OK, how do you know which "block" is what?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trindaddy
    • Jan 2010

OK, how do you know which "block" is what?

Hi guys. I find the VW/Audi software on my Modis to be quite powerful for a "generic" scanner. But how in the world are we supposed to decipher which block # to choose to see data for a specific vehicle. Shop key doesn't appear to indicate this either. Am i missing something?
    What a great tool it would be too see the"block" in plain english. Many thanks!
    Last edited by Trindaddy; 04-30-2010, 07:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to actually state what would be wanted by me, as a Modis user.
  • dbarnes5654
    • Apr 2007

go to this web site, www.ross-tech .com/vag-com/m_blocks/.

Comment

• Trindaddy
      • Jan 2010

Sweeet! Thank you sooo much. Odd how we have to go to these lengths to get such basic, essential info. This info should be incorporated into the European software package , should it not? Thank you again.

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Trindaddy
        This info should be incorporated into the European software package , should it not? Thank you again.
        NO, it is included in information systems such as Shopkey and Alldata. It can be different for each year, make and model.

Steve

Comment

• Trindaddy
          • Jan 2010

Hi Steve,
          I've looked many, many times for this info in Shop Key (which i've had since my shop opened 4 years ago). I have never seen this info laid out in way that one can tell what all (or any for that matter) pids mean. If i remember correct, there is an OCCASIONAL reference to a particular block. Even then, you dont know and Shop Key doesn't tell you what the block is a measure of. Come to think of it, using the VW/Audi Shop Key info is one of the hardest to navigate and find info of all the "covered" vehicles. Again, i could be missing something but its not like i haven't tried. Seems Ross-Tech has done a much better job at undoing the "block mystery" to me though. Have you tried tried this on an Audi recently? Thanks for the expertise and time.

Comment

• trader_reed
            • Mar 2010

Trindaddy,

What are you doing that you need to know the what the block is? With VCDS there are blocks and groups.

Comment

• Trindaddy
              • Jan 2010

The way Snap On has the data laid out on the scan tool the only thing you see are the data values (in groups of four i believe). The Modis allows you to see and choose between many groups and has a lot of options/access.

The problem is there is NO UNITS AND NO INDICATION OF WHAT THE PID/VALUE ACTUALLLY IS A MEASURE OF. Also you can do this in the so called "expert" mode where you can change lines of data affecting certain programmable items in different modules. Great, but useless as you dont have a clue as to what each line refers to! No units and no reference to exactly what each pid is a measure of.

There is literally lines and lines of data that you have to look up what they mean to use. I've only recently been able to find this info at Ross-Tech as someone else has shown me. Makes me wonder if anyone at Snap-On has ever tried to use this software during actual diagnostic procedures. When i get to work i will try to send a screen shot of this sad collaboration of data.

Comment

• trader_reed
                • Mar 2010

I know what your talking about, The data is just raw data, your able to see the inputs that the ECU can (coolant temp, throttle position, ect.) Even with Ross-Tech VCDS it's just raw data, no instructions to what everything is you'll need to consult your Factory Repair Manual for the specific group for your particular vehicle. In Block 08 (measuring block) only some of the groups are you able to really use.

Example:
                with VCDS on an Audi TT 1.8t w/dbw throttle body, measuring block 08, group 060 you have all the data for the throttle body. It's here you can adapt the throttle body after cleaning or replacement.

I agree it would be great to have all the data labeled, but I don't think its gonna happen.

Next time I get an Audi or VW in I'll do a little comparison between VCDS and my Solus w/Euro and see if there are any major differences.

I must admit I use my VCDS on every Audi,VW, Seat and Skoda I work on, not that the Snap-On can't do it but I've just got so used to VCDS it's second nature.

Go Bruins!!!

Comment

• Steve6911
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Trindaddy
                  The way Snap On has the data laid out on the scan tool the only thing you see are the data values (in groups of four i believe). The Modis allows you to see and choose between many groups and has a lot of options/access.

The problem is there is NO UNITS AND NO INDICATION OF WHAT THE PID/VALUE ACTUALLLY IS A MEASURE OF. Also you can do this in the so called "expert" mode where you can change lines of data affecting certain programmable items in different modules. Great, but useless as you dont have a clue as to what each line refers to! No units and no reference to exactly what each pid is a measure of.

