Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tenfooter
    • Apr 2007

Mode $06 that works right.

Has anyone else had trouble with the generic obd2 section pointing to the proper test id when manually inputting the id? When going in for Mode $06 through the manufacturer section it works but is not reliable. The vehicle in question is a 99 f250 superduty with 6.8l auto trans with a/c the test id is $53 and component id's $01 through $0A. On the generic section I get test id $03 after multiple attempts at inputting $53. from the manufacturer section generic functions you get test id $53 but every CID says failed and CID $02 has a number but when checked with a genisys there is not a single count on any CID for TID $53. What I want is a properly functioning generic scantool with reliable data? Why should I drop more money in this scantool? I am extremely unhappy with the prospect of having to pay to have this fixed(7.4 update?) it is a generic function and should work no matter what version I have. I think snap on should be ashamed of this predatory update process that requires big money to fix things that the previous update broke. Don't release broken software that is what keeps me from buying any new windows software. Fix software don't force updates to fix bugs, updates are to increase functionality and coverage. Rant paused!
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Tenfooter

Yes I have had some issues with my Modis and Mode 6, if you are looking and 53 I am assuming you are looking for mis-fires. This is where my issues stemed from also. Did you call Tech Support??? They may have a work around for you. If people don?t call Tech Support they will not ever know problems exist. Snap-on has already release free updates in the past to correct problems. Having multiple scanners can be a big help, thou the Genisys may have helped you here it has FAR more faults then S.O?s. I just updated the shops Genisys for the new Euro and worked on a Volvo yesterday (SEE SNAP-ON I STILL NEED VOLVO!!!) and the first air temp read 220 degrees, the second read 98 degrees. Obviously the first was the coolant which had no pid. All scanners can have problems even OE but their tech support has to know.

Steve

Comment

• tenfooter
      • Apr 2007

Why is it this site not monitored by snap on tech support? I don't have spare time to call tech support for every little problem. I called one day and was on hold for over 5 minutes with my boss breathing down my neck about the next car so in order to avoid hassles I have decided to post my rants here. And you shouldn't call it european coverage if it doesn't cover all european makes including Saab Land Rover and Volvo etc.

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

I am sure they do monitor this site, after all they own it! However it will take much longer then 5 minutes to get your answer here. If tech support solved the problem in 5 mins. it was a call well placed, if they could help you. Now about the Euro, OTC now does support the makes you stated but some of them are no more then Global OBDII with a manufacturers name on it, and MANY MANY holes in the software.

Steve

Comment

• MasterWrench
          • Oct 2006

I have the Euro software and 7.2 update as well. The shop I work for also has Auto Logic for Mercedes and VW OE on a laptop. For a generic scan tool, I have yet to see one with as good coverage as MODIS for these.

I agree that more Euro models need to be added ie; Saab and Volvo at a minimum, Jag and Porsche and Land Rover would be nice too but I think that is just dreaming. They are going to put in there what they want and we will just have to buy other tools to get that coverage because not enough people actually use this stuff.

There is a guy in my shop that has a modis and he has never used the scope, and amps probe, or the ignition scope and is amazed that I can use these, even though I have spent time showing him how to use them.....LOL

It is just going to be costlier in the long run to be so good st what we do
          MasterWrench

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Steve and tenfooter,

I just spent the day fooling around with the new 7.4 Software Upgrade in my Modis. Mode 6 operation has been nicely enhanced. The scanner now polls the PCM and determines which TIDs are supported and then displays that list. You can quickly scan the tests to see if any have flunked, and if they have, you can go look them up in Shopkey to see what they are(there's a lot Mode 6 info in Shopkey for a lot of cars). TIDs over 50 all display properly.
            Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• MasterWrench
              • Oct 2006

That's a good step in the right direction. Next step decipher it for us so we do not have to look it up???
              MasterWrench

Comment

• Steve6911
                • Feb 2007

There are a lot of new upgrades with 7.4. Info section screen can now go to full screen, from the split screen. Toubleshooter has also changed a lot.
                Keep hunting and you'll see more!

