Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandt38
    • May 2012

Low Profile Organizer case

Disappointing in many ways. I do a lot of mobile diagnosis and was hoping to carry my Verus much more easily than I have. So I bought the $261 case in the hopes that I could safely carry my device and all "standard accessories" as advertized.

So the case is sturdy and attractive. It is far more mobile than the box I got the Verus with, as it is just a fraction of the size. But in opening it and pulling my OBDI adapters out of the bags they came in left me a little bit pissed off. I hadn't realized, but the tool did not come with any Chrysler/Jeep or Hyundai OBDI adapters?

Seriously? I paid $11 grand for OBDI and OBDII coverage of domestic, Asian, and European and SnapOn can't provide me with Chrysler/Jeep adapters? I have to spend either another $120 for Jeep and Chrysler adapters or I can spend $134 for the remaining Chrysler1, Chrysler2, Jeep1, Import Multi2, Hyundai2, a jumper lead set, and some ground leads. So basically I didn't get OBDI, I got 1/2 of the total OBDI, as well as incomplete Asian coverage. That's some BS right there.

I also can't get the OBDI cable to fit in the box without jamming it in the wrong slot, I can't get my scope leads (Oh yeah, I can cram 2 in there if I really jam it up) or the cheesy probe set they give me with it in there. What's worse, I can't get my wireless module in there!!!

So much for the case holding my "standard accessories".

I was hoping for a little room for my European adapters as well, but that is a 100% no go. Looks like I will have to carry a bunch of my components in my laptop case, which is what I was hoping to get away from. I do a lot of work for other shops, and I can't tell you how often I arrive at one and get asked to check another car or 2 out for them. So it is beneficial to have everything with me when I go on a job.

While the case looks nice, it definitely does not live up to it's billing at all. Not only that, but it showed me that I have to spend even more money for the tool I bought that could do everything... because it only does everything if you buy the most basic accessories that every other OBDI scanner already has included... Seriously? No Chrysler or Jeep?

2 thumbs down. 1 for the lack of Chrysler/Jeep OBDI adapters, and 1 for the case NOT housing all my standard accessories.
    Attached Files
  • SnapOnKid
    • Jan 2011

All though the OBD1 short coming is a separate issue, great way to document what's wrong with the current accessories!!!

I purchased a Foam kit for my cart that was supposedly designed around the original Gen1 Verus and it was less then expected as well. I can only imagine the disappointment a Gen2 Verus user would have or even if some one updated the wireless add on to a Gen 1 unit I was disappointed for what I paid for it and the fact that it was non-returnable!!!

I was assured that it was corrected in later revisions but never received a follow up...

Comment

• sandt38
      • May 2012

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the Mittsubishi adapter has no slot. I had to jam it into the Jeep slot. I guess I will have to put it in one of the side slots eliminating the ability to carry either my charger or my scope leads when I get the missing adapters for OBDI.

Comment

• Bob Heybrock
        • Jan 2011

Heck, I can hardly cram all my current accessories in my standard case with Euro, OBDI & II, low & high amp probes, charger, cords, etc, etc that I never even thought a smaller case would come close to doing the job. It looks like it would be a nice way of carrying limited (emphasizing limited) accessories however but I'll be sure to think twice before buying one.

Comment

• Sparkey
          • Nov 2008

it cost snap-on less than $20 to have those bags made up for them... i shocked to think some one would pay them nearly $300 for one.... I guess i'm in the wrong business...

Comment

• Snap-on_ULTRA
            • Jul 2012

Seriously? I paid $11 grand for OBDI and OBDII coverage of domestic, Asian, and European and SnapOn can't provide me with Chrysler/Jeep adapters? I have to spend either another $120 for Jeep and Chrysler adapters or I can spend $134 for the remaining Chrysler1, Chrysler2, Jeep1, Import Multi2, Hyundai2, a jumper lead set, and some ground leads. So basically I didn't get OBDI, I got 1/2 of the total OBDI, as well as incomplete Asian coverage. That's some BS right there.
            The reason why Snap-on is respected and valued across the world is because of the pricing. Overpriced brand keeps low end mechanics from owning it and keeps you elevated in mechanic business for having snap on brand scanners and tools.
            It is a same if you buy 1988 Ferrari F40 for half of million dollars and you go on ferrari forums bitching about that it did not come with A/C system and no CD player.

