X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • derktins
    • Oct 2012

Verus Scope question

Hello everyone,

I have a question I am hoping that a Verus scope user can answer. Is there a way to set a trigger to record start recording and then stop on it's own?

For example, if I hooked ch 1 of my Verus scope to a fuel pump ground that was suspect, could I set it to start recording when the voltage went above 1V and then stop on it's own?

The reason I ask is because it's annoying to stand next to the scope waiting to hit the "stop" button when something happens on a circuit. It would be much better to be away from the car working on something else, and then just go check to see if the scope had collected usable data.

Thanks for your replies
  • crackerclicker
    • May 2008

It's been awhile since I had a Snap On scope, but I would think there would be an option for a "single" trigger.

Comment

• dbarnes5654
      • Apr 2007

I would think that if you just set it to graph the voltage, you could walk away and come back and see any fluctuation in the voltage scale.

Don

Comment

• leemack
        • Jul 2010

I think if I have understood the user guide that selecting trigger as normal rather than auto only triggers on your desired trigger point as a single shot/glitch capture whereas auto will display continuously.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
          Snap-on D&I
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by leemack
          I think if I have understood the user guide that selecting trigger as normal rather than auto only triggers on your desired trigger point as a single shot/glitch capture whereas auto will display continuously.
          Some additional information on Auto/Manual trigger settings and data buffering:
          The key thing to remember is the buffer is always collecting data in the background independent of the trigger setup.
          The trigger will determine what you see and where it is positioned on the screen, but not what is captured in the buffer.
          Think of the buffer as a series of screens of data that are captured seamlessly over time. The trigger determines which of them you see displayed on the screen based on the trigger settings.
          At a 10ms sweep for instance, 100 screens of data are captured per second.
          Only a small number of them are displayed. Even if they all could be, the data would be changing too fast to perceive.
          When the trigger is set to Auto, if the scope does not see a trigger in about 1 second, it will automatically update the screen with the latest data captured.
          This allows you to see data when the trigger is not being met and allows you to then select a trigger level appropriate to the signal you are viewing.
          Manual trigger on the other hand will only update the screen when the trigger is met. While this does behave in some ways like a single shot trigger, it isn't really although it can be used in a similar fashion.
          In the case of looking for a ground to go high with a sweep of 10 ms where the trigger is set just above the normal level in manual mode, if the voltage does cross the trigger and then drops back down, the event will be captured on the screen and remain there until the next trigger is seen. The buffer is about 2.6 S long at this sweep. After 2.6 seconds have elapsed, the event displayed on the screen will no longer be in the buffer even though it is still displayed on the screen. If you were to press freeze, the screen would be updated to the latest data in the buffer because the data displayed on the screen is no longer in the buffer. In this case if you want to keep a record of the data that is displayed on the screen, you would want to make a screen capture with the S button.
          The length of the buffer is displayed in actual time to the left of the buffer position indicator. The length of the buffer time wise will increase as the sweep is increased.
          Using a longer sweep in the example above (Best with Peak Detect on), you would have more time before the event captured and displayed on the screen rolled off the back end of the buffer. The buffer time displays the length of the buffer, and the position indicator provides a visual indication that can be used to estimate when data observed will roll off the back end and therefore how long you have to press Freeze to capture it. If you see an event you want to capture in the buffer, you have until the position indicator circles back around to the same position before the event of interest rolls off the back end.
          If you are using a faster sweep and manual trigger, its best to do a screen capture to be sure.

Comment

• jm43130
            • Apr 2008

scope trigger

I assume you just need to know if voltage jumps over 1 volt and not when. You can load it as Scope Multimeter, then select Digital multimeter, then select Volts DC. Screnn that comes up then has current voltage in center of screen and minimum and maximum values at lower right corner of screen. If maximum shows more than 1 volt, you kmow it happened. You can hit the refresh button at top of screen and reset min-max values. I use this type of screen on low amp scales to capture intermittent battery draws. It captures min-max amp draws. Vantage pro does work a little easier for this since it has internal amp circuitry, where as Verus has only low amp probe and you are tied to battery in low amp probe. Also in lab scope, you can set trigger to manual and set slider on tab for Trace 1 at 1 volt, then go back to screen and wait to see if a data is captured. There is also a min-max value at bottom of this screen also. If max shows more than 1 volt, there's your answer. Just watch min-max scales.

Comment

• leemack
              • Jul 2010

How about using graphing multimeter mode instead as I'm sure that has a longer timrbase selection so recordingfor longer may be possible especially if tirggrr settings can be used.

Comment

• derktins
                • Oct 2012

Thank you, Rich.

I believe you're answer was the one I was looking for. I think I understand what you mean. I sent you a PM for clarification of a couple of things.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your time and input.

Comment

Working...