Steve

Comment

• MasterWrench
                  • Oct 2006

I heard a rumor that you can now use the USB port with a thumb drive to store data. Even on the "old" MODIS like mine......
                  MasterWrench

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                    Snap-on DSD
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
                    There are a lot of new upgrades with 7.4. Info section screen can now go to full screen, from the split screen. Toubleshooter has also changed a lot.
                    Keep hunting and you'll see more!

Steve
                    I like the added functionality and Data on Toyota Hybrids. Just in time too. They're starting to trickle into the Aftermarket now.

Originally posted by MasterWrench
                    That's a good step in the right direction. Next step decipher it for us so we do not have to look it up???
                    That would definitely be cool, but I bet it's a HUGE task. That's an awful lot of Data Entry. I'm glad it's in Shopkey now though. ...and yes, you can use your Thumb Drive with your old Modis now. Keep in mind that it will still only save a certain number of files regardless of drive size.

Joe
                    Henry Ford

Comment

• MasterWrench
                      • Oct 2006

I'm glad it's in Shopkey now though
                      The shop has Mitchell online. Is it on there??
                      MasterWrench

Comment

• Steve6911
                        • Feb 2007

Joe

Having definitions for Mode 6 may be a huge task but a very important one! Another scanner has it, keeps it up to date ( about 2 years back) and updates all the time. Some of Snap-on's updates are great but some I just don't see the use for yet. 2007 GM coverage, vehicle is still under warranty for the most part. I do get these cars in from a local body shop but that's once in a while. Still no GM purge and seal test for the EVAP system, this would mean A LOT more to me then 2007 coverage. I guess once again (like needing Volvo coverage) I'm in the minority.

Steve

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                          Snap-on DSD
                          • Aug 2007

Masterwrench,
                          Yes, you can find it in your Mitchell. Use the Search Function and type in "Mode 6".

Steve, I'm all for Volvo coverage, but at this time most of the Country couldn't care less about it. That surprised me when I learned that, but it's the case.
                          Before I worked for Snap-on I worked for EDGE Diagnostics Systems, the makers of Simu-Tech. As a factory rep for those guys I noticed that there was a "disconnect" between the engineering department and the "street". The Engineers didn't always have a clear picture of what Technicians needed, and why. It was something that needed constant maintenance to prevent troubles. Snap-on does a great job at adding features to the scanner that are required by technicians. However, I know for a fact that they listen to their Field Reps and Beta Testers for advice in this area. I'm sure they also lurk on these forums.
                          Do me a favor (even though you don't owe me one). Start a post in this forum on what capabilities you want added to the scanner. You don't need to post everything in one post...add it as you think of it. Also include a reason why you want that test, and how often you think you'd use that function. I bet you'll see some of those functions appear in future updates.

Joe
                          Henry Ford

Comment

• Steve6911
                            • Feb 2007

Joe

Later today I'll start one up but it has already been done here, most of the same thing ie Mode 6, Volvo etc have been mentioned before. How do you get on their Beta tester list, I could give them a lot of info, at least for my area as to what is needed. I already found and reported a few 7.4 issues.

Steve
                            Last edited by Steve6911; 10-16-2007, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• EBI Webmaster
                              Administrator
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Joe Rappa

Do me a favor (even though you don't owe me one). Start a post in this forum on what capabilities you want added to the scanner. You don't need to post everything in one post...add it as you think of it. Also include a reason why you want that test, and how often you think you'd use that function. I bet you'll see some of those functions appear in future updates.

Joe
                              Here you go guys. Here is a link to another category that you can start the thread in. All ideas for enhancements are welcome. The askatech members have already influenced some of the decisions made at Snap-on Diagnostics, so keep up the good work, and keep the ideas coming.

What Do You Want In Your Snapon Diagnostic Tools
                              http://askatech.snapon.com

Comment

Working...