X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

AC leak

Sometimes if the AC gauges read no pressure at all, and the shop air compressor tank has been drained of condensate, relative humidity is low, and I'm not seeing water condensate spraying out of my air nozzle or air tools, I will pressurize an AC system with shop air and listen for an air leak rather than rushing an evacuation that won't hold and wasting a partial charge on a system you would be able to hear a hissing sound on something with a larger leak. And if you do recover a partial charges on systems with larger AC leaks the damn recovery machine pulls in air contamination before it reaches -7in hg and automatically shutsoff by it self. I manually shut machine it off at zero psi, wait 5 minutes and might recover again if pressure rises back up over 20 psi

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

So disappointing, I have these old 20 inch mudders from a swap out I did, 35 inches tall. I had a vision of crawling inside of one and rolling down the hill but I don't fit !!! I need a small tractor tire.

Comment

• DoctorD907
        • Mar 2015

Why is Bristol Palin blowing up my phone?

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Why is Bristol Palin blowing up my phone?
          Maybe She's practicing to become the next White House Intern and rather get fired by Donald than hired by Hillary?

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

It's not the contradictions that I find that bother me. It's the ones that I might be missing ??? At least when you find them you know you have all the information, right and wrong.
            Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
              • May 2008

How I found this ? An 05 Silverado with erratic abs behavior. Never see this before. The front axle shows 10 mph greater than the rear at highway speeds. the tires were up graded to 285's from 245's but the ABS module tire size had been changed too. At first I didn't pay any attention when the Verus auto ID wanted to register this vehicle as a GMC. Wrong VIN, it turns out that somewhere in the life of this truck the PCM had been changed but never flashed with the correct vehicle calibration. The ABS to PCM tire speed inputs perhaps were never a problem until the tire up grade ? I flashed the PCM and checked for the proper ECBM set up again and the speeds seem to be more inline. Maybe some one else has some inside knowledge of how the ECBM and PCM recalibrate when the tire size is change in the EBCM setup. AS far as I know there is no separate tire size set up for the PCM. The EBCM allows for a 10% difference before C0238 code will set. the rear axle speed is measured at the transfer case out put shaft by the PCM and sent to the EBCM.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Crossland Auto
                • Jul 2014

sorry about the rant the other night. Just having a rough go at it lately. I have been the only one turning a wrench for this 4,000 sq. foot shop for 15 years. Always paid the bills, everything has been great.
                The last year and a half, have been tough. Have never had so many problems. Running up the credit cards to pay bills. Just finally recovering from the V.W. loss, get the Ranger.

ENOUGH WHINING....

Took yesterday off. Came in today to get into Ranger. Found something that makes me say "Hmmmm."
                Attached Files

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Well THAT sure would explain the constant clatter. Now I'm curious, A) what was going on that it would quiet down earlier, and B) what caused it-??

Lifter not staying pumped up, bent push rod, arm sticking on the shaft, valve stem sticking in the guide, worn quide causing the valve to shift, worn flat where the arm meets the valve stem-???

Way to go. You know some of what was going on but WHY-???
                  I've got 2400 sq-ft. If I had 4000 I'd just have more "stuff"....LOL

Comment

• Crossland Auto
                    • Jul 2014

EXACTLY!!!! I have 1 definite answer, but has now created a few more questions.

X

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

EXACTLY!!!! I have 1 definite answer, but has now created a few more questions.
                      If the tip of the valve stem or rocker arm is worn uneven the rocker might tend to walk off to the side. I would make sure it's not consequential from driving through standing water, or cylinder hydrolock issue from leaking fuel injector or intake gasket. Bent pushrod or sticking valve that hangs open, weak valve spring? Change the rocker and pushrod, flip the rocker shaft fore and aft.

Comment

• Crusty
                        • Dec 2007

Are those little flecks of metal I see right beside the rocker shaft support?

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Turds get flushed

Are those little flecks of metal I see right beside the rocker shaft support?
                          Looks like RTV crumbs to me. A 99 Ranger, I wouldn't hesitate to source another rocker shaft with the 6 push rods matched to their rockers from a U-Pull it for $19.95 and dress the tip of the valve stem flat with a angle die grinder with a cookie , deburr the edges and Ship The Turd in a HeartbeatEarl Chive would be proud of me.

Comment

• Crossland Auto
                            • Jul 2014

Rocker, valve stem, shaft, and even pushrod look good. Reset, cranked over, New Lifter is bad. My bet is that the pushrod has been bouncing around while the lifter was clacking. I was running it at 5K many times for quite a while. Gotta pull head and replace new lifter with another. ****!!!! LOL

X

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

those 4.0 heads are prone to crack so I would gradually detorque the bolts in sequence. Maybe I would also crank over the engine for awhile with the heads off and the bad lifter removed to see to view clean oil squirt out the lifter galley before putting new one in, then crank again till i see solid oil start to come out all the lifters where pushrods seat . When you have the head off you might want to check that exhaust valve face ,seat and rotate the valve 180 so if their is a slight angle wear on the tip the rocker move to the other side against the solid shaft mounting boss instead of against spring pressure

Comment

• Crossland Auto
                                • Jul 2014

Agreed all the way around. All part of my plan.

X

Comment

Working...