Keyless, but not wireless adapter - opinions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnapOnKid
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Crusty
    ... Now the average age of vehicles on the road is over 8 years old.
    Putting new coverage in for new vehicles is fine, as long at it is accurate and complete, BUT, how about fixing the existing vehicles and looking after the existing customers?
    Crusty, Were closer to 10-15 years on average in California and a few even have 20 year old vehicles...

Had an 01 odyssey with an Evap leak

1999 Lexus with an Evap issue...

believe it or not Even had a 92 ACURA Legened with blown head gaskets...

I only mention these because I had to actually to do some work to diagnose the root cause. Not just an obvious 02 sensor, bad catalytic converter, or a standard routine maintenance/tune up type of work...

Comment

• SnapOnKid
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Wheel
      This is mainly for the Solus pro, Modis, and gen 1 Verus users.

If Snap-on could make a keyless but not wireless adapter - kind of like OTC did for the Genisys - Would you be interested?

Would you rather just upgrade to one of the present offerings?

Are you satisfied with what you've got, keys and all?
      And despite getting off topic again.

Since SO most likely would not back date this option to older scanners.

I still support adding a Key-less cable to ALL the currently sold scanner lines like what the have done on the ULTRA.

I have found cases were even the wireless module with the USB cable attached did not work but attaching the old Key style cable did work. So If the Module malfunctions your left with a paper weight. Its great when its under warranty but what happens after that??? Like the guys with the Verdicts are finding out. You can not even use the scanner portion of the tool if the Module is malfunctioning. If the wireless module kit is $1999, How much for just a wireless module repair gonna cost if it malfunctions???

Buy the way, Since the Scanners are so expensive to begin with that most dealers (at least in my area) don't have a demo unit for you to use while your scanner is in for repair, What are we supposed to do then for major diagnostic work if we have to send this a wireless unit and or the scan tool in for repair if we have no other way to hook the unit up do a DLC???

I want every one to understand that I am not trying to bash the product even though it seems very harsh but, The big wigs and bean counters need to look at it from a customer stand point. This would be a very Viable option for customers. You could at least continue to use the scan tool while sending the wireless module in for testing/repair. If the module turns out not to be the issue then maybe they could send a loaner scan tool out with Demo software that times out every 30 days. To use and you could sent your unit in to have it inspected...

I currently use a software with the new company I work for and the Key that we use to activate the software is a USB dongle. The security file for the key automatically times out after 90 days. Snap on should be able to do something similar for a loaner unit and make the outer case a unique color that is only used for loaner units. They could also have a unique serial number embedded in the software so that if some on decided to keep one and swap the case, an unsuspecting dealer could not load new software.

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
        Crusty, Were closer to 10-15 years on average in California and a few even have 20 year old vehicles...

Had an 01 odyssey with an Evap leak

1999 Lexus with an Evap issue...

believe it or not Even had a 92 ACURA Legened with blown head gaskets...

I only mention these because I had to actually to do some work to diagnose the root cause. Not just an obvious 02 sensor, bad catalytic converter, or a standard routine maintenance/tune up type of work...
        Your point about the age of the "fleet" we are repairing indicates that the "back filling" of PROPER pids and functional capabilities should be amongst SnapOn's priorities instead of another new unit or tool for sale.
        How about fixing the old stuff first.
        An improvement to fixing the old stuff would be getting rid of the personality keys.

Another new unit on the market with no consideration for the existing customers and 8 to 15 year old vehicles needing lots of repairs will only fly for so long. A new "wireless" or a new "touch screen" machine with the same holes in the software running those new machines does nothing for the SnapOn customer, nor for efficiency, nor for the motoring public.

As for sending out a module for repair, that's why the one-size-fits-all, All-in-one package is not a smart tool investment because it's not "if" it needs attention, it's just "when" it needs attention and we lose all our diagnostic capability in one shot.

That's why I kept my scanner separate from my labscope. They do different functions.

A keyless cable would help. Wireless and touch screens don't do anything for functionality. I can see the advantage of information access but how far away is the cabled laptop on the bench connected to the internet or your LAN for your choice of MOD or AllData.
        Wireless programming has been an issue for some people which re-inforces the wired laptop on the bench. Three steps from the vehicle to the bench compared to the loss of time with a fouled up programming download makes me think the three steps would be more efficient.

Basics first.

Comment

• hefaus
          • Dec 2007

Link

Originally posted by greasybob
          "I don't think the Ultra is a viable alternative to the Solus-Pro yet (and it probably won't be for another 2 or 3 years" Crusty

So what exactly does the Solus Pro have on the Solus ultra ?

"The other issue is Tests that are there but really aren't. You click on the tests and it dumps you back to the menu" Bob's Garage

This always adds an element of surprise to any diagnostic procedure, now you're wondering is it me ? the car ? or the scanner ?

A few weeks ago when the Autel scanner was first mentioned I found an online application chart for it in pdf format. I can't seem to find it again, if anyone could post a link I would really appreciate it. I also see that their web site has the DAS 808 listed as "coming soon " Maybe I should wait. My only complaint about the keys is that the numbers have worn off of most of them so I now have them colour coded
          Hi I hope this is the Link you are after. its outdated as gm is on version 5+ now. Keep Smiling

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

Thank you, I thought that the one that I was looking had more than just GM listed.

Comment

• sbreland73
              • Jan 2009

I currently use a software with the new company I work for and the Key that we use to activate the software is a USB dongle. The security file for the key automatically times out after 90 days.
              Sounds like the old Alldata disc system, with the HASP dongle. The first ones plugged onto the the parallel printer port. Later they used the USB port. Anyway, that system was hacked, and a security file was floating around on the internet. I know, because I found that file, and used it with the DVDs for a few months until my then employere got Alldata online. I am supprised the dongle are still in use.
              S. Breland

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

Since SO most likely would not back date this option to older scanners.