Fact is no scan tool in the world can beat OBD1 coverage of snap on mt2500 legacy software. It has the most connectors than any other tool in the world. I suggest you to get MT2500 kit for OBD1 coverage only, it does better job on OBD1 than any other tool. You can get a delux kit on ebay for about 300 dollars now. Then use your Verus kit only for OBD2 coverage.
            There is no money to be made with OBD1 cars anyway, most of them are thrashed by now and people will not spend money on them.

Comment

• sbreland73
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Snap-on_ULTRA

There is no money to be made with OBD1 cars anyway, most of them are thrashed by now and people will not spend money on them.
              Exactly. So why bother, or invest time or money to service these relics. I get to tell folks at least a few times a month "Sorry Mr. Customer, your vehicle is too old for us. Our equipment and service information does not go back that far. Just curious, what is your budget for this vehicle?" Customer replies "Well not much, I don't want to sink a lot of money in it."

According to the smart companies that do all the research, the average age of autos here in the U.S.A. is about 11 years old. http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...olk/52613102/1
              This means that you really only need coverage to go back to the year 2000 = OBDII. Just my Lincoln + Lincoln.
              Last edited by sbreland73; 07-20-2012, 06:06 PM.
              S. Breland

Comment

• tecnick
                • May 2012

Having OBD l coverage means you don't have to send vehicles away with the "I don't have the proper tools to service your car" story. A lot of customers have older vehicles still out there and for some reason still put money into repairing them.

Back on topic of the OP the low profile case is great for side work but not really a direct storage replacement.

Comment

• sandt38
                  • May 2012

Fact is no scan tool in the world can beat OBD1 coverage of snap on mt2500 legacy software. It has the most connectors than any other tool in the world. I suggest you to get MT2500 kit for OBD1 coverage only, it does better job on OBD1 than any other tool. You can get a delux kit on ebay for about 300 dollars now. Then use your Verus kit only for OBD2 coverage.
                  Not a huge fan of the brick. It was a great tool in it's day, but mine has been in storage for a long time now.

Originally posted by sbreland73
                  Exactly. So why bother, or invest time or money to service these relics. I get to tell folks at least a few times a month "Sorry Mr. Customer, your vehicle is too old for us. Our equipment and service information does not go back that far. Just curious, what is your budget for this vehicle?" Customer replies "Well not much, I don't want to sink a lot of money in it."
                  Heh... I make plenty of side money doing OBDI work. Typically most of my money comes from shops who say "Sorry Mr. Customer, your vehicle is too old for us"

Originally posted by tecnick
                  Having OBD l coverage means you don't have to send vehicles away with the "I don't have the proper tools to service your car" story. A lot of customers have older vehicles still out there and for some reason still put money into repairing them.

Back on topic of the OP the low profile case is great for side work but not really a direct storage replacement.
                  Yeah, I don't send money out the door.

All I use it for is side work. My diag tools sit in a big roll cart at the shop. But I do a lot of side work, so portable storage is important.

Comment

• Snap-on_ULTRA
                    • Jul 2012

Not a huge fan of the brick. It was a great tool in it's day, but mine has been in storage for a long time now.
                    You can't fit it all into overpriced slim case, maybe snap on people made it for maximum efficiency rather than "collector's connectors" slim storage. Even if all the OBD1 connectors would fit you still need those obd1 reference manuals that scanner will point you to the pages how to properly get codes manually and pictures of how to bridge what in order to extract codes. New scanners come with CDs with those books in PDF formats, you don't have time to boot up your laptop and waste all that time defeats the purpose of what you want to have.
                    Last edited by Snap-on_ULTRA; 07-21-2012, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• sandt38
                      • May 2012

You can't fit it all into overpriced slim case, maybe snap on people made it for maximum efficiency rather than "collector's connectors" slim storage. Even if all the OBD1 connectors would fit you still need those obd1 reference manuals that scanner will point you to the pages how to properly get codes manually and pictures of how to bridge what in order to extract codes. New scanners come with CDs with those books in PDF formats, you don't have time to boot up your laptop and waste all that time defeats the purpose of what you want to have.
                      Actually all the info is already on the scan tool. There is no need for user manuals or jumper manuals with the Verus.

Comment

Working...