Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buzzed2
    • Mar 2013

Do Not Buy A Verus Pro!!!

Well, It has been 2 years of fighting with snapon. The Verus Pro is not worth the money. Mine is for sale! It has issues which San Jose can not figure out. After 3 NEW units and countless calls to the tech line, I gave up. I went out and purchased an Autel Scanner. WOW!!! What a nice unit. it does SO much more.
    Example, 2005 Chrysler, The Verus can not connect to a DDM. The cheap autel can. reads codes and data. Look it up guys! I am a hardcore snapon fan but when it comes to having the diagnostic tools, look away from the Verus.

Again, I have a beautiful Verus Pro for sale with the docking station, and 3 drawer box, the whole nine!!! Not like i'd get close to the price I paid. My Rep said he can't sell it because of the price. Its updated to the latest software.

The best advise I can give: Stay away from the overpriced paperweight if you want to fix vehicles.
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Autel vs Snap-On

I feel your pain. I recently obtained the Maxisys from Autel and I have to admit Snap-On really needs to step up to the plate and improve performance, coverage and capabilities and adjust their prices at the same time. It is a sad situation when a tool that costs 50% less than a Snap-On comparison, (comparing to the Solus Edge), does 50% more. European coverage is included in the base price of the Maxisys for instance and it blows Snap-On out of the water. I will say there are some holes and missing features in the Autel tool, what tool doesn't have issues but for the price you can't beat it. If they improved the customer database/work order and saved files attached to the customer vehicle record similar to the Verdict and Verus platforms, I would seriously consider jumping ship. Don't get me wrong I love my Verus but it's really hard to overlook the short comings of it and Snap-On in light of the capabilities in a competitor tool for a fraction of the cost.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Please don't be advising folk not to buy those things new, otherwise in another 5 years, Bottom Feeders like myself won't have much hope of finding a used one on Craigslist for $1200- $1500 to complement my Counselor 2 I found on Craigslist for $500.

Comment

• ericsautomotive
        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
        Please don't be advising folk not to buy those things new, otherwise in another 5 years, Bottom Feeders like myself won't have much hope of finding a used one on Craigslist for $1200- $1500 to complement my Counselor 2 I found on Craigslist for $500.

Hey Witsend, I love my Counselor 2. I've also got an old Sun 450.
        Don't guess! Test !!

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

I'm figuring the Chinese pretty much just take and reverse engineer and copy most of the OE scanner software without authorization and impunity from prosecution and Snappy has to bend over and ask how high to jump to get the software it gets and that's why we pretty much have to bend over and jump twice as high for a Snappy One versus a Chinese one.
          I'm thinking soon and very soon other than basic generic OBD2 testing , all OE scanners will be incorporated into every new car built soon (starting with Euroturds and quickly Domestics and Asians makes)and the customer will have the option of paying the OE maker to unlock the proprietary software of it after the warranty is over if they choose to have you or I to work on it. The central display will have USB access for a Snappy troubleshooter and information system to simplify and guide you through the Farfignuggen BS of it all.
          Last edited by Witsend; 11-07-2014, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• hefaus
            • Dec 2007

Chinese

I'm figuring the Chinese pretty much just take and reverse engineer and copy most of the OE scanner software without authorization and impunity from prosecution and Snappy has to bend over and ask how high to jump to get the software it gets and that's why we pretty much have to bend over and jump twice as high for a Snappy One versus a Chinese one.
            I'm thinking soon and very soon other than basic generic OBD2 testing , all OE scanners will be incorporated into every new car built soon (starting with Euroturds and quickly Domestics and Asians makes)and the customer will have the option of paying the OE maker to unlock the proprietary software of it after the warranty is over if they choose to have you or I to work on it. The central display will have USB access for a Snappy troubleshooter and information system to simplify and guide you through the Farfignuggen BS of it all.
            Lol. I'm thinking that the Chinese are already doing the Snap On Engineering after there own is done.I bet the boards and all are from China like most everything else electronic.Just Snappy saw some real money grabbing logic for a few years until we get or like me got tired of this updating for outragious prices and not working as they said it would. Just venting. Enjoy keep smiling

Comment

• Sparkey
              • Nov 2008

we also have just purchased a Maxisys! so far so good, some minor issues but didn't pay $7,000.00 more.

