Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjwiseman07
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by mjwiseman07
    I appreciate all of the help. Well after talking with the snap on guy about the error code I noticed late last night "An error occured 101 evex" he said this is a common problem with the motherboard so I am sending it back and getting my money back.

However just got a crazy deal on a Solus Pro with euro asia domestic with 14.4 case, rechargeable batteries, all adapters and keys for 600 just seemed awesome. Checked it out and it works great. Any thoughts on the Solus Pro in comparsion to the regular Solus? Is it alot better? Appreciate all of the help!

Thanks

Matthew
    HAHA yeah that was a mistype sorry I paid 933.62 to be exact for mine HAHA so I wish but a mistype. Too clarify the transmission place I met the snap on guy at this morning was doing the same update I intended to for 549 for 14.4(half off and then 15.2 free) when they heard my scanner was shot he offered that scanner to me and I took advantage of it. Plus I was able to see it work before I bought it plus they bought it off of that Snap on dealer. 600 would be nice. Sorry about that when I first read your post I was like 600 then I realized what I did.

Is that scanner alot better than the regular solus though?
    Last edited by mjwiseman07; 03-24-2015, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• mjwiseman07
      • Mar 2015

That makes me nervous about buying scanners from ebay now is there a way to confirm if it has been stolen. just contact a snap on dealer? particulary the solus I was just talking about with the bad board. I believe I will call that snap on guy back and find out. That is a good point. I have a vantage pro that I got a crazy deal on off of ebay so will be checking thanks for the info.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Is that scanner a lot better than the regular solus though?
        Yes, from what I've read, seems Crusty swears by his Solus Pro, (not at it)

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
          Yes, from what I've read, seems Crusty swears by his Solus Pro, (not at it)
          The only time I swear at it is WHEN THE SAVED MOVIES DON'T PLAY BACK in ShopStream Connect.
          They're getting better at this issue but it keeps coming up year after year. After they fix it I wish they would keep it fixed.....

The only other issue that is current is if you happen to knock the connector under the dash loose and it tells you that it has "lost communication", when you plug back in the previous data that was stored in the buffer is GONE.
          They fixed that back with either 10.2 or 10.4 but it's buggered up again and they don't seem to think it's important. Lost data from a cold start is lost data until you shut the vehicle off and wait 24-hours and hope the ambient conditions are the same tomorrow-!!

The screen shots are selectable for either BMP or JPG on the Solus-PRO and the JPG screen shots are less than 100 kilobytes. The screen shots from the Solus-ULTRA are a humungous 751 KB Bitmaps which WASTE a LOT of space on my hard drives.

While the personality keys used with the Solus-PRO are a bit of a PITA the machine itself is a rock solid platform. Screen shots are saved in less than one second and movies are saved in about 3 seconds or less. (NOT so with the Solus-ULTRA).

Ya, the screen size is a wee bit small but just save the files to your PC-hard drive and use SSC (Shop Stream Connect). You can do SOOOOO much more with SSC to analyse your data than you can on any of the hand held devices or scanners.

The Solus-PRO and the Vantage-PRO are good all around reliable tools (as long as they don't mess up a release)

Comment

• SPS10.4
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by mjwiseman07

Any thoughts on the Solus Pro in comparsion to the regular Solus? Is it alot better?
            There is no comparison. I think the SOLUS Pro will go down in history as the most stable and dependable SOLUS platform. No CF or SD card required to boot, removable rechargeable battery pack, and the rugged build all make the Pro a true shop tool. You got a great deal on a great tool!

Comment

• mjwiseman07
              • Mar 2015

I appreciate all of the information it is very helpful. Getting ready to start going to different shops in the area to diagnose vehicles so really appreciate the information.

Thanks

Matthew

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

You do have to remember that it is an aftermarket scan tool. There is no one scanner that will be all things to all vehicles.
                Plug into your own vehicle every day. Save the sixty or so, screen shots and movies, to INTERNAL. Then move all the files to a USB stick after EACH road test.
                Now the machine is ready for the next vehicle.
                Create a folder system that makes sense to YOU and sort the files from the USB stick on your computer. Create sub-folders and then probably more sub folders.
                Download the Shop-Stream Connect (SSC) program from this site to your computer to view and analyse the data you save. It's MUCH better than trying to view it all on the scanner screen.

Just yesterday it was EASY to plug into a 24 year old Pre-OBD-II vehicle simply by changing to the GM-12-pin connector and a power cable for the connector.

Change the connector back again and it's ready for an OBD-II 16-pin vehicle.

THERE ARE HOLES IN THE COVERAGE-!!! Don't get caught with your pants down.
                I wish they would devote more time to correcting their software instead of coming up with another new tool every couple of years.
                The Solus-PRO has some distinct advantages vs the Solus-ULTRA and vice-versa. The Solus-EDGE is their FOURTH incarnation of the Solus name. I would probably bet the Solus-EDGE has lost some capabilities compared to some of the older platforms. I just don't have an extra 5 grand to experiment-!!!
                Last edited by Crusty; 03-25-2015, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• mjwiseman07
                  • Mar 2015

I went to Nascar Techincal Institute(2008 to 2010) and the Solus Pro is what I was trained on I just never used the Solus. But my professor was like you he swears by it. I keep up with him some and as far as I know he still uses it. I am just glad to finally be able to afford to buy the Pro. I am not anywhere near as good as you all but I do decent and look to guys like you all to learn from. That folder idea is a really good I am going to do that I can see where that would be handy. I have 5 garages in this area that I fixed cars for and they want me to start looking at some cars they need further diagnostics for on the side. I can see where that information would be very useful.

It seems it would save them money to develop the software and hold with a stable platform for a while like the Solus Pro instead of the R&D on a new scanner and new software for those but I can see advantages to both. Greatly appreciate all of the information. Curious though the one I got is called a Solus Pro Chrome is it the same as the regular Solus Pro just a different case. The model number is the same so I was just curious? It all seems the same really cannot tell a difference.

Thanks

Matthew
                  Last edited by mjwiseman07; 03-25-2015, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Modis500
                    • Sep 2012

So the 15.2 will be the last update for the Solus, is that right? What timetable can we expect on our Solus Pros? It's my backup tool with 11.4, but if they're going to drop that coverage, many of us might be interested in that info. And for that matter, any rumors when Modis stops getting updates as well?
                    Thanks guys
                    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
                    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• mjwiseman07
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Modis500
                      So the 15.2 will be the last update for the Solus, is that right? What timetable can we expect on our Solus Pros? It's my backup tool with 11.4, but if they're going to drop that coverage, many of us might be interested in that info. And for that matter, any rumors when Modis stops getting updates as well?
                      Thanks guys
                      I just talked with the snap on guy today 15.2 is the last update for the Solus. I asked him about the Solus Pro and he said in his opinion he thought that scanner would still be serviced for a while. Not sure on the modis though. I also got that same answer from tech support in regards to the Solus.

I just noticed you were from Moorseville been awhile since I was down there I enjoyed the school greatly.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                        Snap-on DSD
                        • Aug 2007

The Solus Pro was introduced in July 2007. It's only 8'years old. The Solus was really hurting on processor speed. The Solus Pro and Modis are way better off in that department.
                        That said, any predictions on scanner support on our part is just speculation though.
                        That's my 2 cents. (Actual,street value)

Joe
                        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                        Henry Ford

Comment

Working...