X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottjh9
    • Dec 2015

New to site and mt2500

Hello to all

i am new to the site but have been reading posts for about 3 weeks. I recently bought a mt2500 scanner version 2.2 with the programmable vci and tsi cartridges for 80 bucks at a pawn shop. I always wanted one for myself and to help others if I can. I am still learning all it can do and I am slowly piecing it together for my needs. I have spent about 100 more for some keys and adapters and manuals and I am looking for a can 1b adapter if someone might want to sell it. All that I have read on the site so far is very informative. I have big diesel as my background so most of my questions will be as a learner. My first is; when I boot up the scanner with both carts installed should the scanner recognize the tsi cartridge and display it as a menu option? Looking forward to learning from everyone. Oh, by the way I have 6 different instruction manuals I am still reading and try them first as not to ask a question that will waste your time. Thanks for having me..Scott
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Troubleshooter should load and appear as an option as long as it is relevant to the year you are IDing.
    For Example:
    If your Primary Cartridge is good through 2005
    And your Troubleshooter Cartridge is good through 2001

If you ID'd a 99 Ford the Troubleshooter would appear on the Main Menu.
    If you ID'd a 2003 Ford, the scanner would still function on that vehicle, but the Troubleshooter would not appear on the menu.

Also, so you know, either cartridge can go in either slot, and the scanner will function just fine with the Troubleshooter Cartridge missing.

Have fun with your new toy.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Joe, I'm going to rely on your dog years of experience with this question.

The software version scottjh9 has is 2.2

The current numbering system shows the year as the numbers before the decimal point and the numbers after the decimal point show either 2 (2nd quarter of the year release) or, 4 (4th quarter of the year release)

This would make his software version 2002, 2nd quarter release (April of 2002)

Would that be why the 2003 Ford you exampled won't show in the troubleshooter-?? (I'm just trying to clarify for others the software version numbering so others don't get confused about coverage in the tool)

scottjh9, welcome to the forums. Ask away-!! Good people here.

Comment

• scottjh9
        • Dec 2015

Thanks already

I do not think my troubleshooter is working. I have tried a lot of combinations of vehicle makes and still nothing.. Both the vci and tsi cartridge are copy-rite 2004. Maybe the tsi cart is wiped blank. I have inspected it with a mag glass and find nothing out of the ordinary as far as burns or shorts. I will keep experimenting.....Scott

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by scottjh9
          Thanks already

I do not think my troubleshooter is working. I have tried a lot of combinations of vehicle makes and still nothing.. Both the vci and tsi cartridge are copy-rite 2004. Maybe the tsi cart is wiped blank. I have inspected it with a mag glass and find nothing out of the ordinary as far as burns or shorts. I will keep experimenting.....Scott
          It is a very old piece of kit. I don't have an answer for you at this point.

Try this link. It's from this site and has manuals you could at least read up on some stuff. HTH.

------

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
            Joe, I'm going to rely on your dog years of experience with this question.

The software version scottjh9 has is 2.2

The current numbering system shows the year as the numbers before the decimal point and the numbers after the decimal point show either 2 (2nd quarter of the year release) or, 4 (4th quarter of the year release)

This would make his software version 2002, 2nd quarter release (April of 2002)

Would that be why the 2003 Ford you exampled won't show in the troubleshooter-?? (I'm just trying to clarify for others the software version numbering so others don't get confused about coverage in the tool)

scottjh9, welcome to the forums. Ask away-!! Good people here.
            Hi Crusty,
            I was just using made up numbers when I made my example. Unlike newer scanners that have a single update, the MT2500 cartridge system allows them to be purchased separately. It would be possible to have a scanner update for 2002 and a Troubleshooter for 1997, or any other combination as long as the Primary is newer than Troubleshooter.
            Also, don't ever trust what the cartridges say on them. Put them in the scanner and power it up to see what years are covered.

