Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

A Little Help Selling Diagnostics

OK, so this isn't something I want in the tool but it is some thing that got my attention today and would like to see. I came across a flyer(see picture below) today from a parts supplier concerning check engine lights at about the same time my Snappy rep stopped in so I asked him if Snap On had anything similar that promoted the Snap On Method of diagnostics to put in the "waiting room" or to hand out and he said he din't know of anything. I really don't like the one from the parts supplier for a number of reasons. First because it says "turn off the check engine light". That's not what we do, we diagnose to prove what problem exists, then make the repair then test again to prove the problem has been corrected. Second, it puts some emphasis on selling product, again thats only secondary to providing a service. Third problem is the way it talks about scanning for codes. Sounds to much like what another parts supplier does for free along with a good amount of guessing. Any time you do something for free you devalue it and the last thing I want to be associated with is devalueing the service that I provide. So I was wondering if Snap On could come out with flyer that we could distribute that would help us sell the diagnostics that we use the tools for in a way that explains the process and the importance of having a properly functioning vehicle. I spend a few Sundays and the Fourth of July every summer promoting the business where I work a local parades and festivals with a parade float that promotes different aspects of what we do (the float varies from year to year) I included some pictures of what we had this year. The float is always popular with the kids as I have a home made bubble machine that spews out thousands of bubbles per minute and we hand out ice pops too. Having a few Snap On diagnostic flyers to hand too would be helpful.
    Attached Files
  • Bob's Garage
    • Nov 2007

Diagnostics

Good Post Bob.

I agree, we have some many shops down our way, mostly spanish speaking that use free diagnostics as a way in. It seems to work. We usually get the cars after these shops have already spent the customers money.

Still, I would like to have phamplets that describe why we need to charge for that.

I guess the other shops don't have to charge because code readers don't cost much...

Bob

Comment

• kebo1970
      • Nov 2008

free

bob i think your missing the real issue. if your shop does honest business and has the tooling; you won't need a bunch of useless flyers. the truth is that the shops with the code reader actually help you out. they throw tons of cheap parts at the car and frustrate the customer; then they come to your shop. after that if the customer can't see the value in paying for a real diagnosis then they have a problem. i like the free check engine light service; its 50/50 at best at getting the car fixed. then they come to me; at this point all the customer wants is to get the car fixed and will gladly pay. i also would let the shops in your area know that when they have a problem with a car they can use your service. find a tow dolly to get the no-starts to your shop. you can charge for picking the vehicle up as well.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

Bob's your right... Honest buissnes is one thing but even at that when a customer is spending good money some times they like a little education on how things work, esspecial the problem solving skills. after that they I find usually come back even its just to say thanks! I have had a few cars in were the customer has gone to the dealer and the dealer say they can not seem to find out whats wrong. I pull out the verus, show them the problem and they say "Well how come the dealer couldn't figure that out???"

Then I explain how they want to sale big tickets to cover there over head and the people with small problems usually get pushed to the side untill there either slow or they get a complaint through corprate and corprate wants to know why they can't fix simple problems and why there treating customers so poorley...

Comment

• sbreland73
          • Jan 2009

I don't remember where I read it, but I did read an article a while back about a proposition for some politicians and the EPA joining together to push for legislation to abolish the parts store diagnostics. This was in response to the large number of lawsuits being filed against the parts stores, for doing the "scan and sell". While the vehicle owner is not getting a real fix, but having been misled into "Buy this part, find someone to put it on, light goes out."

I also would add that in an indirect way, these parts stores are hurting the very people they depend on for large volume sales - the shops
          S. Breland

Comment

• SnapOnKid
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by sbreland73
            I don't remember where I read it, but I did read an article a while back about a proposition for some politicians and the EPA joining together to push for legislation to abolish the parts store diagnostics. This was in response to the large number of lawsuits being filed against the parts stores, for doing the "scan and sell". While the vehicle owner is not getting a real fix, but having been misled into "Buy this part, find someone to put it on, light goes out."

I also would add that in an indirect way, these parts stores are hurting the very people they depend on for large volume sales - the shops
            I hope thats true!!! So many people want to buy there own part and have us install them. Had a customer that wanted his engine rebuilt he supplied the parts and didn't want to have any machine work. I told him the gaskets were no good and the clearances were on the loose side. He opted to have us do it any way... Guess what, it has a slight piston rattle to it until it warms up all the way and the head gasket started leaking oil about a week later... Then they tried to accuse me of not assembling right. Before the head was removed I personally checked it to spec again to see if there was an issue. It held its tourqe value perfectly. The head gasket how ever was flat as a pancake... Cheap inferior products. You could see were it was pushing oil...

Funny my turbo charged Mitsubishi GSX never had any of these problems. They only thing I did not do my self was pin the main girdle and all the engine machine work. I used a real professional with quality equipment to do all my engine machine work. I never give him a bad time about how they do things and I never complain about the price.

Comment

• greasybob
              • May 2008

I've always viewed myself as a customer of the parts stores and not their salesman. The benefit of having a Snap On pamphlet over the parts supplier is that Snap On has no direct interest in the customers wallet so they can present the necessity of the diagnostic process as an independant third party while still showing how the tools perform this function. Add to this, Snap On is recognized as a quality brand by people outside of the repair industry so that adds some legitamacy too. I remember receiving some flyers with the injector cleaning equipment I bought and these are helpful in selling that service.

Comment

Working...