Just upgraded to "SSD" Solid State hard drive , Much Faster!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Running Ubuntu and Windows

5 seconds of Das Eist Guut Enuf LOL, Hey I don't care to delay the default boot sequence any longer because I usually let my PC go boot up in usual Windows 7 and too lazy to input a selection or wait longer. Windows updates recently messed with Ubuntu Grub loader or twisted it's Wubis or something but I googled the problem and found the fix and now it loading again so I can still fix a sandwich once in awhile but don't know how to use Microsoft office

Comment

• bkoso1985
      • Feb 2013

I'm going to be getting a SSD for my Verus. My question is will any 2.5" SSD fit and work? I'm looking at going with a 250GB one.

Comment

• bkoso1985
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by bkoso1985
        I'm going to be getting a SSD for my Verus. My question is will any 2.5" SSD fit and work? I'm looking at going with a 250GB one.

Also, what else do I need to buy to clone and what not?

Comment

• PETEWITHY
          • Mar 2014

Please can you tell me if it was a Series one Verus you updated.

Originally posted by tdellingner
          I just upgraded my Verus as well. I went with a Corsair Force CSSD-F80GBP2-BRKT 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD). I also upgraded my ram at the same time with a CORSAIR 1GB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Laptop Memory Model VS1GSDS400. I used Acronis Easy Migrate 7.0 to clone the original drive. All is looking much faster at this point. Original boot time from off to diagnostic suite up and running with OEM parts was about 2 minutes and 20 seconds. Now it is about 1 minute and 25 seconds. Everything is faster, now if i could just find a processor fan to replace the noisy oem one that is about to fail......
          Hi Please can you tell me if the Verus you updated was a Series One. Thanks in advance
          Pete Withy

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
            • Apr 2011

Any new input on this subject? It's been 3 years since the original post. Anyone tried to update to ssd this year?

Comment

• rjbradlow
              • Dec 2015

SSD Drive Tips & Warnings

For those of you wishing to upgrade or already have upgraded to a SSD
              there are some very important things you must know about them and Winblows XP.

After a seemingly successful upgrade, your Verus Will be faster but will eventually come to a painful crawl which will be far slower than the performance of the old drive you replaced.

SSD (Solid State Drive) Needs and Warnings
              • They MUST be Aligned properly!
              • They MUST have TRIM utilities installed (XP does not natively support it.)
              • NEVER Defrag a SSD!!
              • MUST have the built in platter drive utilities / services of XP turned OFF!

What is TRIM?
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

NOTE: (Excerpt from the above Wikipedia article.)
              Operating system support
              Trimming is only effective on operating systems which support it. ~ Additionally, older solid-state drives designed before the addition of the Trim command to the ATA standard will need firmware updates, otherwise the new command will be ignored. However, not every drive can be upgraded to support Trimming.

What should you do then?
              Tips for Migrating Windows XP to an SSD

OTHER TIPS:
              32 bit Winblows XP can only support up to 3GB of RAM (4 hypothetically) but 2 Gigs safely.
              http://superuser.com/questions/292207/is-there-any-way-to-use-memory-above-3-25gb-using-windows-xp

Upgrading your RAM is the BEST way to increase the performance of your Verus and the more the better... it should safely handle a 2GB stick.

Reason being that Winblows uses a Paging File as Virtual Memory when RAM runs out of room. Writing and Reading to a paging file on a HDD is much slower than to RAM and also why you will initially see a huge performance gain (aside from faster booting) when switching to a SDD. BUT! is also a Winblows and SSD Achilles heal since XP will not be Trimming and the SSD will fill up and wear out quickly unless you follow the instructions in the 'Tips for Migrating Windows XP to an SSD' article above.

Note that the article instructs you Not to disable the paging file, but if you upgrade your ram to 2GB and to a SSD you really shouldn't need it on this system.
              If you do go the SSD route; I strongly recommend that you try disabling the Paging File and if you do not encounter any of the problems the article warns of, well then leave it disabled and don't worry about it.
              I have it disabled on a laptop running XP Pro on a SSD and have yet to encounter and issues.

One way to check your PF usage is to right click the Winblows task bar, click Task Manger and then the Performance tab.
              With 2 or more GB of RAM it should be zero.

Oh and Don't forget the Thermal Paste!!

Final thoughts...
              Why do I call it Winblows?
              Because Micro$oft makes inferior software due to horrid programming practices, policies and bloated spaghetti code (fix by addition) which Forced the world to buy supercharged hardware in order to run Vista and beyond.
              The largest clue to it's inferiority is how unstable and unsecure it is.
              Otherwise None of us would know what a BSOD is or that we had to buy anti-virus And anti-malware software on top of registry cleaners and keep our disks defragged.

What then do You use Mr. Bradlow?
              LINUX ! as I wish Strap-on would since one of my dealers infected my Verus with a Virus during an upgrade!!
              But... Linux has viruses too -- You might be lead to believe. Well actually NO it doesn't because Linux was first created to be secure and later user friendly and any baddies are quickly repaired upstream.

... EOF ...
              Last edited by rjbradlow; 12-25-2015, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                • Apr 2011

Does anyone do this for a price? If so, details please? I would like to upgrade my old Verus to SSD. Thank you. Let me know.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

After reading about what needs to be done with the trim and such I think I would have reservations about if it can be done right or not . How many people did past SSD upgrades and didn't do that required thing and now those drives are going to take a Sh@t soon.
                  I think I definitely would want to upgrade ram to 2gb , remove and properly clone the hard drive and check the health of the hard drive and cooling fan.

The Hardware and OS is getting so long in tooth ,obsolete and parts hard to find. Fragile ribbon connectors makes any thing you do risky. I would sell it and get a used Vantage Pro for guided component tests and maybe get a new Cyst with j-box Sub for what it would cost to fix your classic Marantz reciever
                  Last edited by Witsend; 02-04-2016, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...