Joe
            Henry Ford

Comment

• scottjh9
              • Dec 2015

Thanks Crusty

Everything on that page is post mt2500. I really do not mind if the tsi cart does not work. If I am worth my weight as a mechanic then I should be able to fix the problem the scanner finds and I also feel I will be able to use the vast knowledge available here on this site. This is going to be fun. Looking forward to the challenge.....Scott

Comment

• crackerclicker
                • May 2008

The 2.2 version is a hardware version. It simply means you have a unit with backlighting. I don't recall much about the TSI, but I do believe it worked as Joe described. Also, it should be noted that the TSI was capable of being updated to somewhere around the 8.2 or 8.4 version while the VCI's final version was the 9.2 offering.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Any old retired Snap On Dealers still doing Boot Legacy Updating of Black Cartridges to 9.2 for a hundred bucks?

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by scottjh9
                    Thanks Crusty

Everything on that page is post mt2500. I really do not mind if the tsi cart does not work. If I am worth my weight as a mechanic then I should be able to fix the problem the scanner finds and I also feel I will be able to use the vast knowledge available here on this site. This is going to be fun. Looking forward to the challenge.....Scott
                    The scanners have a lot of similarities so sometimes there is a snippet of info that helps.

The other fellows have some good comments, and Joe is particularly knowledgeable and on target 99.9999% of the time ( )

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                      Hi Crusty,
                      I was just using made up numbers when I made my example. Unlike newer scanners that have a single update, the MT2500 cartridge system allows them to be purchased separately. It would be possible to have a scanner update for 2002 and a Troubleshooter for 1997, or any other combination as long as the Primary is newer than Troubleshooter.
                      Also, don't ever trust what the cartridges say on them. Put them in the scanner and power it up to see what years are covered.

Joe
                      Thanks for the clarification Joe. I still remember (and still have my Brick) changing chips inside my cartridges. Sometimes the chips came with sticker labels for the outside of the cartridge but sometimes they didn't.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                        Snap-on DSD
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                        Any old retired Snap On Dealers still doing Boot Legacy Updating of Black Cartridges to 9.2 for a hundred bucks?
                        Not possible. If the last update for them was still available, I'm sure Snap-on would sell a few. But not too many I suppose. So many folks loved that scanner. I was great when it was released.

Joe
                        Henry Ford

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                          Snap-on DSD
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
                          and Joe is particularly knowledgeable and on target 99.9999% of the time ( )
                          I doubt my success ratio is that high. I remember making apologies more than once for saying something that wasn't right. The last one was a guy asking about Snap Link software. I thought he was referring to Scan Graf-X.
                          Steve straightened me out through a PM. He should have smacked me down on the forum here. :-)

Joe
                          Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
                            • Dec 2007

I doubt my success ratio is that high. I remember making apologies more than once for saying something that wasn't right. The last one was a guy asking about Snap Link software. I thought he was referring to Scan Graf-X.
                            Steve straightened me out through a PM. He should have smacked me down on the forum here. :-)

Joe
                            LOL... Mark it on the calendar Joe.....I was being (god forbid-!!)....NICE....

As for Steve smacking you down on the forum....what do you think this is-?? IATN-???

Comment

• Ecomike
                              • May 2016

New car on older cartridges?

Will a 97 set of GM... cartridges work at all on a 2001 Saturn SL-1 if I by pass the VIN code Id entry? Is there a way to get some basic use where the 01 is nearly the same as say a 96? Can I just tell the brick it is a 97?

Troubleshooter should load and appear as an option as long as it is relevant to the year you are IDing.
                              For Example:
                              If your Primary Cartridge is good through 2005
                              And your Troubleshooter Cartridge is good through 2001

If you ID'd a 99 Ford the Troubleshooter would appear on the Main Menu.
                              If you ID'd a 2003 Ford, the scanner would still function on that vehicle, but the Troubleshooter would not appear on the menu.

Also, so you know, either cartridge can go in either slot, and the scanner will function just fine with the Troubleshooter Cartridge missing.

Have fun with your new toy.

Joe

Comment

Working...