Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kryton
    • Dec 2009

Fuel pump Control module-FPCM

So i've got a 2008 Cadillac Escalade that died out on the highway after a 2 hr drive. I retrieve 2 "system lean" codes and a P069E "Fuel pump module has requested M.I.L illumination" , hmmm. Mitchell says to read the codes from the FPCM (to determine what, specifically it had seen and didn't like). So I check the main menu & hmmm -NO Mention of a fuel pump control module in the list of available modules (Solus Pro w/ 13.2). Well that's just great....Checking the features of version 14.2 I don't see that this has been added either ? What gives ?
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

You are correct that the coverage is missing. Not sure why that module is not covered, but it isn't.
    Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

It's probably more or less called a module because it got a solid state board in it that controls a fuel pump speed. Like a fan module on a VW or CCRM on a Ford. In simplified terms, you can't communicate with some with a scanner they are modules of limited logic if any that basically are B@tches to other modules that incorporate more logic functions in them .

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

It's an independent module that's on the CAN network. I made mention of it's absence about 2 years ago. The strange thing is that it was in there for one update and then missing the next. See if this link goes anywhere http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...control+module

Comment

• Kryton
          • Dec 2009

Interesting , I was unaware that access had "come & gone" with different software updates. Anyone know if it was removed because of problems, or ??

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Access has not come and gone. It is there for other GMs, but not Cadillac. Cadillac coverage has never been as good for as it has been for all other GM car lines.

Joe
            Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
              It's an independent module that's on the CAN network. I made mention of it's absence about 2 years ago. The strange thing is that it was in there for one update and then missing the next. See if this link goes anywhere http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...control+module
              Yup, that link went back two and a half years to January-2012, and you pointed out that it should be included where applicable.......I guess the software developers didn't think the Cadillac was "applicable".......

We really should be able to EXPECT something like this to BE THERE in the first place rather than be disappointed and, for all intents and purposes, be HUNG-OUT-TO DRY the way Kryton was in this case.

They've had time to catch up on a six year old model, and they've had two and a half YEARS since it was brought to their attention.
              It's just sad and disappointing.

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

I'm not saying it was there for the Cadillac and then taken away. But I remember well the 2008 Suburban that was kicking my butt a few years ago and noticed the module was on the menu one day and after the update it was gone but I could still find it under another application (it's in the 14.2 version now). To be fair, I could never figure out the rhyme or reason where this module was used. For example an 08 Silverado with an LC9 does not have one but an 08 suburban with the same engine does.

Comment

• Kryton
                  • Dec 2009

Am I right in believing that the FPCM is only used on returnless fuel systems ? Secondly, are there some returnless systems that do not use an FPCM ?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                    Snap-on DSD
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
                    To be fair, I could never figure out the rhyme or reason where this module was used. For example an 08 Silverado with an LC9 does not have one but an 08 suburban with the same engine does.
                    I think in the early days of the FPCM it was only used on vehicles that had the multiple cylinder kill option (whatever the name was). Now it is widely used.

Joe
                    Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

I'm not a Brainbox Surgeon

I'll Google the part, if I see that it's not real expensive to replace it and that GM had a recall on some 2009 models for the FPCM already.If I'm in a good mood I might visually check the grounds , power and connectors at module and fuel pump before I sell the pump and module together.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-20759945-Control-Module-Assembly/dp/B003YO9OF6/ref=au_pf_ss_3/188-8547178-7865518?ie=UTF8&Make=Cadillac|46&Model=Escalade%20 EXT|23453&Year=2008|2008&carId=&n=15684181&s=autom otive

Also tell the guy not to back the boat trailer so deep into the water because you're too damn lazy to crank your trailer winch.

Comment

Working...