Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Modis User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 11-05-2018, 01:56 PM

Steve6911 You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
I delete my Max Cyst history clutter after 6 months, I could save the Sh@t to Cloud , but no need for any cloud, unless the cloud be coming off some good Sh@t
Folk been sending Pre Scan and Post scan reports in PDF form directly to customers email since 2013 and the Cyst Pro is already discontinued History and no longer made. I have seen a lot of videos and I love the Zeus and the Edge but probably not be able to keep the update subscription current to keep all the features that make it cool to continue to function ::rolleyes

Well that might be fine for you but some people like to keep their files, and with this feature it will help keep "clutter" off of the tool and pc while still retaining those files.

Also this was a post about a member having trouble setting up he's Altusdrive so why are we once again bringing up your Autel???
Old 11-05-2018, 02:39 PM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I just see the potential Security benefit of a Second Party Cloud based database for possibly auto filling in your customer's private phone #s , e-mail , or address based on the VIN #so any tech working for you can't just see it, and it could serve as a safe guard or making sure the uploaded files contain no virus or malware from an infected Windows based tablet that could potentially infect a customer's PC.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:49 PM

Steve6911 You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
I just see the potential Security benefit of a Second Party Cloud based database for possibly auto filling in your customer's private phone #s , e-mail , or address based on the VIN #so any tech working for you can't just see it, and it could serve as a safe guard or making sure the uploaded files contain no virus or malware from an infected Windows based tablet that could potentially infect a customer's PC.

This is what my tools print out, maybe the Zeus is different.

VSR.JPG

I see NO security issues here. Also I don't own the shop I work at but if any tech here couldn't be trusted to see customer information I wouldn't want them working ANY car here. They would be let go real fast.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I see NO security issues here. Also I don't own the shop I work at but if any tech here couldn't be trusted to see customer information I wouldn't want them working ANY car here. They would be let go real fast.
I agree with you , but a large shop with a lot of techs , you never know which of your really good ones are ready to quit and move on anyhow and open their own repair shop 4 blocks away and take a good chunk of your shop's customer base along with them . Do you really want to make it easy for these good guys along with any Bad Apples , take advantage of your customer info readily displayed on their copies of the RO's and the shop's go to Snap On Scan Tools displays all their contact information and address along side the car information also ? I do not see that information on the printed scan, but not sure if the email or phone number needs to be entered first to send out the reports . You just never know, but even if the customer information was not put on mechanic's copy of the RO or on the Scan tool information for privacy reasons, chances are the tech has go digging through tampons for a wheel lock key or RPO code sticker, or a fuse location of owners manual, so any withheld info typically be staring him in the face anyhow, lol.

Last edited by Witsend; 11-05-2018 at 05:48 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Also this was a post about a member having trouble setting up he's Altusdrive so why are we once again bringing up your Autel???
I'm not singing praises for any particular brand of Scanners, they all can be a POS at times and test your mettle not want to punch a hole in the screen.Lol. It's a nice feature to be able to send out a before and after scan report but I think most of competitor tools also have the capability to send a pdf of a scan report directly to the customer or save to cloud without going through a second party website.
I am just trying to rationalize the thinking of Snap On of why it's set up to go through a second party site?
A) Data collection of commonality of fault codes per make model car and the part or repair notes of what the fix was?
B) All reports and attached files uploaded from the Windows based scantools to this web site will be additionally scanned for for any trace of Malware or a Virus as a extra safeguard against liability for both your shop and Snap On?
C)Moving to eventually Integration, The Vehicle information, Service Information, Diagnostic tool, and customer information protection soon be offered as one pay as you go shop package ?
The big question is...drum roll please... As a Individual with a Zeus , Not a Shop Owner with a go to Shop System for his employees, When 18.4 is over and 19.2 comes out and you aren't paying to update the platform further for awhile, Will this ability to e mail a scan report to the customer just time out and you only have a certain window of time to download all your rain cloud information before Zeus Lightening strikes and you no longer access your cloud information stored at this site or find an easy work around to send out scan reports any longer ?

Last edited by Witsend; 11-06-2018 at 07:24 AM..
Old 11-06-2018, 09:41 AM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Who cares about scan reports when THIS kind of thing happens-??

Undocumented code-???
REALLY-??
It's not that big a deal accessing the "cloud". Some people want it, they paid for it, they should get it.

Witsend has a very valid point. What happens when one stops paying extortion fees for "cloud" access-??
If the FORD scan tool doesn't see internet access, to THEIR website, THE TOOL NO LONGER FUNCTIONS-!!
The "mining" of information sent up is probably in the fine print that you'd need an electron microscope to read....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181105_125717.jpg (262.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Folk still need to know, after update expiration if there be a simple work around where you can just send a slightly less polished turd report by bluetooth file to your smart phone and just send to customer by your Smart Phone?
Crusty, Is that image where the code shows as undocumented with exclamation mark from an 18.4 tool code report or an OE Ford tool when the internet access is turned off? If you re- scan it with the internet connected , then it will display the code definition?:-(

Last edited by Witsend; 11-06-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Old 11-06-2018, 01:02 PM

GypsyR Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

No, it doesn't matter if the internet is connected. With the latest and greatest all updated we still see that "undocumented". What amuses me no end is to see that and that back off down to the old school "Troubleshooting" section for that module. Then look up tips by code. Lo and behold! Often as not, that code will npot only be there and defined there will be some info on what might have caused it.

Yep, "undocumented". Derp.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:29 PM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Folk still need to know, after update expiration if there be a simple work around where you can just send a slightly less polished turd report by bluetooth file to your smart phone and just send to customer by your Smart Phone?
Crusty, Is that image where the code shows as undocumented with exclamation mark from an 18.4 tool code report or an OE Ford tool when the internet access is turned off? If you re- scan it with the internet connected , then it will display the code definition?:-(
That's from an "All Module Scan", or vehicle report from my Modis.
No internet required for the tool to function, unlike many OE tools these days.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
No, it doesn't matter if the internet is connected. With the latest and greatest all updated we still see that "undocumented". What amuses me no end is to see that and that back off down to the old school "Troubleshooting" section for that module. Then look up tips by code. Lo and behold! Often as not, that code will npot only be there and defined there will be some info on what might have caused it.

Yep, "undocumented". Derp.
My point is, the uploading of some kind of all module scan, or vehicle report, which has the emissions monitors information as being complete or incomplete, isn't of much use if the machine doesn't recognize what are really very well "documented" codes, and shows them as "undocumented".
So much for the completeness of the "vehicle report".
When one goes into the ABS module for the 2009 GM vehicle, the scanner identifies the codes properly, so it's not as if the scanner isn't capable of recognizing the codes....and reporting them PROPERLY.

As for actually performing a complete and proper all module scan, or "vehicle report", the Tech-II has done it on a 2001 Venture for the last couple of decades, but sadly, our new state-of-the-art scanners don't-!!

Who really gives a rats pitoot about "cloud" anyway.
Once it's on the tool, it can be EASILY put onto a computer hard drive. Once it's there, on my own hard drive I'm not reliant on anyone else's "system".
Cell phone picture. Sent via email. Hey Mr Jones, we found something that needs further investigation. Would you like us to continue-??
Simple.
K.I.S.S.

But, since the original poster paid for it to function, Captain Picard would say "make it so".
Spock would have it functioning properly in about 3 seconds.