Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardwood
    • Oct 2008

How old is my Modis?

I just purchased a used Modis with the 8.4 update. It has the raised screen, but no mini-usb port under the left handgrip. I am wondering if I was a little misled by the seller who listed it as follows:
    "This MODIS is being listed as used, but like new better discribes it's condition. It is the newer version MODIS with the raised screen and a larger faster processor than the older flat faced MODIS."
    Is there any way to prove how old this Modis is?
    Can the board be updated without replacing the whole Modis for $$$ by Snap On?
    How much $$$ would it cost to upgrade in either case?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!
  • KM@PROAUTOTECH
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Hardwood
    I just purchased a used Modis with the 8.4 update. It has the raised screen, but no mini-usb port under the left handgrip. I am wondering if I was a little misled by the seller who listed it as follows:
    "This MODIS is being listed as used, but like new better discribes it's condition. It is the newer version MODIS with the raised screen and a larger faster processor than the older flat faced MODIS."

Thanks!
    In addition to having a fire-wire(mini-usb) under the left handgrip look and see if you see a button on the surface of the boad, that will answer the question about the processor board being changed. Yes you can have the processor updated, contact your Snap-On dealer.

Comment

• aautomaan
      • Oct 2007

old modis

It sounds like yours is what mine is. I bought a Modis a long time ago. I used it so much and thought i was being fairly gentle with but eventually my buttons started acting funny. lasted for a few months and eventually got bad enough i had to figure out what was going on. Imagine that, diagnosing a diagnostic tool. Well I figured out that the rear of the case was cracking at the screw holes that holds the unit together so the case was working its way apart. tool man finally had one he could use as a loaner so finally gave up my own for repairs. came back to me weeks later looking like a brand new unit with the new modis look of the raised screen. long after that went looking for the mini usb port for exchanging data and that is when i found out it wasn't a new unit only the new shell with the old board. made exchanging data a little more time consuming but still got the job done. I don't remember what the cost was to upgrade the board but remember that the extra perks did not outway the cost. I have never used a modis with the newer board but from what i have been told that little port is the only real big difference. I have had mine for so long that I can't remember when I bought it but its a pretty old unit. Still works great though. I feel bad that you may have been misled but if you can't do anything about it don't let it set you back. Once you get used to using it you will forget about that little glitch in your purchase.
      the more i learn, the more i realize what i really don't know
      http://www.hightechautoandtruck.com/

Geoffrey Bell
      Master Technician
      Dale City, VA

Comment

• Force of Nature
        • Jul 2008

Aautomaan is correct Hardwood. If the Modis does not have the mini USB port under the left handgrip, the Modis is an older model.

Force

Comment

• canfix auto
          • Oct 2008

ebay?

Originally posted by Hardwood

Thanks!
          Saw one on ebay a while ago with a simalar description, was it the same one? The descripition made it sound too good, anyways sorry to hear, but it should still do the the job. With 8.4 it just as up to date as the verus. happy scanning

Comment

• jrorl63
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

I believe if you were looking to upgrade the motherboard it would require a Level III repair which goes for $1050.00. See the flat rate repair guide found at diagnostics.snapon.com/information

Comment

Working...