Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • supertech1158
    • Aug 2012

Using Microscan

Just got my Microscan last week and getting familiar with it. I hooked it up to my first car yesterday and pulled up everything I needed to look at. Wanted to get it home and use ShopStream to get a better idea what I was dealing with. When I got home and hooked it up it had not saved any data off the vehicle. Since I could not find the option to save the vehicle when it was hooked up I assumed it would automatically save it. How do I save the information to my Microscan?
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

The Microscan is not that kind of scanner. You get to pull codes, see some live data, and save about 60 frames. Vehicle history is in the upper line of scanners. Maybe the Ethos would be a better fit for you. Your Snappy Rep should have assessed your needs prior to selling you a device. Good luck.
    S. Breland

Comment

• supertech1158
      • Aug 2012

I appreciate the response. I did my own research on both the Ethos and Microscan prior to purchase, and for my needs and budget the Microscan was a better fit. One of the listings for Microscan said "stores information for up to 25 different vehicles", but I guess all it meant was a few freeze frames as you said. Still, am having trouble even just being able to do that. Is there a detailed tutorial available anywhere for the microscan and/or using shopstream?Ive downloaded the pitiful users manual snap-on provides online and did not find it extremely helpful.

Comment

• Snap-on_ULTRA
        • Jul 2012

I also did like you, I bought microscan pro and did not like it, code description is too big so if you got more than one code they won't fit on a screen so you got to go down to see all the codes and because screen is so small they don't give you full description.
        So I sold it and for the same price got Autel MD802, it has bigger color screen, two code descriptions fit the full screen with full description, I/M readiness with full description plus it does read the codes on other modules not just generic obd2. I don't like chinese tools but snap on did a bad job with microscan, thats why they did not want to put snap on brand on the unit but instead bluepoint.

Comment

• sandt38
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Snap-on_ULTRA
          I also did like you, I bought microscan pro and did not like it, code description is too big so if you got more than one code they won't fit on a screen so you got to go down to see all the codes and because screen is so small they don't give you full description.
          So I sold it and for the same price got Autel MD802, it has bigger color screen, two code descriptions fit the full screen with full description, I/M readiness with full description plus it does read the codes on other modules not just generic obd2. I don't like chinese tools but snap on did a bad job with microscan, thats why they did not want to put snap on brand on the unit but instead bluepoint.
          The microscan is a codereader on crack. The pricepoint is fair. A coworker of mine paid a lot more for a Matco tool that is quite similar to it. You could have spent $150 for a code reader with a couple OBDII PIDs on a screen, but you got quite a bit more for your money.

The bottom line is, it is a $350 tool. It is not going to compete with entry level scanners that cost 2 grand. It has it's place, but don't expect huge things from it. There is a reason why tools cost what they do. Sure, a name will inflate cost, but if you step into a name like SnapOn at $350 for a scanner, don't expect the capabilities of a $2000 Ethos, or a $4000 Solus.

For someone with such distaste for SnapOn and love for Autel, you sure claim to own or use to have owned several SnapOn scanners. With all your disappointments why not buy from another company?

Finally, when Autel shuts down, which they will as they steal software and break all US patent laws, what will you do with tools that can no longer be updated?
          Last edited by sandt38; 08-30-2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Snap-on_ULTRA
            • Jul 2012

For someone with such distaste for SnapOn and love for Autel, you sure claim to own or use to have owned several SnapOn scanners. With all your disappointments why not buy from another company?

Finally, when Autel shuts down, which they will as they steal software and break all US patent laws, what will you do with tools that can no longer be updated?
            First of all Blue Point Microscan is NOT snap on brand, so quit attacking me here because I am not anti snap on scanners. Snap on dealers who drive in your shop with big snap on truck sell autel out of their snap on trucks. When I was selling my Microscan on ebay because I did not like it, I listed it as "snap on" brand, it was there one day and ebay removed it because someone from snap on contacted ebay and when ebay deleted my auction it said in description:

Your item was removed because of a request we received from Snap-On Incorporated (US), a member of our Verified Rights Owner Program (VeRO), asking us to remove the item for:

- Listing(s) contains unlawful comparison to trademark owner's brand name.

If you have additional questions or concerns on why your item was removed, please contact Snap-On Incorporated (US) directly at:

channelprotection@snapon.com

Please allow 7 days for Snap-On Incorporated (US) to reply to you.
            Microscan is NOT Snap-on brand so I deserve apology from you sandt38

So sense snap on is not selling any low level snap on brand scanners then what is wrong with pointing out to some cheap china scanner?