I still support adding a Key-less cable to ALL the currently sold scanner lines like what the have done on the ULTRA.

I have found cases were even the wireless module with the USB cable attached did not work but attaching the old Key style cable did work. So If the Module malfunctions your left with a paper weight. Its great when its under warranty but what happens after that??? Like the guys with the Verdicts are finding out. You can not even use the scanner portion of the tool if the Module is malfunctioning. If the wireless module kit is $1999, How much for just a wireless module repair gonna cost if it malfunctions???

Buy the way, Since the Scanners are so expensive to begin with that most dealers (at least in my area) don't have a demo unit for you to use while your scanner is in for repair, What are we supposed to do then for major diagnostic work if we have to send this a wireless unit and or the scan tool in for repair if we have no other way to hook the unit up do a DLC???

I want every one to understand that I am not trying to bash the product even though it seems very harsh but, The big wigs and bean counters need to look at it from a customer stand point. This would be a very Viable option for customers. You could at least continue to use the scan tool while sending the wireless module in for testing/repair. If the module turns out not to be the issue then maybe they could send a loaner scan tool out with Demo software that times out every 30 days. To use and you could sent your unit in to have it inspected...

Let's not get THEM started on the scan tool time out bandwagon.
                We already need to work together to put a stop to this practice in the industry as it is.

I currently use a software with the new company I work for and the Key that we use to activate the software is a USB dongle. The security file for the key automatically times out after 90 days. Snap on should be able to do something similar for a loaner unit and make the outer case a unique color that is only used for loaner units. They could also have a unique serial number embedded in the software so that if some on decided to keep one and swap the case, an unsuspecting dealer could not load new software.
                My reasons for a keyless only adapter?

1. If Snap On ever gives us all module scan, then the older scanners
                could all take advantage of it, and Snap On could write the feature into
                their scan software across the board. A real incentive to buy the cable
                AND update the software, and no future keys need be made or supported.

2.There are people who want keyless and who would pay for it who may not want / can't afford wireless or a new scanner. If I were Snap On, I would think a small sale is better than no sale, and here is an opportunity.

3.I don't think wireless is as reliable as a solid connection

4.Some people may want to buy both.
                You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Had one this morning. A real time waster-!!! K13, K25,K13, K25, K20, K25....can you guess which one-??

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
                    Had one this morning. A real time waster-!!! K13, K25,K13, K25, K20, K25....can you guess which one-??
                    What kind of Chrysler product?

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage

What kind of Chrysler product?
                      Pretty much all Chryslers do this kind of thing, first one personality key, then another, and back & forth we go......a keyless cable/adaptor would eliminate this kind of wasted time.
                      This one happened to be a PT-Cruiser.

Comment

• Wheel
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage

I would buy a wireless adapter, without a doubt. We have lost so many keys in the past. A keyless adapter, that would be cool.

I hate the keys and some vehicles have too many keys to do all modules.

I think it could be done, similar to the Mongoose MFC. The question is....

Would it make marketing sense? Lots of time and resources dumped into what is now, no longer sold.

Thanks, Bob
                        Would it make marketing sense? A good question. Another good question is how long do they intend to support these older tools?
                        If they don't support them much longer, it will run into a lot of ill will -
                        much worse than they are facing now - hence a much greater reluctance to buying future tools for fear of lack of support. One thing that making a keyless adapter or cable compatible with these older tools would do is make people feel more like Snap On was still standing behind them and their purchase, which would lend greater confidence to future purchases. Snap On currently has to write software for both keyed
                        and keyless scanners. It would simplify their work at least a little to only write future software for keyless applications, but you'd have to buy the
                        adaptor. If the adapter was a fair price, I feel you'd be hard pressed
                        to find a mechanic who was unwilling to throw away his keys.
                        I don't think Snap On can ignore the need for an all module scan feature
                        in their tools for much longer and stay competitive. This just isn't possible without a keyless adapter to my knowledge. Many with these older tools like them and aren't in any mood to upgrade. But they will be left out if keyless adapters aren't an option. These guys may not be willing to buy a new scanner, or may not want wireless, but would be more than willing to buy a keyless adapter to do away with keys and take advantage of an all module scan feature. This is why I said a smaller sale beats no sale. If OTC can do this for the Genisys successfully, I have even more faith in Snap On's ability to do so.
                        I wish Snap On could somehow poll more of their customers about their interest in this before making any decision not to. The results might
                        pleasantly surprise them.
                        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                          • Jan 2011

No reason it could not be done on existing / current platforms.

Comment

• markt
                            • Apr 2011

this one is a bit off the topic of the keyless system but i tried to do an egr adaption reset on a petrol golf lastnight only to find the option wasnnt there
                            tried under a smaller engine size to look for it but no joy as it wouldnt comm with the ecu as it didnt match its search criteria and i couldnt remember the adaption channel to do it in expert mode..which led me to look into a function at the bottom of the menu which was something to do with the vag program info/tech side.
                            it asked me to enter a 4 digit password to access this feature which was a bit annoying as i have possible software on there i have paid for and cant use or which could have helped me in what i was doing .anyone else had this or seen it?

Comment

• crackerclicker
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by Wheel
                              . Another good question is how long do they intend to support these older tools?
                              good question. i see the solus pro isn't in the new snappy catalog. accessories are, but not the unit itself. totally didn't see that coming .

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                                • Feb 2012

You're not gonna see a keyless adapater for older units with 15 pin data cables. Just not enough pins to get it done.

The data cable for the new Solus Ultra has quite a few more pins to enable keyless adapters.

I would LOVE to see a wireless OBD connection for the Ultra.

That would be Ultra Cool ;-)

Comment

Working...