Reason for changing:
              1.. Verus Pro = Slower than molasses is January when booting and this is AFTER we installed a SSD drive... REALLY? i really think it got slower???
              2.. Software Updates.. slow in coming and WAY over $$$$
              3.. Hardware that 10+ yrs old????

come on snap-on... build a computer with some speed and get rid of WINXP.. really????? computer hardware prices is NOT that high anymore... QUAD CORE?? monitor 1024x600 what's with that ODD ball size?...better quality camera wouldn't hurt... anyone can buy a laptop today for $300.00 that would run circles around this $10,000.00 thing... yah, yah, i know, there is more to it than just that... you can still build one hell of a computer for $1,000.00 and you can still charge your $9,000.00 for the software thats on it.

i know this Maxisys does not have a 4 channel lab/ignition scope but $10,000.00 for Verus pro or $3,000.00 for the Maxisys, with weekly updates, hmmm, let me do the math?... i didn't know lab/ignitions scopes cost $7,000.00?? hmmm

Well, things are going to have to get much better in the snapon world before i look at anymore snap-on diagnostic equipment.

really, for what snapon charges for, now i guess we will call it a subscription fee, they should throw in shopkey & suretrack.

give your customers a little something in return for all the $$$ they spend with you... OH, wait a minute, that's NOT the corporate thing to do these days, is it?? not like it was in the 50's or 60's when big business gave back a little to there customers...

getting off my soap box for now.. have a great day! thanks for thinking of us...LOL

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

I'm thinking to stay in the game, European coverage has to become standard across the board now on the entire line. Verus Pro is too damn pricey to be considered for one individual's use. It is so damned pricey that among the competition It can no longer be presented as a Tablet scanner and scope with troubleshooter and internet access , but as The Shop's a Diagnostic and Information System incorporating Troubleshooter in all the software expired or not , and with current subscription , not only is Sure Trak included , but Mitchell On Demand Repair always included with updates. Shop Estimator part could be an additional cost option .

Comment

• Yahiko
                  • Oct 2012

Well I know that they just copy what the want. I know that they have done it
                  with the Ford dealership tool VCM IDS. They don't charge much for it.
                  But when you don't have to pay for someone to develop the tools software
                  you can under cut the costs. Snap-On has to develop software and pay
                  the auto for access to the info so they can.

Sean

Comment

• hefaus
                    • Dec 2007

develop software Snappy

If that is true they need to hire someone that knows how to get that software from Snappy to work properly cause it doesn't work. Notice the price? They sure know about that one. Just saying

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

As a regular budget challenged individual with a personal scanner, I think having the built in Troubleshooter over having no trouble shooter at all is worth an extra thousand dollars in the long run because it is going to save you time in the long run , but if the scanner costs double the price of competitor and it can't do as much bi directional stuff... and then you have to pay extra just to have the option unlocked on the Farfignuggen stuff that you'ld rather just put Das Boot Tu it if you had the luxury and half a chance to d to do so, but no one can afford to turn away Euro-turd work anymore, like the old days when you got an occasional Mad Professor type drop in with a Volvo, or Saab. Those cars weren't as complicated as their drivers .
                      You tell your customers, it's ok to let your children grow up to be Cowboys but please please please don't let them get Broke Back and buy a BMW, because sooner or later we'll all end up with a damn Chinese Scanner in order to fix our grown kids toys. There's only so many holes you find that have to be filled by a Chinese Scanner before the whole road To No Where gets paved over by recycled Chinese Scanners. I love German Technology, I just hate all the proprietary BS special mystery fluids , goofy tools, triple square bolts ,and wanky equipment necessary to service German cars. I would love to see a Legislative Tuetonic Torpedo put up thier @sses to require some type of Simplicity of aftermarket servicing without requiring the use of special expensive proprietary equipment to be required to properly set up and repair them in the automotive design tribunal and be vetoed by technicians then enforced by law.LOL
                      Last edited by Witsend; 11-09-2014, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

