One thing I want before any further updating

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vasau
    • Jul 2007

Not only US version has bugs, but Sun-Diagnostics also.
    Bundle 7.2 international (has 3 markets coverage: US, Europe & Australia)
    I remember 4 issues.
    #1 is called "Communication Established".
    That happens most on older VW's, and also on Citroen & Peugeot.
    How it happens. I'm reading current data with engine running, then I decide to turn key off and if I hasn't end the communication, the next what I see on the next "ignition on" is "Communication Established". The modis won't respond nor on "Yes" or 'No" buttons after that. I could wait for a couple of hours, but the screen is not changing. In that situation I have 2 options: restart modis or press "Reset" button on the top of the screen. I can't understand that glitch!
    #2. The modis bring up an error message when I'm trying to select a vehicle to diagnose. "Failed to load to SCPI FPGA". I see it at least once a week. The only option in this case I have is to restart my Modis.
    #3. One day I had 2001 Chrysler Voyager diesel (europe) with brake pads light on. I've checked ABS module for errors. There was one trouble code. I can't remember what the code was saying, but it complained on RL speed sensor. I was trying to clear the code, but when I was going thru the code clearing prosess, the modis displayed a message saying that the codes cannot be cleared. ABS worked fine on yhe vehicle.
    I would agree that the issue could be a specific to that vehicle, but in about a month later I had 2002 Dodge grand caravan 3.3 (brought from USA). The vehicle had the same code and acted the same way. No problems with ABS.
    Anybody had such issues on Chrysler minivans ABS?
    #4. I had experience on one european car (can't remember exactly what make). Two values were mixed up. ECT & IAT. I've tried switching different engine and year make but no change.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vasau; 08-03-2008, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Kehoej
      • Aug 2008

Why scope w/Vantage?

After spending part of my Sunday afternoon reading the threads here, I have a couple of questions and comments. I first want to say that I firmly believe that SnapOn should provide patches free-of-charge in whatever method works best for the techs using their equipment. It only seems fair and follows the practices of other corporate giants. The problem is that SnapOn is a tool manufacturer, NOT a software company. The software techs only know what they are told when it comes to information published in the packages they release. I think we all know of times when the OEMs get their information wrong, or simly refuse to share it with the "aftermarket".
      One question that occurs to me though is why would someone with a MODIS go grab a Vantage to scope a sensor? Maybe it was because Crusty only has the Solus Pro and a Vantage (basically both halves of the MODIS), that he spoke of scoping with the Vantage. Otherwise, I would suggest that the tech doing that REALLY does not trust the diagnostic equipment they have in the MODIS. If that would be the case, I would suggest that they should sell the tool they do not trust and invest in something they do trust.
      I believe that any tech worth having will use some sense when using any tool, and when something does not seem correct, they should do some investigating. Manuals (printed or electronic) all have some incorrect data, but it is the users responsibility to help the publisher correct the problems by pointing them out. Steve has been doing this by taking the screen shots and posting them. If we can all help the software writers, who are likely not techs, to see why something is incorrect it makes things easier to fix. Just saying something is wrong may not be enough to get it changed.

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by MasterWrench
        Tried that too, it did not work for me. Still got N/A.....
        Hi Masterwrench. Sometimes I've backed out ONE screen and back in and got pid values. Sometimes I've had to do it two or three times. Sometimes I've backed out two screens and then in again before I've gotten pid values.
        Several times I've had pid values (finally) and then had the "first failure" and "last failure" show a pid value of "none" (if there wasn't a first or last failure, why was there a code and freeze frame stored at all???)

Crusty

Comment

• sdlindsey
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Kehoej
          One question that occurs to me though is why would someone with a MODIS go grab a Vantage to scope a sensor? Maybe it was because Crusty only has the Solus Pro and a Vantage (basically both halves of the MODIS), that he spoke of scoping with the Vantage. Otherwise, I would suggest that the tech doing that REALLY does not trust the diagnostic equipment they have in the MODIS. If that would be the case, I would suggest that they should sell the tool they do not trust and invest in something they do trust.
          I have a MODIS and a SOLUS at the moment. I almost _always_ go for the SOLUS first. It's lighter, faster, gets the job done just as good, and is less expensive if something happens to it. The MODIS is a fine product, but its interface is slower, and it's more to lug around. I rarely need to graph more than four PIDs, so what's the point?

I will say this: I have a Vantage and make use of it from time to time for the same reason. It's easy, quick, inexpensive, and gets the job done. Sometimes you just don't need four channels and a high power scope. I've had a Vantage Pro in the past, and I wish I would have kept it. If I had a Vantage Pro now, I'd make use of that more often than I would the MODIS.

The MODIS has a nice screen, eight data PID graphing, and a four channel scope -- but sometimes these things are unnecessary, and end up being a burden.

Comment

• Kehoej
            • Aug 2008

more burden than help?

