What test or features would you like to see added to you Snap On Diagnostic tools

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

I'm gonna play with this thing a couple of hours tonight so tomorrow when I have to work with it I won't be totally lost, making all these changes at once is kinda like coming to work one day and everything has left handed threads. The scrolling does suck, all this just so we wouldn't need a stylus, really ??(I call my sceptor). I've been reading these for forums for over two years and never once heard any complain about the stylus, now we got all this waisted realestate on a screen that doesn't work nearly as well as it used to. I thought I smelled a rat last fall when at class the local rep kept telling us to use our fingers on the screen instead of the stylus. Thats why I put off the 10.4 for as long as I could. My fingers have been crushed, burned, broken and frostbit,I'm still gonna use my stylus. I don't want to be a total downer on this, if I find anything new and cool to report on with the new program I'll be sure to report on it . It's kind of human nature to resist change and it gets worse the older we get, and it could be that some changes were necessary to accomidate some future functions coming down the road, but for now it just seems like some got their cell phone confused with what we need, a precision, scientific instrument for diagnosing cars and light trucks.

Comment

• Snafu
      • Nov 2008

Have to agree Bob scrolling does SUCK but I like you hope that the software change was a necessary EVIL to enable future applications and I really hope they can fix the problem with the software in 11.2.

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
        I finally down graded to the 10.4 today. First thing I noticed, I got close to a thousand scope and scanner files in memory, lots of luck finding anything in the data manager when you can only see ten items at a time. This is kinda like SnapOn's "New Coke" moment, if you're old enough to remember that.
        At least Coke realized, admitted, and corrected their mistake.
        Notice not only are they still in business but are at the top of the heap.
        Certain manufacturers of red colored scan tools could sure learn a lesson
        from Coke, particularly when preference for the old interface is
        averaging between 3 or 4 to 1.
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• SnapOnKid
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Snafu
          Have to agree Bob scrolling does SUCK but I like you hope that the software change was a necessary EVIL to enable future applications and I really hope they can fix the problem with the software in 11.2.
          11.2 is already done. Not sure if any changes were made for scrolling have to wait till it hits the streets... I was told we would be getting it in march then it got pushed to april1st

Comment

• Snafu
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
            11.2 is already done. Not sure if any changes were made for scrolling have to wait till it hits the streets... I was told we would be getting it in march then it got pushed to april1st
            That is nice...APRIL FOOLS DAY.

Lets hope not!!!

Comment

• SnapOnKid
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Snafu
              That is nice...APRIL FOOLS DAY.

Lets hope not!!!
              April fools came with 10.4

Comment

• TurboJim
                • Jan 2007

How about when choosing custom data list, that list remains until you a) change it, or b) change the car. its a PITA to be looking at one or two pids, go back to a functional test, it times out, you go back to data, to have to weed thru the pids you previously selected to get another look.

How about in custom data lists, the ability to blow up a couple pids on the screen so you can see them from the bench or working on something else while trying to monitor something

How about when 2 rows of data pids, a wider "swipe" area to scroll the left pids. (10.4)

I havent tried, but today I needed to change the tire type for the TPMS in a Silverado. Can you access the RCLDR? I honestly didnt try with the verus. I broke out the Tech2 for it.

Couple other "wishes" but my mind is drawing a blank right now.
                Jim Testa
                Senior Technician
                JD Automotive & Truck Inc
                Dover, NJ

Comment

• greasybob
                  • May 2008

What year silverado ? New or classic body style ?