I forgot to add having a built in oscilloscope feature in a scope has to be worth at least another thousand dollars and a 4 channel scope one with a king size display maybe $500 more. With trouble shooter and 4 scope scanner add $2500 over the price of $3k of a standard Maxipad without the programmer , and my present perceived value of retail value of a Verus Pro (minus a $300 optional cart and a $150 optional docking station) $5500 tops , lacking some coverage and all I understand Snap On just can't just clone OE software without paying to use it like the Chinese do. Who knows, OE car makers that build lots of cars in China with cheap labor, dump tons of toxic waste into their air and waterways, and not pay half as much in taxes in China , so any monetary loss due to stolen plagiarized software is small loss compared to how much the profits are from exploiting Chinese workers, tax breaks , and not dealing with unions, OSHA, and environmental protection agency.
                        So with the OE makers intentionally making stuff harder and harder for us to service, I don't feel guilty the cheap Chinese scanner software might have unauthorized software inside them for us to fix their lousy cars I already don't like to work in the nasty inhumane confines of most of their robot designed and built turds anyway.
                        Last edited by Witsend; 11-09-2014, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Rally
                          • May 2016

I forgot to add having a built in oscilloscope feature in a scope has to be worth at least another thousand dollars and a 4 channel scope one with a king size display maybe $500 more. With trouble shooter and 4 scope scanner add $2500 over the price of $3k of a standard Maxipad without the programmer , and my present perceived value of retail value of a Verus Pro (minus a $300 optional cart and a $150 optional docking station) $5500 tops , lacking some coverage and all I understand Snap On just can't just clone OE software without paying to use it like the Chinese do. Who knows, OE car makers that build lots of cars in China with cheap labor, dump tons of toxic waste into their air and waterways, and not pay half as much in taxes in China , so any monetary loss due to stolen plagiarized software is small loss compared to how much the profits are from exploiting Chinese workers, tax breaks , and not dealing with unions, OSHA, and environmental protection agency.
                          So with the OE makers intentionally making stuff harder and harder for us to service, I don't feel guilty the cheap Chinese scanner software might have unauthorized software inside them for us to fix their lousy cars I already don't like to work in the nasty inhumane confines of most of their robot designed and built turds anyway.
                          If you don't want to work on Cars of Various makes and don't like the tools required to work on the cars why not simply find another Job. Furthermore, If you use the German language I would advice you to learn how to spell first.
                          USA = Corporate Greed, we all know that. If you don't want to pay for the Snap-On Tools, then don't! Why get mad about something you can do nothing about. Maybe in the years to come enough people switch to other tools and hopefully Snap-On gets the message.

Comment

• Crusty
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Rally
                            If you don't want to work on Cars of Various makes and don't like the tools required to work on the cars why not simply find another Job. Furthermore, If you use the German language I would advice you to learn how to spell first.
                            USA = Corporate Greed, we all know that. If you don't want to pay for the Snap-On Tools, then don't! Why get mad about something you can do nothing about. Maybe in the years to come enough people switch to other tools and hopefully Snap-On gets the message.
                            First, if you read his posts, you'll easily see he has a sense of humour. Quite often he'll twist words around and it's funny. Lighten up.

Second, VW CHEATING the system intentionally wasn't "Corporate Greed"-??? Therefore using your logic, Europe = Corporate Greed too.

Third, Snap-On covers a great many vehicles. Maybe not perfectly, but if you were to add up all the manufacturers, then purchased every single OE tool, you would spend much more, many times more, than what you pay for Snap-On stuff. Can they improve-?? Sure. Even OE isn't perfect or their vehicles would never break down.

Comment

• Crusty
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Rally
                              As for spelling,

"I would advice you "

The word is advise, not advice.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...