I can see that the MODIS is a bit bulkier than the SOLUS and or Vantage alone, but the way I understand it, the MODIS should be able to replace the combination of the two tools. This was the reason I asked the question. Why would someone purchase separate tools to do the job that can be accomplished with one tool? I get that the MODIS can be a bit bulky feeling. I have not had enough experience with the SOLUS to see if the inferface is truly quicker. My understanding of the "scan tool" side of the MODIS is that the software is identical to the SOLUS software, so why should the MODIS be slower? I also realize that the scope side of the MODIS could be overkill for a particular job, but the tech does not have to use all of the channels of the scope at once. Having the larger screen seems to be an advantage over the SOLUS, and the ability to change to a scope without having to really change tools seems to be a good investment and time saver.
            One feature that I am noticing si that the newer MODIS does not have the same WI-FI capabilities as the older models. The small USB port could have been better designed and placed, too. My shop (high school) just got WI-FI capabilities and I would really like to be able to communicate with a printer wirelessly.

Comment

• Steve6911
              • Feb 2007

Someone from these forums is working on the wireless printing and some other cool things as we speak.

Don't know how long it will take but so far his stuff has been VERY COOL!

Steve
              Last edited by Steve6911; 08-08-2008, 10:40 AM. Reason: Spelling of course

Comment

• sdlindsey
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Kehoej
                I can see that the MODIS is a bit bulkier than the SOLUS and or Vantage alone, but the way I understand it, the MODIS should be able to replace the combination of the two tools. This was the reason I asked the question. Why would someone purchase separate tools to do the job that can be accomplished with one tool? I get that the MODIS can be a bit bulky feeling. I have not had enough experience with the SOLUS to see if the inferface is truly quicker. My understanding of the "scan tool" side of the MODIS is that the software is identical to the SOLUS software, so why should the MODIS be slower?
                For whatever reason, the SOLUS is much faster for booting up, parsing menus, and even saving captures. I use both tools daily. Literally, I can pull codes and even begin graphing data on the SOLUS before the MODIS is ready to even ID the vehicle. Same thing goes with the Vantage PRO -- though I do not have one presently, I've used it in the past.

Another reason someone might purchase seperate tools -- what if something happens to the MODIS? One tool, with a problem: out of luck for both aspects. I'm the only guy in my shop that does what I do, and I bring all the equipment. If my ability to perform my job is hampered by malfunctioning equipment then I'm in trouble. It's my daily bread.

Another issue with the MODIS: Go ahead and try operating bidirectional controls then verifying the signals with the scope portion. You can't. With seperate tools you can do just that.

I'm not saying owning just a MODIS is bad. I'm just saying that I own multiple tools for a reason, and that reason works for me in the way I use my tools.

Comment

• greenebox
                  • May 2008

I believe the modis is slower because it has twice the hardware to initialize and load drivers for than the solus or vantage, because it has both a scanner module and a scope module. The software is also twice the size so it takes longer to load and uses much more memory. I don't feel like the modis is bulky at all. I find it much more comfortable and intuitive to use than a otc genisys. It comes down to what works best for YOU! I'm a big guy and I can comfortably rest the modis on top of one arm while using test probes etc with the other.

Chris
                  Vyxuz Voice is now in BETA testing! Visit http://forum.virtualxtender.com for more info!
                  Unofficial Modis Add on Software and Customization Guru
                  http://www.virtualxtender.com

Comment

• L Winegardner
                    • Dec 2008

Whew:Things were getting Harsh In March

My Snap-On Distributor Dropped off a Verus Friday, 12-12 For Us to Test Drive. Looking into this Forum I am getting scared with all the Modis, Solus Pro, Hullabalu. Delphi Told me several months ago that with my PCM Flash Hardware, A Lap Top, And an added Software Bundle and Subscriptions ($5.000) or So It Will Emulate Completely The OEM Scan Tools the Dealers are Useing. The Nearly $9,000 For this Unit, that may have the same Gremlins that were discussed earlier in this forum is giving me that Sinking feeling about this Boat I'm on.
                    My Compliments To all who have contributed, for the composure demonstrated during what appears to be a trieing time for all involved.

Thank You for your input

Lew

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by L Winegardner
                      My Snap-On Distributor Dropped off a Verus Friday, 12-12 For Us to Test Drive. Looking into this Forum I am getting scared with all the Modis, Solus Pro, Hullabalu. Delphi Told me several months ago that with my PCM Flash Hardware, A Lap Top, And an added Software Bundle and Subscriptions ($5.000) or So It Will Emulate Completely The OEM Scan Tools the Dealers are Useing. The Nearly $9,000 For this Unit, that may have the same Gremlins that were discussed earlier in this forum is giving me that Sinking feeling about this Boat I'm on.
                      My Compliments To all who have contributed, for the composure demonstrated during what appears to be a trieing time for all involved.

Thank You for your input

Lew

NOTE: This thread now has 145 posts in it

I think Snap-On needs to rethink their position on

New Hardware - OOOOH- AAAAH- WOW- GLITZ
                      Software error complacency
                      Updates
                      Patches
                      Pricing
                      Feedback- both to and from SnapOn
                      Support- (or the lack of)

JMHO