Comment

• greasybob
                    • May 2008

VIN 2FAFP71W75X177905 05 Ford Crown Vic, with 10.4,, there is still no data pid or functional test for the cooling fan that I can see, would be nice to have at least data. If your gonna waste all that screen space by only showing 22 pids (no graphs) you should lose some of the obscure abreviations, there's more than enough room to spell out the words, (lazy software writers). Other than that the new soft ware is faster and the vehicle set is better ( I told you if I found some thing that was an improvement I would report it). I found that the scrolling dose go better with a stylus ( less likely to turn a pid into a gragh ) . But the old data display was still easier on the eyes, easier to focus in on what your looking for. This scrolling screen is just way to touchy. Much better to seperate the the numbers from the graphs. Aggrevating to have the graph pid returning to the top of the screen when exiting it. Numbers on one side, graphs on the other. The scope operation is an improvement too, but there again you still need a stylus (thats good) to operate it unless you got needle fingers. Most of the menu layouts are better but there should be short cuts, from the trouble shooter to the vehicle history for example, to check for code ID. Still feeling my way around this thing. Locks up ocasionally. Can't view my scanner or scope files without getting error messages most of the time.

Comment

• TurboJim
                      • Jan 2007

GB:

Silverado was an 08 K1500.

On fords have you used Output state tests? Typically thats where you cycle the cooling fan. "All outputs on". Or run a KOEO test. If the fan is an output, it will be turned on/off as the PCM verifies control.
                      Jim Testa
                      Senior Technician
                      Dover, NJ

Comment

• TurboJim
                        • Jan 2007

Ohh..Ohh.. another feature I'd like to see.....

User customizable PID lists that you can SAVE. ie:

When I'm looking at say a cat, or O2 heater code, I pull up all 4 o2 sensors and an engine run timer for example. I want to save this pidlist for myself and have an option under data to view IT. Then under data menu, there may be driveability, fuel, etc, then MINE. And you can choose to make it available to only that car, or all vehicles. Perfect example Ford 6.0. I might want ICPV, ICPR %, RPM, ECT and EOT. But those pids dont apply to anything else on the road. So I wouldnt need to use the real estate on other carlines.

I personally dont mind that there are only 20 pids on the screen, because if I am looking for a problem, I dont care what the pids not related to my problem look like. Yes, I might browse them looking for something awry, but when looking for say an O2 problem, I dont care about FTP or Cruise status. I might only want O2, ECT, IAT, MAP, MAF and Baro for example.

Yea, yea. That would be a good one....
                        Jim Testa
                        Senior Technician
                        Dover, NJ

Comment

• greasybob
                          • May 2008

I don't even see the out put state test. Maybe looking in the wrong spot? I agree,you don,t need 20 pids at a time, it's just nice to see whats all available to you all at once at the first glance, then you can narrow your choices from there.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• kebo1970
                            • Nov 2008

turbojim if you go over to view after you make your custom data list; there should be a menu that says pid list,text,1 graph,2 graph, and 4 graph. if you select pid list then go over to zoom and choose 1pid, 2 pids or 4 pids. this will make a big picture so you can see from accross the street

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by TurboJim
                              ...I havent tried, but today I needed to change the tire type for the TPMS in a Silverado. Can you access the RCLDR? I honestly didnt try with the verus. I broke out the Tech2 for it.

Couple other "wishes" but my mind is drawing a blank right now.
                              When you say "tire type" are you refering to The tire size calibration like on the tech 2???
                              If so It's on My Wish list in the front as a high priority!!! Very much need so thanks for showing I am not the only one.

What is the "RCLDR" that you would like to access with the SO scanner???

Some of us don't know and maybe the Tech Department will need to know too.

Good Job to all with the follow ups!!! I realy think this stuff will help us get what we want and need from our tools.

Comment

• greasybob
                                • May 2008

07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Not Supported ??

Had an 07 Jeep Grand Cherokkee 5.7 in today to diagnose when I got this message. VIN 1J8HR58207C580024 NOT SUPPORTED CODES ONLY ? Just to edit this note on 3/26/11, this morning the Verus is communicating properly with this vehicle, Yesterday I entered the VIN information manually this morning I did the automatic method, maybe thats the difference. It was only the engine that would not give data yesterday, all other modules were normal.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by greasybob; 03-26-2011, 05:29 AM. Reason: add some information

Comment

Working...