Comment

• sbreland73
              • Jan 2009

I too got a Microscan, and after a few weeks, decided it was not the tool for me. I wanted something small, quick, easy to read, grab codes, look at a few generic PIDS, and that's it. I hated having to "de-select" all the available PIDS just to view 2 or 3. I too sold mine on ebay (no complaints from Snappy) and got the Launch cReaderVI. For what it is, I think it's great. Quick view of IM readiness, can graph a few PIDS, has a data base of OEM code descriptions, all for half the price of the Microscan. I have been told, and do believe, that the Microscan was designed for a niche market of shops or Techs that just need something quick and easy. In my opinion, it was not quick nor easy.

My Dealer also sells the Launch readers, by request, and keeps a few on his truck. He tells me that he sells more of those than the Microscan.

Supertech, is this the manual you found? =

www1.snapon.com/display/3791/User_Manual.pdf

I am not aware of any other info, as I no longer own this device. Good Luck.
              Last edited by sbreland73; 08-30-2012, 10:14 PM.
              S. Breland

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by sandt38
                The bottom line is, it is a $350 tool. It is not going to compete with entry level scanners that cost 2 grand. It has it's place, but don't expect huge things from it. There is a reason why tools cost what they do. Sure, a name will inflate cost, but if you step into a name like SnapOn at $350 for a scanner, don't expect the capabilities of a $2000 Ethos, or a $4000 Solus.

Finally, when Autel shuts down, which they will as they steal software and break all US patent laws, what will you do with tools that can no longer be updated ?
                I am not supporting any arguement here, but I can say I know why the Microscan came about. I asked the Microscan product manager "why?". He came back with the fact that some market research showed there was a market for a small, fit-in-your-pocket tool that was capable of not only reading codes but gathering data and recording it. And, he was right.

Some small shops just use it as a back-up for thier Modis or Solus or whatever. What if you only need to set readiness monitors on a repaired vehicle? Do you really need a full blown scanner? For shops with only one scanner, this takes some of the pressure off and allows another tech to continue diagnosing.

To me, the real strength of Microscan is Shopstream Connect playback capability. You really cannot tell the difference between a Microscan recording and a Modis recording during playback on SSC. So, for example if a tech wants to test drive and watch the road he simply sets up his Microscan to record and uses a custom data list (as we all should do anyhow) and make a recording and plays it back in the comfort of his home or shop office or the top of his toolbox.

Who else has a program as sophisticated as SSC? Not Launch, Autel or others.

True, the factory scanners all have the capabilities now, and the Tech2, Techstream and others are truly awesome programs.

Now a word about Autel. The graphing is horrible, absolutely terrible. it autoranges and re-averages constantly. The sweep time is not adjustable. Launch is just as bad? I think so. The real strength of Autel is the "cloned" software.

"Finally, when Autel shuts down,"

I have to agree with that possibility. Snap-on pays for the rights and gets technical assistance from the auto manufacturers, so figure that in the cost. Autel just copies the code, and clones it. Do all scanner companies "reverse engineer". You bet. Do they have rights? I don't think so.

So, getting back to the Microscan, it is what it is. A low cost, data recorder, scanner and code reader. No shop should ever rely on a tool that simple for all thier diagnostics. Just use it as a supplement. It fits the bill and can be had easily from you Snap-on dealer. Support is important also.

Autel, what support? Launch? Good luck...

Thanks for hearing me out.

Bob

Comment

• Stephenizzy
                  • Nov 2015

Don't waste your money get a MaxiDia Elite MD802 from Autel, might not last as long but far more useful and cheaper and will soon pay for itself, Unless you are a diehard snap on mug and will have to say I was, plus you can get yearly updates. I wasn't going to go to Chinese stuff but it works, but saying that brought a blue point air hammer off snapon van and guess what made in china, just had a look at the back of my microscan and guess what assembled in China, so bet Ā£ to a penny everything in it come from China probably made in the same factory as Autel.

Comment

• aajim@hotmail.com
                    • May 2015

I Like My Micro Scan I have had it for a 2 years now and I use it all the time. It won't replace a full function scanner but it is good for pulling codes, clearing codes. The data pids are very slow unless you just look at a few at a time, and customizing the list is kind of a pain, but I have found many uses for it when I don't want to or can't get to the Snap on Scanner. I use it a lot to just clear codes I have set doing services or testing and I use it to monitor temperature because it gives the obd2 real temp reading

Comment

• user00293
                      • Dec 2014

i purchased a slightly use pre-owned III that still had the plastic cover on the LCD screen.

