X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maui
    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
    NO KIDDING

Or maybe I missed something he never said ?
    Thanks for the input fellas.

No...I think that I have covered this without leaving anything out, but since I know very little about the internal workings of these scanners, I can't say for certain that I have not missed anything. Or some thing like that.

As for the intermittent connection through out the years goes, well, it would not connect every now and then for what seemed like no rime or reason. Disconnect the cable, or wiggle the key and it would connect. I am not disputing that this could have been a sign of trouble, but if it was, it sure took a long time before it failed, and in my experience, electronics don't take years before failing.

The reason that I stopped by is a follow up...of sorts.

Let me make it clear before I start that I do understand that the Modis and the solus are 2 different machines. With that said, the Modis that I purchased was taking what seemed like a really long time loading.

Since I do have the master CF card for it, I decided that a system restore was in order. Now it could be my imagination, but the machine does seem as if it is loading faster, and performing better than it was before the system restore was run..

Also, and this is why I'm posting this in with my Solus troubles, the previous vehicle history was wiped clean from the Modis after the system restore was run, where nothing had changed and the previous vehicle history remained after running the system restore on the Solus.

I could also see the progress of the 6 files being refreshed/downloaded on the Modis, where the Solus had no activity during that faze of the restore process.

I have no idea whether the Solus has the same programming as the Modis when it is running the system restore or not, but I thought that I'd mention these results/observations.

Now I'm wondering if the Solus would have been repairable if I had had the original master CF card.

Oh well.

aloha.

Comment

• bsdkllr
      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Maui
      Thanks for the link.

I was looking at another thread where the guy seems as he is having the same issue.
      I didn't want to hijack the thread, but I did ask one question in response to a question the was asked about whether or not the scanner stopped working while in use, or if it was working on one vehicle and not the next.

Mine had intermittent connection problems on and off for years before it finally quit altogether.

Another person said they had found a microcontroller( NEC D78C10AGF) that was causing trouble, but did not give any further information as to what the trouble was, or what effect it had on the scanners performance.

Anyone have any theories on what this microcontroller does, or if it could cause the problem at hand?

It appears that the part can be found fairly easily, replacing it is another story.

aloha.
      i have 2 with the faulty chip. one drops out with a c101 error immediately and the other will try and connect but never actually connect. however it is triggering some lines as it turns relays on when i try and connect it.

i have new chips coming this week. will let you know how it goes. (Shipping from china can be slow)

Comment

• Maui
        • Feb 2018

[QUOTE=bsdkllr;60541]

it is triggering some lines as it turns relays on when i try and connect it.

QUOTE]

aloha, and thanks for the input.

I do not understand. What relays are being triggered?

aloha.

Comment

• bsdkllr
          • Jan 2018

it was relays on the car. its an old 88 jeep. so it was trying to initiate communication but the cant read it.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

i have 2 with the faulty chip. one drops out with a c101 error immediately and the other will try and connect but never actually connect. however it is triggering some lines as it turns relays on when i try and connect it.

i have new chips coming this week. will let you know how it goes. (Shipping from china can be slow)

I wouldn't order transistor chips from China before trying DigiKey first. DigiKey has a list of stuff much bigger and longer then Radio Shack , think of it more like Radio Shaq

Comment

• bsdkllr
              • Jan 2018

ya i checked everywhere. but only found one place that had them. however on one scanner its still not working. going to check the second one today.

Comment

Working...