There is literally lines and lines of data that you have to look up what they mean to use. I've only recently been able to find this info at Ross-Tech as someone else has shown me. Makes me wonder if anyone at Snap-On has ever tried to use this software during actual diagnostic procedures. When i get to work i will try to send a screen shot of this sad collaboration of data.
                  Trindaddy
                  Maybe its me, I might not be understanding what it is that you are looking for. What version software are you running on both VCDS and your Snap-on tool? Here is a screen shot of VCDS's latest beta version

20100513-0927-2.jpg

Notice on the left side under "These are safe" Adv Meas Values. click that button and you get this

20100513-0927-1.jpg

You check the ones you want kind of like Snap-on's Custom Data List.

Now with Snap-on if you go into expert mode and go the Engine managment you will get this for data blocks

User269_00514004526.BMP

And you have to know what you are doing and enter the correct numbers and you will get a screen like this

User270_00514004606.BMP

However unless you have ALL the correct information in front of you and know EXACTLY what you are doing you should not be in expert mode. You can do a whole lot of damage there with just the push of a button. I only use expert mode for module coding and some higher end work. For most everyday use I go into vehicle and system specific mode I go to engine managment and get a screen like this which is what I think you are looking for, correct?

User267_00514004307.BMP

Both VCDS and Snap-on are very good with VW/Audi vehicles VCDS lays out both modes in front of you on the same screen which is nice. But both tools can do the same things. Hope I gave you the answers to what you were looking for.

Steve

Comment

• Steve6911
                    • Feb 2007

Trindaddy and Trader Reed
                    Was that the info that you guys were looking for? I didn't hear back.

Steve

Comment

• trader_reed
                      • Mar 2010

I think he was looking for a map or guide to what every block was and what you could do with the info.

Nice post Steve6911 lots of good info.

Comment

• Trindaddy
                        • Jan 2010

Blockhead

Thanks Steve. Yeah, you've definitely hit the nail. I've been waiting for a VW/Audi to come in so i can try to see the "non expert" screens you sent that has all the "traditional" PID lay out. To be honest, i can't remember EVER seeing the data laid out that way and i've worked on many of these cars. Now i'm starting to second guess myself. Maybe i'm not doing this right. I need to try this myself.

I had an Audi not long before i wrote this post. I really don't think there was a "generic" screen like you sent. maybe that is what you meant by they're all different.
                        Trader, you are right. I was looking for a way to i.d. blocks and ross-tech does provide that nicely (thanks again). That info will be great to "take it to another level". But i really wanted to know that because i can't seem to find the "typical" pID screen like Steve sent. Cant wait to try this again and i will tell you what i've learned.
                        Hell of a post Steve, thank you. I see what you meant.
                        Modis is currently 9.4, and sorry i took so long to respond. With work,wife, home and KIDS sometimes i barely have time for personal stuff. I'm sure you both know the story..
                        Last edited by Trindaddy; 05-18-2010, 06:06 PM. Reason: Oh yeah, forgot..

Comment

• Trindaddy
                          • Jan 2010

Had to go back and re-read your post Steve. By the way, I dont have a VCDS, just the Modis which seems very capable with VW/Audi. But i don't recall ever going to "vehicle" then "specific system" and getting anything other than what looks like expert mode with blocks etc..
                          Now i'm curius...What about you Trader?

Comment

• Trindaddy
                            • Jan 2010

Ah Ha

Hi guys. Guess what? The car that i believe was one of the cars that inspired me to start this post came in today. Now that it is here again, and i am having the same problem, i thought of this open post and Steve and Traders' help. Anyway, try to find that vehicle specific engine data screen on this car if you get time: 2006 VW Jetta 2.5/auto, BGQ engine (1K,G). Ean at tech support confirmed the apparent software issue (from 9.4 to 10.4 at least). Apparently there are some newer Vdubs where the (nicely demonstrated by Steve) "engine data" line is missing from menu. You are then left to your own devices to decipher bits and pieces of info you might find if you surf the ross-tech web site and IATN and Google (Shop Key has nothing). Regardless of the presence of the "usually there" engine data, Group 8 Measuring block Data, a very powerful tool, is useless to many techs like myself. Without access to vehicle-specific measuring block values/units you'll just be wasting time like i did again today. Again thanks to you both.
                            Last edited by Trindaddy; 11-03-2010, 07:07 PM. Reason: Modis level error

Comment

• Steve6911
                              • Feb 2007

Trindaddy

Sorry I didn't get to this yesterday, work was insane. Today I'm away but will be back late tonight. In the morning I will look around and see what I can find out about this issue for you.

Steve

Comment

Working...