However when I connected it to a 98 Jeep and went into live data mode it took forever to load live data. Slower than an Innova 3140 I use to have and slower than my MT2500.

Another problem I ran into is I've haven't yet found any method to save a customized live data screen. Previous scanners I've own one could save at least one customized live data display.

While trying to customize the screen the Microscan III would sometimes lock up and to respond to the touch screen so needed to disconnect and re-connect the obd2 connector.

My Jeep's PCM doesn't have an OBD2 read VIN function. So I'm thinking the Microscan III may behave differently if it's able to determine the VIN?

When used with a 98 OBD2 Jeep there are no vehicle specifics that the scanner aware of such as vehicle manufacture, make, model, engine, etc.

I think perhaps one can pickup an obd2 scanner for around ~$50.00 that works better than the Microscan III as far as loading and displaying live data and DTCs, clearing codes, etc.

I also notice the response of changes of live data such as rpms, etc. seemed to be slower that other scanners I've owned such as the Innova 3140 and Snap-On MT2500.

I'll check it out and test again, however I'm wondering if the scanner is defective or this is normal behavior?

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

I got a cheap basic Harbor Freight Cen-Tech OBDII +ABS for a quick generic codes , data and graphing. I can't imagine it would be worth my time to screw with the Rig A ma rowing a recording of a Pid to windows PC program just to see some crude graph from a POS code scanner larger on a Windows PC program.It's not going to turn a pid recording from cheap Turd scan tool into a high quality graphing meter or oscilloscope.

Comment

• user00293
                          • Dec 2014

I finally got the Microscan III working sort of. It started to connect and display the live data faster.

Yeah as far as generic OBD2 scanners are concerned the market is full them many with live data. I think you can find them for around ~$35.00 and less.

Some people are switching to a bluetooth or wifi elm327 OBD2 module and using it with the android phone or tablet. There are free and low cost OBD2 Android Apps online. So you can monitor OBD with your cell phone while driving. Some are more sophisticated than others.

e.g. OBD Fusion® is an app for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Android

OBD Fusion is the best selling OBD2 diagnostics app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch (iOS). It has a ton of features and now includes support for CarPlay!

However I purchased the Microscan III to replace my broken Innova OBD1/OBD2 scanner I paid around $200.00 for years ago.

I have a couple of OBD1 vehicles an 88 and 92 Ford. I also help a friend that has a 92 OBD1 Cherokee Laredo. Also there are Renix Jeeps in production from 86 to 90 that use some sort of Renix (AMC/renault) computer that actually produces live readout using a Snap-On MT2500 scanner.

I'm going to test the OBD1 functionality of the Bluepoint Microscan III to determine if it's at least as good as the MT2500. (i'm waiting for the OBD1 cable to arrive which when purchased new by itself is around ~$40.00 with tax.) Snap-On OBD1 connector sets new can be expensive ranging from around $150.00 to over $350.00. Once in a while the $150.00 obd1 connector set is for sale online on ebay or other for around $80.00. There are similar OBD1 connectors from other scanner manufacture however I'm uncertain if any are compatible with Snap-Ons. Person here in the forum said it would be possible to brick you scanner trying to use another brand obd1 adapter. So far I've picked up a few Snap-On obd1 adapters that can be used with the MT2500 and also the Microscan III.

OBD1 functionality was one of the reason for purchasing the Microscan III.

As for having an actual scanner that is able to access the computer on any Chrysler vehicle you will need to spend around $6K new for a DRB-3 handheld scanner. I know people who own them and there an actual diagnostic scanner with lots of capabilities including reprogramming the PCM. I suppose you can find a used one for around ~$3K or less depends on how many attachments it has. There are other scanner manufactures that produce scanners with DRB-3 compatibly.

Yeah I don't know about the ShopStream Connect. They have photos and video online showing it doing all sorts of what appears to be analysis with high resolution graphs etc.

All so far I've seen it produce are some small low res bmp files.

Perhaps it's not worth the money Blue-Point asking new for it? Used ones have sold from around ~$110 to ~$150.00
                          Last edited by user00293; 07-10-2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...