded it in for the 2nd version gave up on the third version, it is just a bussiness decision that they will use this platform.
                    I want to know how much it really cost to make the thing?
                    But they think it cost so much for a scanner, so much for a vantage, so much for a lab scope, so much for a pc with wifi and such all built into one, so we will sell it for this much, Also what ever the traffic will bear, nobody is forcing us to buy it.
                    It would just be better if we had better customer support for the most expensive tool most of us will ever buy from so.
                    why would they admit there are any problems, does the auto industry admit there are defective cars, that is why there are recals and tsbs.
                    unfortunatly I had to trade in my old scanner to get the verus cause I could not afford to have two, cause the verus is so expensive.
                    I have had a few of the buggy isues that some of the other users on this fourm have had as i read here, but over all it seems to work well, but I just purchased it and just installed sr 2 on it and I also do not have other programs on it cause I need it for a scan tool cause it is the only one I have now, so we will see what snap on will do with other service releases?
                    JOENASH

Comment

• Manic Mechanic
                      • Aug 2008

Sprinters Different ? DUH !!!!!

Originally posted by Chevytruckman1234
                      Sprinters are a whole different beast because they r mercedes instead of the dodge it says on the front u need the kit to scan them a pain but better than no coverage at all
                      Read my post a bit closer , On a VERUS it only wants the OBD connector and the k25 personality card for 07 - 08 Sprinter , No other adapter , On 06 or earlier you need the DL 16 adapter and one of two personality keys that comes in the kit and I'm well aware of the difference in Sprinters , It's the VERUS having a bug in Snappys software that's the problem, Note that I do have all adapters Snap On makes for the VERUS
                      Manic Mechanic

Comment

• Manic Mechanic
                        • Aug 2008

We expect much more ?

Originally posted by phill57
                        I agree! It is a geat tool and will only get better. I think one of the problems we/they have is that we expect much more from these type of tools today. As we get experience using other tools and OEM capabilities we want more features in our tools. Additionally we are potentially dealing with almost 30 years of electronic engine controls let alone all the other controllers to boot.
                        I only want and expect it to do what they say it will do, No more , No less
                        Manic Mechanic

Comment

• Manic Mechanic
                          • Aug 2008

Better customer support. Better training !!

Originally posted by joenash
                          Could not say it better
                          Manic Mechanic

Comment

• Daddyo
                            SDE Member
                            • Oct 2006

Training and Support

I think that customer support and on going training is the most important part of a Verus or any scanner purchase. We have been very lucky with our units and get great training from our Rep and our dealer is very active and up to date with the laster info. I am very curious to see how Snap on deals with being in the computer bussiness and keep this unit up to speed. Push you Reps and dealer because they are the ones who made the money on the units and Reps are responsible for your training. I totally agree with, (the product must do what you said it would do) period! no exception! I have many different kinds of units over the years and it is good to see that Snap on is moving in the right direction with the Verus.

Comment

• Skip
                              Super Moderator
                              • Apr 2008

Read my post a bit closer , On a VERUS it only wants the OBD connector and the k25 personality card for 07 - 08 Sprinter , No other adapter , On 06 or earlier you need the DL 16 adapter and one of two personality keys that comes in the kit and I'm well aware of the difference in Sprinters , It's the VERUS having a bug in Snappys software that's the problem, Note that I do have all adapters Snap On makes for the VERUS
                              I think the difference in keys and connectors is because of differences in the communication protocol on the truck, not anything to do with the tool.

Comment

Working...