Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trindaddy
    • Jan 2010

I want to post like the pros!

Nearly every time I post on this site I am blessed with a host of responses from many members. Bob busts out a barrage of videos, Steve and Orevin lay down a litany of Screen shots complete with "little red arrows" pointing at the line of interest, Mr. Rappa puts out the pages of diagrams with references, and the list goes on and on.
    I, for one, am still trying to figure out how to place dialog within the quotes! More than one of my longest (and best written) posts have been lost while trying to add an attachment I have figured out the smilies though!
    Anyway, i have briefly checked the forums here for this info, and the most i have found is some info regarding attachments in the FAQ section. Is there already a post on this topic? If not, maybe when you guys get time you could share how to use some of these advanced techniques with the crowd so we can all be better users. Here are some of my thoughts:

- What are some of the things to NOT do when making posts so as not to lose what you are/have written?
    -How do you take screen shots and post them, especially from "protected" sites?
    -Where are the tools that allow you to put arrows and things in the page? How do you do this?
    -What is the easiest way to take, store, and place attachments?
    -What other tips do you have?

Thanks for taking the time to make this site a fun and informative place to be.

Neil
  • SnapOnKid
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Trindaddy
    Nearly every time I post on this site I am blessed with a host of responses from many members. Bob busts out a barrage of videos, Steve and Orevin lay down a litany of Screen shots complete with "little red arrows" pointing at the line of interest, Mr. Rappa puts out the pages of diagrams with references, and the list goes on and on.
    I, for one, am still trying to figure out how to place dialog within the quotes! More than one of my longest (and best written) posts have been lost while trying to add an attachment I have figured out the smilies though!
    Anyway, i have briefly checked the forums here for this info, and the most i have found is some info regarding attachments in the FAQ section. Is there already a post on this topic? If not, maybe when you guys get time you could share how to use some of these advanced techniques with the crowd so we can all be better users. Here are some of my thoughts:

- What are some of the things to NOT do when making posts so as not to lose what you are/have written?
    -How do you take screen shots and post them, especially from "protected" sites?
    -Where are the tools that allow you to put arrows and things in the page? How do you do this?
    -What is the easiest way to take, store, and place attachments?
    -What other tips do you have?

Thanks for taking the time to make this site a fun and informative place to be.

Neil
    Good Questions Neil !!!

I am not familiar with the modis so I am not sure how images are captured and saved on that tool but on the Verus and Solus Pro, we have an S button that we push and it automatically saves a screen shot. We can then go back in the memroy and either transfer it with a flash drive to a regular computer. On the Solus Pro you can also transfer files through a USB cable. On the verus since its computer based, I just Email it to my self.

The editing is done in a third party program like Paint. You save the changes and rename the files.

I wish I new how to do screen shots on a regular computer that way I could walk you through it. Try this, click on post a reply. On the left hand upper cornner it will say Reply to thread. At the right of your screen should be a scroll bar. Drag it down and you will see another window that says Additional Options on the left. In the middle there will be a white bar that says Manage attachments. Click on that and it will open a new window that will let you browes your computers files for attachments you would like to post.

Maybe the other guys Will See this and the can post up some pointers and tips.

If not feel free to use the PM system and ask them for help. Were all here to learn and help each other.

Comment

• funrazor23
      • Mar 2011

on any computer there is a Print Screen or prnt scn button that you can push to get a screen shot then when in paint you can just control V to paste it and modify it

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by funrazor23
        on any computer there is a Print Screen or prnt scn button that you can push to get a screen shot then when in paint you can just control V to paste it and modify it
        Thanks for the tip!!! I will try it out when I get home.

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

Screen captures --- Screenprint32, Free download from Download.com
          Little arrows, lines and dodads ---- Annonation Wave, NOT free aeswave.com
          Smiles---Free, right side bar

Steve
          Last edited by Steve6911; 04-18-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• Trindaddy
            • Jan 2010

Test run

right to your door.jpg

Huh, that seems to work. Here's me delivering an engine job to a local body guy last December! Screen shot works too! Awesome, thanks.
            Last edited by Trindaddy; 04-18-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• Trindaddy
              • Jan 2010

I guess Joe and Greasy ain't gonna give it up!

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                • Jan 2011

tell them to quit being stingy...

Comment

• greasybob
                  • May 2008

To post a link to a video or some thing else just right click the address bar on top of the page you want to link to, then click copy, then when you want to post the link, right click again then hit paste. Just make sure to leave a space on either side of the link when you post it. Try one here and see if it works for you, if not then you can always delete your post and try again.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                    Snap-on DSD
                    • Aug 2007

I guess Joe and Greasy ain't gonna give it up!
                    I usually post screen shots from my Modis. To take them is easy once you have it set up.

Get a spare CF card and put it in the top slot.
                    go to the Utilities Menu (all the way at the bottom of the main menu)
                    Go to Tool Setup
                    Brightness Contrast Button Setup
                    Choose S Button Popup
                    Hit the N button to save it.

Go to Save Data, right near the Brightness contrast Button Setup.
                    Choose Top CF where it says Save Data (this is the default setup, so you might not have to change it)

Now you're ready to quickly save screeen shots.
                    Any time you see something on screen that you'd like to save, press the Brightness Contrast Button (the sunshine button)
                    You will get a popup menu asking what you want to do.
                    Scroll to Save Image and press the Y key. It will take a pic of whatever is on screen and save it to the CF card.

I use a CF Card Reader to retrieve the pics off the card. You can find them at any office supply store for under $20.00

To attach the image to a post here:
                    While posting your message, scroll down a little bit to find the Manage Attachments button. Click on it, and it opens a browser box. Find the file you want to put in the message and upload it.

It's more simple than it sounds....give it a try.

To respond to the question about losing your post when there is an error posting...I type any long responses in Word, and copy/paste them here. I'm not a fast typer...so losing all that text sucks.
                    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                    Henry Ford

Comment

• Trindaddy
                      • Jan 2010

Does anyone else feel like they should have to pay for this stuff?

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                        • Jan 2011

Does anyone else feel like they should have to pay for this stuff?
                        Not with as much as I have shelled out on Equipment lately...

Comment

• mode6data
                          • Apr 2011

How to access the ?

Hello everyone outhere!

I am a new user, of course not too familiar with all this. I want to acess the multimedia training courses for my modis using the same username and passowrd to log in into this blog, but it tells me "error invalid username or password" Does anybody know if i have to register somewhere else to access this training(not as a guest)?

I wrote to snap on already three times and i get no answer, if someone knows I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Comment

Working...